-People should know when they're conquered
-Would you Quintus would I?

In my opinion, this one scene is a summary of the whole movie
Always fight for your case and never surrender

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 11:11 pm

I don't know how to post using youtube but my favorite scene is when Maximus wakes up when his hand touches a stone after a slave caravan acquires him. Another slave, Juba, says to him "Don't die".

I agree that one scene summarizes the whole film.

I also like the quote "What we do in life, echoes in eternity". I think that is true, even to the smallest degree.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 12:08 am

Excellent movie; unfortunately also one that it's apparently fashionable for people on the internet to hate on.

Screw 'em, Gladiator is awesome. :thumleft: The Steelbook Blu-ray is one of the prizes of my collection.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 12:09 am

I like the scene where Maximus kicks ass.... it's about 2 hours long.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 6:34 am

Commodus is on my list of most hated villians. Maximus got his revenge and proved to be the better man. Even when he cheated, Commodus still lost.

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2014, 9:26 am

My favorite scene is the "My name is Maximus" speech.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i0u4jFmE78[/youtube]

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 2:27 pm

My favourite scene has got to be Maxmius screaming "ROMA VICTOR!" after the battle with the barbarians, it's stirring and sends shivers up my spine. Still a masterpiece after 14 years.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 2:53 pm

SpirosD wrote:
My favorite scene is the "My name is Maximus" speech.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i0u4jFmE78[/youtube]

Yes that was good,

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 2:55 pm

Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind are my favorite movies with Russell Crowe.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 12:57 am

LexingtonDeville wrote:
My favourite scene has got to be Maxmius screaming "ROMA VICTOR!" after the battle with the barbarians, it's stirring and sends shivers up my spine. Still a masterpiece after 14 years.

I was actually cheering for the Germanic Barbarians - but that's just me.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 7:43 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
LexingtonDeville wrote:

Why they ware barbarian after all?
The Roman bring civilization to to uncivilized nations like British did in XIX century or USA in XX century :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 12:10 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LexingtonDeville wrote:

The Roman bring civilization to to uncivilized nations like British did in XIX century or USA in XX century :D

But those Barbarians - who in fact were most of our ancestors, if you or your people come from north of the Alps - were considerably freer than the Romans, and were still electing their chiefs or kings, and war leaders in popular assemblies. And while slavery existed, it didn't exist on nearly a wide scale as among the Romans, and most slaves had the status more resembling medieval serfs, farming land for a landlord. And the best of Barbarian metallurgy in fact surpassed anything the Romans had, though admittedly, this was the work of individual craftsmen who couldn't mass produce products like the Romans could.
Oh, and Barbarians actually bathed with soap and warm water, while the Romans covered themselves with oil while using the public baths, which they then used a tool to scrape off dead skin and dirt. :eew:

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2014, 1:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LexingtonDeville wrote:

But those Barbarians - who in fact were most of our ancestors, if you or your people come from north of the Alps - were considerably freer than the Romans, and were still electing their chiefs or kings, and war leaders in popular assemblies. And while slavery existed, it didn't exist on nearly a wide scale as among the Romans, and most slaves had the status more resembling medieval serfs, farming land for a landlord. And the best of Barbarian metallurgy in fact surpassed anything the Romans had, though admittedly, this was the work of individual craftsmen who couldn't mass produce products like the Romans could.
Oh, and Barbarians actually bathed with soap and warm water, while the Romans covered themselves with oil while using the public baths, which they then used a tool to scrape off dead skin and dirt. :eew:

Yes, and before everyone, when the rest of the world was still living in cages, ancient Greece had their own civilization, invented democracy and started the bases of what most free societies are today.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 2:48 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LexingtonDeville wrote:

I was joked:-)
Despite all wrongdoing that my country suffered from let we say "descendants" of this Germanic tribes, i also cheering them, because i always cheer the underdogs, people with balls or cajones as Spaniards call it, Germans tribes had cajones because they chosen to stand and fight even if they had no chance with let we say Roman military-industrial complex :D and Maximums had caiones even more because he was Iberian :lol:
And chosen to stand against mad Emperor Commodus.

I like that scene
http://youtu.be/hVKjzUhyufY?t=1m50s

Even with my basic knowledge of modern German i can understand what that mean :D

PS.
at university (during my bachelor studies) i forgot to enroll to compulsory foreign language (we need to have knowledge on B2-1 (intermediate) level of any foreign language i want to Enroll to English course when I remembered it was to language i can only enroll to German or Russian, i chosen German because it similar to English , Russian i is similar to Polish but the have strange alphabet. Year latter i switched German To English because i cannot learn it, I thought it silly number of difficult and complicated grammatical rules, nothing beats my native Polish language, but I was wrong :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 7:35 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LexingtonDeville wrote:

I was joked:-)
Despite all wrongdoing that my country suffered from let we say "descendants" of this Germanic tribes, i also cheering them, because i always cheer the underdogs, people with balls or cajones as Spaniards call it, Germans tribes had cajones because they chosen to stand and fight even if they had no chance with let we say Roman military-industrial complex :D and Maximums had caiones even more because he was Iberian :lol:
And chosen to stand against mad Emperor Commodus.

I like that scene
http://youtu.be/hVKjzUhyufY?t=1m50s

Even with my basic knowledge of modern German i can understand what that mean :D

PS.
at university (during my bachelor studies) i forgot to enroll to compulsory foreign language (we need to have knowledge on B2-1 (intermediate) level of any foreign language i want to Enroll to English course when I remembered it was to language i can only enroll to German or Russian, i chosen German because it similar to English , Russian i is similar to Polish but the have strange alphabet. Year latter i switched German To English because i cannot learn it, I thought it silly number of difficult and complicated grammatical rules, nothing beats my native Polish language, but I was wrong :D

While in comparison to the Romans. the Germanic tribes were definitely the underdogs, but they certainly had a pretty good chance of winning military engagements against Roman legions. The Sugambri with other Germanic tribes had beaten a legion on Roman controlled Gallic soil. Two decades later, a coalition of Germanic tribes under the leadership of Germany's first and greatest national hero, Arminius, had rebelled successfully against Rome's rule in the Teutoberg forest, annihilating three legions and permanently pushing back Rome's borders beyond the Rhine. And while the Romans could often beat the Germans, the latter kept fighting till the Romans became worn out and left.
The scene in the movie Gladiator dealt with a real Germanic/Roman war called the Marcomannic war. Former allies of Rome, the Marcomanni had been pushed by tribes behind them, so out of desperation, the Marcomanni pressed on the Roman border. Soon several other tribes became involved, tying up Emperor Marcus Aurelius on the Danube for years. His crazy son Comadus, more interested in gladiatorial games than in statecraft, made peace with the Barbarians, despite several significant victories, then returned home to Rome.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 7:47 pm

SpirosD wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LexingtonDeville wrote:

Yes, and before everyone, when the rest of the world was still living in cages, ancient Greece had their own civilization, invented democracy and started the bases of what most free societies are today.

Well, the Athenians certainly had founded the political philosophy that western civilization bases much of it's current free governments on, but a counter argument could be made how the Spartans represented a regimented, militaristic society that bore closer resemblance to twentieth century fascism.
And while the Athenians had a democratic system governing their city state, they were hardly the only people who had popular assemblies and parliaments representing the will of the people. The Athenians, as I had already stated, had had a political philosophy emphasizing the worth of the individual that we have been able to draw from, which other societies had not left.