Little Things that Annoy You on the Screen?

Page 1 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 11:36 am

TV or movies.

• Pocketbooks with nothing in them.
  • People who FAKE taking a drink of something!! !! !! !! !
  • Women who don't wear undergarments and you can see their deep-well belly-button, or underwear, etc. (Jennifer Hudson in "Dream Girls", when she came onstage at the end----HORRIBLE!! !)

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 12:07 pm

When someone is making a phone call and they're instantly talking to someone two seconds after punching in the number.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 1:38 pm

The use of 555 as a prefix for phone numbers. I understand why they do it, but it's always distracting. It'd be better not to have the character recite a number at all.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 2:55 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
When someone is making a phone call and they're instantly talking to someone two seconds after punching in the number.

Oh, yeah, I know what you mean. I hate that, too!! (BTW, your new avatar's cool!!)

~~~~~~~~~

I also hate when a woman wakes-up in full makeup!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 3:55 pm

-People in reality shows who must have never even watched or known anything about the show before even coming on and are always shocked when they find out it's not what they expected. How many people have there been on that boring Survivor who can't even swim, or the mothers on that stupid Wife Swap where they never seem to know they'll be spending a week with a family who is the polar opposite of their own?

-People who drink booze constantly on a show and yet never or hardly ever appear drunk.
-People (usually guys) who have sex with a different woman each day of the week and yet no one gets STD's or pregnant.

- Commercial cliffhangers. These are especially aggravating on reality shows, where they make it look like something extreme is about to happen (like a guy who is furious picks up a chair like he's going to hit someone with it, they cut to commercial and then afterwards all he does is put it back down again).

-Trailers or teasers. They always lie. ALWAYS. They take things out of context and make it look like something more extreme than it actually is on the show, much like commercial cliffhangers. Yet again reality shows are the worst when it comes to this. I once saw a teaser that made it look like someone's restaurant had been set on fire by some tragic accident but it was actually destroyed by the host and staff of the show after they opened up a NEW one.

-Kids who are complete brats while their parents are clueless and we're supposed to believe that's cute or funny but instead smacking them hard would be a joy - this is especially horrible in commercials where kids get away with things like stealing food from their infant sibling and then the half-wit parent thinks the baby ate it while the poor helpless baby is still hungry and unable to tell what really happened. I saw an ad the other day where a teen boy just snatches the cereal box out of his father's hand without even asking- and then pours it in his mouth directly from the box not caring at all about how he's getting his germs in the cereal, and then he washes it down with milk he also drinks from the carton. If I even tried something like that I think my parents would still be scraping bits of me of the walls with a spatuala :lol: a week later.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 5:34 pm

Another one: people playing video games and they're just mashing buttons instead of playing it realistically. Also, even PS3 and Xbox games are given sound effects that belong to old Atari games for some reason.

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2014, 10:54 pm

When girls in movies are fighting other people and wearing high heels or simply running, if you notice the moment the fight starts or when they start running the heels become flat and then switch back like magic to high again.
Just a few examples :
In Time, when Amanda Seyfried starts running her 6 inch heels turn into 1 or 2 inch and back to 6 inch.
Daphne in Scooby-Doo, when she starts kicking butt, she goes flat.
Silk Specter in Watchem, the same, she goes flat once the action starts, and high once the scene ends.
Catwoman in Tim Burton's Batman : The same has previously.
Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises : The same has previously.
Baby Doll in Sucker Punch : The same has previously.
Angelina Jolie in Mr and Ms Smith : The same has previously.
Elektra : The same has previously.
Salt : The same has previously.
The Long Kiss Goodnight : The same has previously.
And they are 1000 of films like that, not to mention TV shows.

Cars always find a place to park.
One bullet to a car is enough for it to explode.
Bad guys can't shoot, they empty clips after clips at the hero and can never hit him.
Bed sheet have a weird slope design so that when a couple is in bed we always see the man's torso but the sheet is always covering the girl's breast.
The Black guy always dies first.
In war movies, when a German is killed he falls down nice and clean, when a Japanese soldier is killed he jumps back doing a loud scream, when a US soldier gets killed he has time to talk for 2 minutes "tell my parents I love them, tell my girl back home I fell has a hero, take car of my dog for me, and tell my brother I'm proud falling for my country, and please don't forget to water my plants back home" and then he closes his eyes.
In Horror movies people always run upstairs when the killer is after them instead of running outside.
In Samurai films, people always have 100 liter (22 gallons) of highly pressurized blood in them (ok, that one is cool).
Kids know to use complicated Linux operating system and accessing secret files just by typing random stuff on a keyboard (Jurassic Park for example)
People never wear seat belts, and when they crash they never come out flying from the windshield.
People often have sex but keep their clothes one, even their pants :?
... and so and so...

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 5:19 pm

TV shows that were shot (?) in widescreen, and some important stuff is off my screen----like, when they put the name of the speaker up on the screen, half of it I can't read and have to guess. I'm sorry, but I really, REALLY think I'm the majority, and that the minority has widescreen TVs!! !

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 6:17 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
TV shows that were shot (?) in widescreen, and some important stuff is off my screen----like, when they put the name of the speaker up on the screen, half of it I can't read and have to guess. I'm sorry, but I really, REALLY think I'm the majority, and that the minority has widescreen TVs!! !

Your video settings are off if text is going off-screen, even if you're watching widescreen content on a square TV. Your DVD player or cable box or whatever should be set on 4:3 rather than 16:9.

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2014, 1:51 am

Campin_Cat wrote:

Hello, if you are still using a square tube TV, then you should set your TV in a way so that you get the "black bars" on top and on bottom, like that nothing will be cropped, sure you will lose a portion of your screen due to these black bars, but hey, that's widescreen.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2014, 3:02 am

When someone is doing a fake driving scene and keeps turning the wheel every few seconds, like he's on a go-kart track or something.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 3:05 am

Driving scenes where the characters move the wheel around way too much, as if they've never driven a car before.

Overly complicated, unrealistic criminal schemes. I've got to knock The Blacklist for this one, since I watched it recently and it's fresh in my mind, the most flagrant example being an episode featuring a gang that kidnaps "genetically superior" women, holds them under anesthesia for months or years at a time, while repeatedly impregnating them in order to sell the children to rich families wanting to adopt "perfect" children. I just couldn't get past the ridiculousness of how much it would cost to hold someone that way for that long vs how much you could possibly get for the kid, there's just no way you could make any money at that.

I was also annoyed at a more recent episode where a sleeper agent with some sort of split personality is shown breaking into a building, assembling a rather large sniper rifle with an improbably small silencer (that nonetheless knocks the report down to the Hollywood 'thwoip!' sound), which she then uses to shoot two guys across the street, like maybe 30 yards away... It makes even less sense when the rest of her team rushes in with silenced pistols, which would have been way more practical for the whole thing anyway, but then inexplicably tase the protagonist, when they shot most everyone else. And the show started off so well too...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 3:16 am

Actually, I mentioned it in another thread a while back, but possibly my number one is writers telling us that a character has certain attributes or abilities, then showing us something totally different. My arch example of this one is Dexter, where we're told that Dexter is this cunning criminal, having been able to commit countless murders over the years under the very noses of the Miami police, but over the course of the show we see him repeatedly tailing people from close range with no disguise, brazenly breaking into people's houses in the middle of the day, again without so much as a ball cap and sunglasses, driving his own car to numerous crimes (with his GPS on, as seen in season 2), using his cell phone while committing crimes, and generally not behaving like a master criminal capable of escaping detection for so long. It would have been such an easy fix too, just have the guy change his clothes or pull on a hat and shades, switch his plates around, anything. Don't even get me started on keeping all that evidence of mass murder in his A/C unit...

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 8:13 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
-Kids who are complete brats while their parents are clueless and we're supposed to believe that's cute or funny but instead smacking them hard would be a joy - this is especially horrible in commercials where kids get away with things like stealing food from their infant sibling and then the half-wit parent thinks the baby ate it while the poor helpless baby is still hungry and unable to tell what really happened. I saw an ad the other day where a teen boy just snatches the cereal box out of his father's hand without even asking- and then pours it in his mouth directly from the box not caring at all about how he's getting his germs in the cereal, and then he washes it down with milk he also drinks from the carton.

I think commercials like that are funny. We have this series of funny commercials here for the site finn[dot]no; it starts with one where the parents have sold their teenage son's drum set. Then he gets even by selling the skis. They later sell his PlayStation to buy him an I-Pod for his birthday. And later the father pretends to want to take a picture of the mother because he think she looks so pretty, but it's just to get a pic of the fur coat she's wearing so he can sell it. That one has actually been translated by someone, so for anyone who wants to take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tz-Ega_q6E

Wide screen annoys me. I want the screen filled up, thank you very much. If I had wanted a smaller screen I would have gotten a smaller TV!

A plot that annoys me is how man and woman meets, take an immediate hate to each other, but of course that means they really want each other. Phu-leeze!

In Knight Rider it annoyed me that it always ended with Michael kissing a woman, and in the one episode where the only female was a girl too young for him to kiss, she kissed him. And don't get me started on James Bond. In the same vein: Villains who lose because they take the time to explain to the hero why or how they did it. So lame!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 11:45 am

Jory wrote:
Your video settings are off if text is going off-screen, even if you're watching widescreen content on a square TV. Your DVD player or cable box or whatever should be set on 4:3 rather than 16:9.

I don't have cable. In the example I gave, I wasn't using my DVD player. I checked my TV's "Menu", and didn't see anywhere to change my screen's ratio. Can you, maybe, tell me something else that might do it, please?

SpirosD wrote:
Hello, if you are still using a square tube TV, then you should set your TV in a way so that you get the "black bars" on top and on bottom, like that nothing will be cropped, sure you will lose a portion of your screen due to these black bars, but hey, that's widescreen.

I'd rather guess at the words----I HATE having those black portions at the top and bottom of my screen!! ! Thanks for responding, though!! I appreciate your trying to help!!

Skilpadde wrote:
Wide screen annoys me. I want the screen filled up, thank you very much.

Me, TOO!! ! I had to actually buy TWO movies, at times, cuz the widescreen one had all the extras, but I REFUSE to watch the movie, and had to also buy "regular" so I could watch the movie!! I can't BEGIN to tell ya how sick I am of these big businesses making choices for me, and FORCING me to do "whatever" the way they want----the way they make even MORE money----and, taking the choices away from ME!! !

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 1:33 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I don't have cable. In the example I gave, I wasn't using my DVD player. I checked my TV's "Menu", and didn't see anywhere to change my screen's ratio. Can you, maybe, tell me something else that might do it, please?

If it's not a cable box or DVD or Blu-ray player, what content are you watching?

Campin_Cat wrote:
I'd rather guess at the words----I HATE having those black portions at the top and bottom of my screen!! ! Thanks for responding, though!! I appreciate your trying to help!!

Since the vast majority of content being produced is in widescreen, you're going to get black bars on pretty much everything. Otherwise the TV will be zooming in on the image and cutting off the sides to get it to fit on the square screen, and that's when text and other stuff starts going off-screen. Even if you get a widescreen TV, a lot of movies are still going to have black bars since a lot of different aspect ratios (film sizes) are used.