Little Things that Annoy You on the Screen?

Page 4 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2014, 9:35 am

Jory wrote:
SpirosD wrote:
Something I also hate about films, is that foreigners always speak English along with there native language, every Russian speak English, every Japanese, even ancient Samurais speak English like in The Last Samurai, every German also speaks English, mostly in WW2 films, and Arabs who live in the desert and who have never had access to library in their life also speaks English, along with their foreign tongue.
Take Inglorious Basterd, great film, but why have the German officer switching from French to English if not just to make it easier on the audience, plus it's dumb because 70% of the movie was not shot in English, most of the time they are speaking German and French. And notice every German in the film speaks English and French.

Some films will start off with the characters speaking in their native language but then switch to English, with the understanding that they're still speaking their native language but the audience is just hearing it in English. One nice example is The 13th Warrior, which has the main character (a stranger in a foreign land) not being able to understand the other characters at first, but after he learns their language, we hear all the dialogue in English to reflect the fact that he now understands and can speak their language. I wish more movies would use this tactic, since it removes the need to read subtitles but still establishes that foreign characters are speaking their own language.

That technique is fair and works in certain films, but most times it doesn't. In Inglorious Basterds they start in French and then the Nazi officer tells the Frenchman that he prefers continuing in English. WTF!! ! I speak both, French and English and Christoph Waltz French is better than his English (and his English is great btw) so it makes even less sense.
Anyway, it's just cinema, films are not suppose to be in reality, they are a fantasy and you can allow these kind of things.
But what I do hate is pure dubbing of foreign films, when I see a Japanese, Hong-Kong, Spanish, Russian, Thai, Italian, Arabic, Israeli or even North Korean film (yes NK does makes films) I want to see it in their original language and will always prefer reading subtitles than listing to dubbing, that is the charm, earing other language, plus dubbing is a travesty of art. But that is another debate for a new topic about Dubbing Vs Subtitles.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 12:21 pm

Female characters that are somebody's shabby sexual fantasy in shows that are aimed at a family-oriented demographic.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2014, 6:37 pm

SpirosD wrote:
They even changed the James Bond movie title License Revoked into License to Kill because they thought Americans wouldn't understand what revoke means.

Good Grief!! !

I agree with the others "License to Kill" is MUCH better!!

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

23 Oct 2014, 1:18 am

When they're talking to someone while driving, and they don't keep their eyes on the road

AQ: 46

PigeonSpotter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Oct 2014, 6:13 am

When somebody is given a specific amount of time to do something, and the actual time spent is much longer. (Sometimes shorter, but usually longer.)

When a bomb is always diffused with one second left on the timer.

The dreaded "close-up facial shot" always seen on soap operas just before breaking to a commercial.

Women keeping their bras on during sex.

Nature documentaries that always play bassoon music when a bear is on the screen.

People with crappy jobs somehow being able to afford living alone in a New York or L.A. apartment.

ANY non-live show that uses a laugh track.

Shows with groups of 3-5 friends who always seem to do everything together, seemingly without making plans beforehand.

Late-night talk-show hosts who always make a weird facial expression after every joke as if it were a cue for the audience to laugh. (I love Bill Maher, but he's notorious for this.)

Japanese monster movies in which the monster just stands there while the heroes are plotting how to kill it.

Any movie in which a character is presumed dead, and then...SURPRISE! They're alive!

Commercials that use euphemisms like "gentle overnight relief."

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 8:33 am

Continuity that is "off"----like, in one shot their glass is almost empty, then, in the next shot, their glass is half-full.

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

26 Oct 2014, 10:31 am

A talk show audience applauding every time someone says anything with a firm cadence.

PigeonSpotter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Oct 2014, 11:54 am

Another one I just thought of: Made-for-TV dramas that use childish expressions in lieu of swearing, like "Oh shoot!" or "Holy cow!" (MTV's The State did a hilarious satire on this back in the 90s.)

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2014, 7:22 pm

Didn't read the whole thread yet so sorry if this has already been mentioned but I *can't stand* when someone is talking about a person and they say "that" instead of "who", as in, "The man that stole the car". It should be, "The man who stole the car"! :x I even catch news anchors doing this - you'd think they'd use better grammar than this.

My little pet peeve :lol:

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2014, 7:25 pm

PigeonSpotter wrote:
People with crappy jobs somehow being able to afford living alone in a New York or L.A. apartment.

YES

I always wondered about that on Seinfeld! Sometimes about George as sometimes he worked and sometimes he didn't, and always about Kramer - did he ever work? And yet he could afford an apartment in NY! :huh:

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 7:45 pm

PigeonSpotter wrote:
Another one I just thought of: Made-for-TV dramas that use childish expressions in lieu of swearing, like "Oh shoot!" or "Holy cow!"

This reminds of something that annoys me: Sometimes I have seen swear words like another word for rectum be translated to a mild and rather silly term on TV here. I think that's ludicrous. Translators should keep the level of language true.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 9:10 am

Speaking of the grammar of news people.... I HATE it when they say "an historical" (Matt Lauer does it ALL-the-TIME!! !). "An" is only to be used with an "H" word, when the "H" is silent----like, with "hour"! !!

As for Kramer: He actually DID have a job. He was on strike from a job at a bakery (I THINK it was a bakery), and one episode was about him returning to work there----but he didn't last long. LOL Also, he took a job at some firm----he carried a brief case and everything----but, if I remember correctly, nobody hired him, he just started going to work, there!! LOL STILL, I don't know how he could afford the apartment----it WAS "rent-controlled", if I remember correctly, but, STILL..... Seems to me he might have been on Disability, too----or, some-such other benefit....

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 9:19 am

MadHatterMatador wrote:
A talk show audience applauding every time someone says anything with a firm cadence.

Oh, I know----I hate that TOO!! I've been to a couple of Talk Shows in NY, and they have people that prompt the audience to clap (gotta kiss those celebrity butts), and/or a sign that says "Applause". It pissed-me-off!! ! LOL I REFUSED to clap when the person told me too, unless I TRULY wanted to clap!! !!

PigeonSpotter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Oct 2014, 11:37 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Speaking of the grammar of news people.... I HATE it when they say "an historical" (Matt Lauer does it ALL-the-TIME!! !). "An" is only to be used with an "H" word, when the "H" is silent----like, with "hour"! !

There are differing views about this issue among grammarians. Those who say "an historical" are following the view that "an" should be used before a noun beginning with H if the following word begins with an unaccented syllable. Since the accent in the word "historical" falls on the second syllable ("stor"), saying "an historical" would be consistent with this rule.

But others disagree.

Here's an article on the issue:

http://grammartips.homestead.com/historical.html

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 4:55 am

SpirosD wrote:

They even changed the James Bond movie title License Revoked into License to Kill because they thought Americans wouldn't understand what revoke means.

The Hammer Horror film The Devil Rides Out (1968) was released as The Devil's Bride in the USA, in case Americans thought it was a Western! :D

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2014, 5:36 pm

I hate when sitcoms go out of their way to create awkward or embarrassing situations. It makes me uncomfortable. I also don't like certain situations when they can't end an episode happily, like in Spongebob when Squidward was lying to his rival about owning a restaurant, and of course he has to be exposed at the end. It just feels like a slap in the face to the audience.