Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2014, 4:15 am

What do you guys think of the film Mary and Max (2009) and its look on autism? I really like the video in this article that describes aspergers from Max's: point of view http://blog.animationstudies.org/?p=704
Especially when Max says he doesn't feel disabled and how he likes being himself. I think of lot of NTs don't really understand that (maybe, from what I've seen so far...). It was also a good movie in general (and should have been at least nominated for the 2009 animated feature).

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

22 Oct 2014, 5:03 pm

I think it's accurate as far as the character goes, but I think other movies like Adam are far more detailed. Like, I wouldn't recommend this for someone to understand what Asperger's is, but at the same time, I do think this character is a realistic aspie character. I don't think the movie was as good as Up, The Princess and the Frog, or Coraline, but I haven't seen the other nominees, so I can't really say if I think it should've been nominated or not. I liked the beginning more than the end.

AQ: 46

danothan24
Raven
Raven

22 Oct 2014, 6:10 pm

Saw it a couple years ago, and I enjoyed it. MadHatter nailed it on not feeling disabled. Personally, I work full time at a regular job and get by just fine. I do have pretty intense social issues outside of work, but rarely do I feel overwhelmed with supporting myself. Honestly, I get tired of the notion that there's an apparently "right" way to think and feel, and if you differ from that at all you're mentally ill. But I'll stop there before I derail this into a conspiracy theory thread about big pharma :P

As for nominations, I'd have to look back at the competition that year to really say. It was a decent movie, but probably a little too strange for the Academy's taste. At least with animation, they tend too stick to pretty standard pictures.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2014, 2:55 pm

danothan24 wrote:
As for nominations, I'd have to look back at the competition that year to really say. It was a decent movie, but probably a little too strange for the Academy's taste. At least with animation, they tend too stick to pretty standard pictures.

Ugh, yes. I really do hate that, they're too close minded