10 Actresses Considered For Katniss In The Hunger Games

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 7:10 pm

For those who don't like Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss in The Hunger Games, here is a slideshow of 10 actresses who the studio considered for the role of Katniss Everdeen.

http://www.fandango.com/movie-photos/hu ... tniss-1046

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm

Sorry, but none in the list.

There is only one Katniss, and her original name was Noriko Nakagawa played by Japanese actress Aki Maeda in the classical film Battle Royale.

For those who didn't know, before the Hunger Games movies they where the books. But these books where a ripoff of the Japanese movies Battle Royale and Battle Royale II both made in the early 2000's. And Battle Royale was an adaptation from a 1998 Japanese book that provoked controversy in Japan when it came out...
Here is the trailer for this classic.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0p1t-dC7Ko[/youtube]

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2014, 10:49 pm

Oh, and the trailer for Battle Royale II

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVAhHOy5yIg[/youtube]

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2014, 4:12 am

SpirosD wrote:
Sorry, but none in the list.

There is only one Katniss, and her original name was Noriko Nakagawa played by Japanese actress Aki Maeda in the classical film Battle Royale.

For those who didn't know, before the Hunger Games movies they where the books. But these books where a ripoff of the Japanese movies Battle Royale and Battle Royale II both made in the early 2000's. And Battle Royale was an adaptation from a 1998 Japanese book that provoked controversy in Japan when it came out...
Here is the trailer for this classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator

A gladiator (Latin: gladiator, "swordsman", from gladius, "sword") was an armed combatant who entertained audiences in the Roman Republic and Roman Empire in violent confrontations with other gladiators, wild animals, and condemned criminals. Some gladiators were volunteers who risked their legal and social standing and their lives by appearing in the arena. Most were despised as slaves, schooled under harsh conditions, socially marginalized, and segregated even in death.

Irrespective of their origin, gladiators offered spectators an example of Rome's martial ethics and, in fighting or dying well, they could inspire admiration and popular acclaim. They were celebrated in high and low art, and their value as entertainers was commemorated in precious and commonplace objects throughout the Roman world.

The origin of gladiatorial combat is open to debate. There is evidence of it in funeral rites during the Punic Wars of the 3rd century BCE, and thereafter it rapidly became an essential feature of politics and social life in the Roman world. Its popularity led to its use in ever more lavish and costly games.

The games reached their peak between the 1st century BC and the 2nd century AD, and they finally declined during the early 5th century after the adoption of Christianity as state church of the Roman Empire in 380, although beast hunts (venationes) continued into the 6th century.

Pretty sure Battle Royale was written after the third century BC.

Hunger Games and Battle Royale:

-An oppressive government that forces people to kill each other until there is one winner

Hunger Games and the concept of Roman Gladiators:

-An oppressive government that forces people to kill each other until there is one winner
-For the purpose of public entertainment
-With the option of volunteering
-Where trained members of the upper class are put in to pick off people of a lower status

Hunger Games only:

-The elaborate details of what goes on during the games
-The fact that the games are actually a fairly small part of the trilogy, and that there is a whole bunch of stuff that happens before and after the games that make up the real story of the series

Now tell me about how Finding Nemo is a rip off of Spongebob.

AQ: 46

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2014, 6:54 am

Bla bla bla. I've heard every single nonsense argument out there from the Hunger Games fans who simply don't want to accept that masterpiece Battle Royale is not only superior to Hunger Games but the concept and idea was stolen. Of course those defending Hunger Games have never seen Battle Royale or the book, and most might never even want to see the original because "we don't read subtitles".

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2014, 10:56 am

I haven't read the book, but I've seen the movie. If you want to say it's better, fine. But not only is BR not an original concept, THG more similar to concepts that came before BR than it is to BR. It's actually kind of insulting to the big historical event that the concept of roman gladiators was, and all the myths and stories that centered around it, for someone to chalk it all up to this little book that came out in 1996. Can you tell me one similarity between BR and THG that wasn't in those stories?

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2014, 3:04 pm

Well, every story is inspired by something from the past, even Shakespeare used elements from the past to write his stories, that going back to ancient Greece, and even the ancient Greeks found inspiration from other elements from the past. So if you want to put that way and go back 2000 years ago then yes you are right, but it's still not a valid argument. If we put it that way we can maintain that every movie made ripped off "L'entrée en gare de la Ciotat" the first ever movie ever made, the first time something ever was filmed.
Has for The Hunger Games, I maintain that Suzanne Collins ripped off the back then unknown in the US (except for true and hard core movie fans) movie Battle Royale, thinking nobody would notice that they are pretty much similar, way to similar for her not knowing about Battle Royale (please, I don't buy it she came up with the concept of kids killing each other off even their best friend, and throw it all in an authoritarian society, please...). At least for the first book, her other books (and movies) take a radical different direction, even if it looks like that 3rd one is about the survivors going to war against that society (Battle Royale II)... Anyway, may they just assume and say they ripped off or remake Battle Royale, a little honesty never hurts. James Cameron did it with True Lies, that is a remake of "La Totale" except he had the decency to credit the original film, writer and filmmakers in his opening credits.

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2014, 9:19 pm

SpirosD wrote:
Well, every story is inspired by something from the past, even Shakespeare used elements from the past to write his stories, that going back to ancient Greece, and even the ancient Greeks found inspiration from other elements from the past. So if you want to put that way and go back 2000 years ago then yes you are right, but it's still not a valid argument. If we put it that way we can maintain that every movie made ripped off "L'entrée en gare de la Ciotat" the first ever movie ever made, the first time something ever was filmed.
Has for The Hunger Games, I maintain that Suzanne Collins ripped off the back then unknown in the US (except for true and hard core movie fans) movie Battle Royale, thinking nobody would notice that they are pretty much similar, way to similar for her not knowing about Battle Royale (please, I don't buy it she came up with the concept of kids killing each other off even their best friend, and throw it all in an authoritarian society, please...). At least for the first book, her other books (and movies) take a radical different direction, even if it looks like that 3rd one is about the survivors going to war against that society (Battle Royale II)... Anyway, may they just assume and say they ripped off or remake Battle Royale, a little honesty never hurts. James Cameron did it with True Lies, that is a remake of "La Totale" except he had the decency to credit the original film, writer and filmmakers in his opening credits.

You didn't address my arguments. I claimed that THG is based more on older stories than on BR, and you just said it wasn't valid without saying why. I have named several reasons that THG is similar to those older stories and not similar to BR, and you haven't named one to claim that it was based on BR. They are not all kids in THG. They range in age, and they only briefly address the issue of killing your friend, and it never actually happens. You are proving that you don't know enough about THG to make these claims. The authoritarian society, like I said, is not original in BR. Once again, you are taking a story that is also unoriginal, and saying that THG took from that, rather than the original stories. It's like you're making a movie about a romance with vampires, and then people say you ripped off Twilight, despite the many similar movies that came out before, and the fact that the events in your movie might be vastly different from the events in Twilight.

If your claims were even remotely true, there would be a lawsuit, but there's no way that would happen because any impartial person would see that they are not only two completely different stories, but that it would be totally illogical to claim someone ripped off something that isn't even original itself. You're just randomly picking out one of the "rip offs" and claiming it is the original. You would have to prove two things. First, you would have to prove that the story is similar. You can't. Only the premise is similar. Next, you would have to prove that BR is the first one to use that premise. They're not. Not even close.

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2014, 6:56 am

MadHatterMatador wrote:
SpirosD wrote:

You didn't address my arguments. I claimed that THG is based more on older stories than on BR, and you just said it wasn't valid without saying why. I have named several reasons that THG is similar to those older stories and not similar to BR, and you haven't named one to claim that it was based on BR. They are not all kids in THG. They range in age, and they only briefly address the issue of killing your friend, and it never actually happens. You are proving that you don't know enough about THG to make these claims. The authoritarian society, like I said, is not original in BR. Once again, you are taking a story that is also unoriginal, and saying that THG took from that, rather than the original stories. It's like you're making a movie about a romance with vampires, and then people say you ripped off Twilight, despite the many similar movies that came out before, and the fact that the events in your movie might be vastly different from the events in Twilight.

If your claims were even remotely true, there would be a lawsuit, but there's no way that would happen because any impartial person would see that they are not only two completely different stories, but that it would be totally illogical to claim someone ripped off something that isn't even original itself. You're just randomly picking out one of the "rip offs" and claiming it is the original. You would have to prove two things. First, you would have to prove that the story is similar. You can't. Only the premise is similar. Next, you would have to prove that BR is the first one to use that premise. They're not. Not even close.

All films are influenced by previous films or previous works of art or simply from history and many other sources, but there's a big difference between being influenced from the past and other works, and getting your idea solely from one film or book and then throw in other elements and claim it's your own original work, like The Hunger Games.
And the similarities between both works are striking: Punishment for rebellious youth, must fight to death for survival, children chosen by lottery, the plot surrounds one boy and one girl who know each other, arena is similar and both take place in a forest etc etc etc and they are 100 other examples like that. So how is this not a plagiarism? And sure, the Japanese have not filed a complaint, likely because they don't care, two, because Battle Royale is being discovered (at least in the USA, because elsewhere in the world it came out in the cinemas between 2000 and 2002) by people who watch The Hunger Games and want the "real' thing". Doesn't mean it's not plagiarism. And least the author of Battle Royale admits Lord of the Flies existence and was influenced from it and even pays homage to it in the book, along with other influences like Stephen King who wrote The Running Man after seeing the small unknown film "Prize of Peril", at least they say it. While Suzanne Collins apparently never saw a movie, read a book or even had access to the internet in her life, but popped her head out of the sand one day and wrote The Hunger Games? Yeah right, I don't buy that! Sadly a lot of those people believe Collins is telling the truth, just like some people believe the Bible is telling the truth and there is a place in the sky where we are met by beautiful women with wings playing harps but to go there you need to believe in a certain imaginary friend.
Anyway, Hunger Games is like another "Twilight" (thanks for mentioning it, I'll be back on this) taking a great concept and weakening it with a love triangle that bores anyone over 20.
So If you are such a fanboy to be oblivious to the striking similarities, then that's your problem, but I hope reasonable minds can see through this.
Please don't mention Twilight, it makes you lose total credibility about everything evolving films, storytelling and art in general.
Think about it, 15 years later we still remember Battle Royale, I doubt it will be the same for the Hunger Games, just like we remember 93 years later Nosferatu and many other vampire films, I doubt 20 years from now people will ever remember Twilight and it's BS concept of having vampire that shine in the sun and who have no fangs. Plus Stephen King hates Twilight and we can all rely on King to be a good critic, just like we can rely on Quentin Tarantino who hate Hunger Games and love Battle Royale to be a good film critic and a real film lover.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 11:39 am

i have seen BR and BR2.... i own a dvd copy of BR... BR is just awesome.
as for Katniss... nope...i like JLaw in the role. i believed in it (the decision) since the first time I saw the series. some stars were just made for the role. like Patrick Stewart IS Prof X.

the hero of BR (and BR2)...was Shuya... he was like Katniss...didn't really wanna be part of the games...refused to really kill anyone unless he REALLY had to. he "won" the game. and then he "led" the rebellion.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2014, 5:06 pm

SpirosD wrote:
MadHatterMatador wrote:
SpirosD wrote:

All films are influenced by previous films or previous works of art or simply from history and many other sources, but there's a big difference between being influenced from the past and other works, and getting your idea solely from one film or book and then throw in other elements and claim it's your own original work, like The Hunger Games.
And the similarities between both works are striking: Punishment for rebellious youth, must fight to death for survival, children chosen by lottery, the plot surrounds one boy and one girl who know each other, arena is similar and both take place in a forest etc etc etc and they are 100 other examples like that. So how is this not a plagiarism? And sure, the Japanese have not filed a complaint, likely because they don't care, two, because Battle Royale is being discovered (at least in the USA, because elsewhere in the world it came out in the cinemas between 2000 and 2002) by people who watch The Hunger Games and want the "real' thing". Doesn't mean it's not plagiarism. And least the author of Battle Royale admits Lord of the Flies existence and was influenced from it and even pays homage to it in the book, along with other influences like Stephen King who wrote The Running Man after seeing the small unknown film "Prize of Peril", at least they say it. While Suzanne Collins apparently never saw a movie, read a book or even had access to the internet in her life, but popped her head out of the sand one day and wrote The Hunger Games? Yeah right, I don't buy that! Sadly a lot of those people believe Collins is telling the truth, just like some people believe the Bible is telling the truth and there is a place in the sky where we are met by beautiful women with wings playing harps but to go there you need to believe in a certain imaginary friend.
Anyway, Hunger Games is like another "Twilight" (thanks for mentioning it, I'll be back on this) taking a great concept and weakening it with a love triangle that bores anyone over 20.
So If you are such a fanboy to be oblivious to the striking similarities, then that's your problem, but I hope reasonable minds can see through this.
Please don't mention Twilight, it makes you lose total credibility about everything evolving films, storytelling and art in general.
Think about it, 15 years later we still remember Battle Royale, I doubt it will be the same for the Hunger Games, just like we remember 93 years later Nosferatu and many other vampire films, I doubt 20 years from now people will ever remember Twilight and it's BS concept of having vampire that shine in the sun and who have no fangs. Plus Stephen King hates Twilight and we can all rely on King to be a good critic, just like we can rely on Quentin Tarantino who hate Hunger Games and love Battle Royale to be a good film critic and a real film lover.

I don't think you understood my reason for mentioning Twilight. Now, to address the points you made:

Punishment for rebellious youth- Just like Theseus and the Minotaur, and countless Gladiator type stories

must fight to death for survival- Just like Theseus and the Minotaur, and countless Gladiator type stories

children chosen by lottery- Again, not necessarily children in The Hunger Games. Some are, some are not. So once we know the premise for both, the writer has to come up with a method for how these people are going to be chosen. One author decides that an entire group (classroom) is chosen from an impartial lottery. Another author decides that two people per group (districts divided by economic class) are chosen from a lottery in which they choose to put their name into in exchange for food. And they don't use the word "lottery." The only similarity here is that there is an element of randomness to both. If you were writing a story based on this premise, random is pretty much the only way that makes sense.

the plot surrounds one boy and one girl who know each other- Really? People in the same community know each other? And a movie centers around a boy and a girl? You don't say! Well, at least you didn't try to argue that "the good guys survive," or "it was shown in theaters."

arena is similar and both take place in a forest- This and the fact that they have trackers are the only two similarities not found in the other stories. Two, in comparison to the many similarities between THG and Theseus and the Minotaur, doesn't make your case look very good. As for the forest, you have to pick somewhere where people can hide, and there can be chase scenes, etc. (Oh no, am I giving you more similarities?), so a forest, or island with a forest area, is a good choice.

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2014, 4:06 am

MadHatterMatador wrote:
SpirosD wrote:
MadHatterMatador wrote:
SpirosD wrote:

I don't think you understood my reason for mentioning Twilight. Now, to address the points you made:

Punishment for rebellious youth- Just like Theseus and the Minotaur, and countless Gladiator type stories

must fight to death for survival- Just like Theseus and the Minotaur, and countless Gladiator type stories

children chosen by lottery- Again, not necessarily children in The Hunger Games. Some are, some are not. So once we know the premise for both, the writer has to come up with a method for how these people are going to be chosen. One author decides that an entire group (classroom) is chosen from an impartial lottery. Another author decides that two people per group (districts divided by economic class) are chosen from a lottery in which they choose to put their name into in exchange for food. And they don't use the word "lottery." The only similarity here is that there is an element of randomness to both. If you were writing a story based on this premise, random is pretty much the only way that makes sense.

the plot surrounds one boy and one girl who know each other- Really? People in the same community know each other? And a movie centers around a boy and a girl? You don't say! Well, at least you didn't try to argue that "the good guys survive," or "it was shown in theaters."

arena is similar and both take place in a forest- This and the fact that they have trackers are the only two similarities not found in the other stories. Two, in comparison to the many similarities between THG and Theseus and the Minotaur, doesn't make your case look very good. As for the forest, you have to pick somewhere where people can hide, and there can be chase scenes, etc. (Oh no, am I giving you more similarities?), so a forest, or island with a forest area, is a good choice.

Looks like you have had this debate before somewhere else (what I didn't) and after searching other places on the internet, mostly on IMDB, you are using the exact same arguments everyone fan of The Hunger Games uses to pretend Hunger Games is not a ripoff, mostly mentioning ancient Rome and later ancient Greece with the Minotaur story and Arianna string, you even pasted out of the blue a Wikipedia article to defend your cause.
And I answered already, every story ever made, pulls from the past, so mention Rome or Greece is not valid.
Has for Gladiators, actually death during the fights didn't occur has often some would believed, that is just a myth to make it sound more exciting, especially in movies or in TV shows like that awful show Spartacus.
http://www.history.com/news/history-lis ... gladiators

Has I've said before, the first Hunger Games (movie and book) is way to similar to Battle Royale for not being a ripoff, and I recall in the first film that it's only kids fighting, just like Battle Royale.
Has for the rest, it's just minor details without any importance. Again and I said it before, Stephen King took "Prize of Peril" and turned it into "The Running man" and set it in a scifi setting and changed a few things. But he at least admittedly said he did he took from that story.

Anyway, let me get this right. For you Suzanne Collins came up with all of that out of her head, without even knowing about Battle Royal based simply on historical elements and Greek mythology? And then you are telling me that everyone at Lions Gates, who are film professionals have never heard about Battle Royale, then when they decided to turn the first book into a movie the screenwriters who are also film pros didn't see or heard about Battle Royale, and then when they hired Gary Ross (who is a smart man btw) to direct it even he didn't heard about Battle Royale? Wow, that's a lots of ignorant people, and not that good of professionals.
I work in films and have worked in the US, and everyone, has heard of Battle Royale, everyone has heard of that film that provoked controversy in Japan (a country who is rarely offended by anything), everyone in the industry has heard of that film. So those behind The Hunger Games could just be a little more honest and say "we drew inspiration from Battle Royale and then threw in our own elements", just like King did.
Anyway, I rest my case, this is going nowhere.

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

29 Nov 2014, 2:12 pm

You just used your same logic again. You think because you've read similar arguments elsewhere, it must be me arguing. Or, better yet, I stole those arguments. You can't possibly think that two people came up with the same argument. Thank you for demonstrating your faulty logic yet again. You keep saying that every story pulls from the past, but I fail to see how that translates to THG being a ripoff of Battle Royale. If anything, it proves my point even further, that THG did pull from the gladiator stories, and so did BR. I'm only talking about the author, who probably never heard of it. The controversy was already a thing before the movies came out, so I'm sure they heard of it by that. But, they probably just scoffed and brushed it off because they knew they were completely different stories, and it's only the fans of Battle Royale who don't know anything about history or other related stories who think it's a rip-off. You just said that she thought she could get away with it, because no one heard of it, and now you're saying everyone heard of it.

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2014, 8:47 pm

I'm maybe not making myself clear or finding the right words. Dam with it!! !
I'm saying Suzanne Colins took Battle Royale basic concept and then threw in her own elements and especially Greek mythology and inspiration from ancient Rome. Just the same way Stephen King did with Running Man when he took the concept of Prize of Peril. I'm repeating myself here. Except one openly said he took from Price of Peril, the other one is denying everything, all the way up to the heads of the studios.
Has for Battle Royale, please read what I said, when I mention everyone I mean by that film professionals, I work in films and we are always following everything going around in the world about films, from the big Hollywood Blockbuster to the obscure family drama made in Buthan. So it's impossible nobody involved in Hunger Games, from the big shots at Lions Gates to the director or writers of the script have never heard about Battle Royale or where aware they where making something very similar.
Question, may I ask your age? Because I noticed those denying what I've been trying to expose (or elsewhere on the internet or even outside in the real world) where only 7 when Battle Royale came out (except in the US where) and today they are the same age I was when I first saw Battle Royale in the cinema.
And to give credit to The Hunger Games, I'm only referring to the first film has a ripoff, the others take a different direction.