Interstellar and the internet (No spoilers)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Diabolikal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2014, 1:05 pm

I've gone online after seeing the film Interstellar, and I'm simply, hit in the face by how much hate and such, both in articles and comments. And a ton of it isn't like objective reviewing or something, it feels more like absolute hatred and disgust and such. Like one article about Kip Thorne, where a commenter said that humanity is a disease that will corrupt planets and shouldn't go into space (which by the way is something I probably would've said elsewhere, and once on an article on Vladimir Putin and such I suggested it's times like these I think we should just blow up humanity and end it). I'm wondering if it has something to do with a more cynical public, but some of the vitriol for Interstellar and "Hollywood" is, astounding. And by the way, I'm very sick of every film being called "Hollywood" and such, Hollywood is a neighborhood of Los Angeles, and films aren't inherently anything like "for the dumb masses" or blockbusters, they're just a medium like paints or photography. And also, to balance thsi out, I've noticed that Christopher Nolan seems oblivious to a lot of controversies around his films, like fascist allegations with The Dark Knight, violence and political conspiracy theories with The Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar getting every astrophysicist and layperson is arms about it being another example of "Hollywood science" or badly written. That's my two cents.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 5:16 pm

Diabolikal wrote:
I've gone online after seeing the film Interstellar, and I'm simply, hit in the face by how much hate and such, both in articles and comments. And a ton of it isn't like objective reviewing or something, it feels more like absolute hatred and disgust and such. Like one article about Kip Thorne, where a commenter said that humanity is a disease that will corrupt planets and shouldn't go into space (which by the way is something I probably would've said elsewhere, and once on an article on Vladimir Putin and such I suggested it's times like these I think we should just blow up humanity and end it). I'm wondering if it has something to do with a more cynical public, but some of the vitriol for Interstellar and "Hollywood" is, astounding. And by the way, I'm very sick of every film being called "Hollywood" and such, Hollywood is a neighborhood of Los Angeles, and films aren't inherently anything like "for the dumb masses" or blockbusters, they're just a medium like paints or photography. And also, to balance thsi out, I've noticed that Christopher Nolan seems oblivious to a lot of controversies around his films, like fascist allegations with The Dark Knight, violence and political conspiracy theories with The Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar getting every astrophysicist and layperson is arms about it being another example of "Hollywood science" or badly written. That's my two cents.

I'm not sure what your point is. Don't you like the fact that Intersteller is labelled a Hollywood film, or is it that you don't like films made by Chris Nolan being criticised?
Would you prefer living in a dictatorship where a leader like Josef Stalin determines popular opinion and has artists he doesn't like shot?
For what it's worth I have no intention of watching Chris Nolan's latest movie because in my eyes he is a superficial film maker with no understanding of science and no respect for his source material.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 6:46 pm

I enjoyed memento but dont like his other films, especially Inception which is just basically 3 action films in one.

I'll just wait for this one to come out on cable.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 8:44 pm

I haven't noticed a lot of hate, but then again I tend to avoid Internet comments. People just need something to be up in arms about sometimes, and complaining on an article about a film is much easier than changing any of their own environmentally-damaging lifestyle habits. They get to feel morally superior for caring, but they don't have to cut down on electricity, car use, and waste - let alone anything big. :wink:

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 9:35 pm

I loved the movie, but I fully understand why some people would be a little disappointed about how the movie was done. I was to an extent, but it didn't stop me from really liking the movie. I don't think that I can explain much further than that without adding spoilers, so I'll stop there (since you asked for no spoilers in the title).

Diabolikal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2014, 4:08 pm

progaspie wrote:
Diabolikal wrote:

I'm not sure what your point is. Don't you like the fact that Intersteller is labelled a Hollywood film, or is it that you don't like films made by Chris Nolan being criticised?
Would you prefer living in a dictatorship where a leader like Josef Stalin determines popular opinion and has artists he doesn't like shot?
For what it's worth I have no intention of watching Chris Nolan's latest movie because in my eyes he is a superficial film maker with no understanding of science and no respect for his source material.

That's not what I'ms saying at all, I don't want a dictatorship, the problem is more liek the peple on the internet being idiots, or irresponsible, or something. It's like a programming into modern brains to automatically hate anything film-wise.

Diabolikal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2014, 6:59 pm

Also, I hate the articles going on about "What 'What Interstellar Gets Wrong' get Wrong" too, they're as bad as the guys they criticize, saying things like "It's art, supposed to be ridiculous and silly!" that makes me want to tear out their throats with my bare hands, I just want them all to shut the hell up, and if their sites comment buttons would work I'd tell it to them instead of here.