A sour taste for Guardians of the Galaxy

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RustDogofAus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Nov 2014, 3:53 am

Enjoyed the movie, very funny. Undoubtedly one of, if not the best Marvel movie.
With one exception: Chris Pratt. He's great with kids, but is a sadistic nutjob when it comes to coyotes in Wyoming. He openly admits that he kills them for fun and is fuelled by a deep hatred for them, calling them varmints and a***holes, finding it thrilling to shoot and skin them. Coyotes will eat your dog? Then take better care of your dog! Calling this man the sexiest alive? Peh... I mean if you are into gun crazy shameless malicious animal murderers...
Stupid and spiteful man. Definitely not paying this guy's check.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 10:17 pm

I hadn't known he had a psycho side. 8O

American
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2014, 11:16 pm

That's unfortunate. I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was the best film I have ever seen. It was that good. You have to separate the performer from their personal lives. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was one of my favorite movies but Tom Cruise is not perfect. If I cared about the political views of singers, I would be listening to Five For Fighting a lot more and would have to purge most of the rest of my playlist!

RustDogofAus

26 Nov 2014, 3:40 am

Unfortunately, you will get nimrods who will think this person is a role model and do exactly like he does, or otherwise use him as a posterchild for the activity. Plus because he is so popular he apparently gets a free pass for this kind of barbarity. The problem is he is causing needless suffering because of his stupidity and that should never be supported. If an actor/actress/other entertainer was to act in a racist manner, molest a child or murder someone that person's name would be in the toilet, moreso if they were thumping their chest and laughing about it. This man is taking lives for his petty amusement, but because he is shooting animals he gets away with being a sadist. That is why it is sickening.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 5:06 am

Eh, people out here shoot coyotes all the time. Not saying it's glamorous, but someone's got to keep them from attacking the livestock. As long as they're killing them cleanly and not torturing them sadistically, I don't see how it's different than killing any other pests.

Disclaimer: I live in northern Alberta. A lot of people raise cattle out here. Having to keep coyotes and other predators away from them is just a fact of life.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 5:34 am

I'm absolutely anti-hunting, but this isn't really all that shocking. According to Google, coyote hunting is extremely prevalent in Wyoming; they've become such a massive threat to livestock that the Wyoming Predator Management Board even offered a cash bounty on coyote carcasses for coyote hunters. I definitely don't agree with this tactic, but coyotes are a very commonly hunted animal, and being the threat that they are to farmers, I don't take too much offense at him calling them "varmints". Like I said, I'm against hunting, I love animals, but comparing it to child molestation is...eh...a little steep.

Honestly, I had never even heard about this fact until just now, and I happen to see Chris Pratt/Andy Dwyer posts appear almost daily on my Tumblr, a website that's notorious for pointing out problematic issues with celebrities. I don't think he's getting a "free pass", I just don't think it's widely known. He's hardly the only celebrity who's a known hunter.

RustDogofAus

26 Nov 2014, 6:10 am

Considering that coyotes are not that much a threat when compared to other problems like birthing issues, intestinal problems and poisons. Also killing coyotes doesn't solve the problem as more will just come in to fill the gap and reproduction increases to fill the niche left over. It costs more for lethal measures than to enact non-lethal measures which will haze predators, keeping them close actually provides a benefit because if they understand that livestock is off limits then they will occupy a territory and keep others out.
Coyotes are important in keeping smaller animals in check, you mess with nature it messes with you.

Here is the article:
http://dailycaller.com/2014/11/17/chris ... ti-coyote/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 9:31 am

Mr. Bigmouth: do you live near Fort McMurray?

I have distant in-laws who live in Fort McMurray.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 7:06 pm

The solution is simple. We switch to eating coyotes.
No animal will attack the livestock then.
if coyotes run out, just switch back to cows.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 8:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Mr. Bigmouth: do you live near Fort McMurray?

I have distant in-laws who live in Fort McMurray.

Sort of. I do live in the north-east corner of Alberta. A lot of people around here go up to Fort McMurray to work.

RustDogofAus

27 Nov 2014, 5:58 pm

slenkar wrote:
The solution is simple. We switch to eating coyotes.
No animal will attack the livestock then.
if coyotes run out, just switch back to cows.

Obvious troll is obvious. So glad you can make fun of killing and think so little of other lives.

It really speaks volumes of my assumptions of the morality of the human race when few people clearly give a damn about blatantly psychopathic behaviour. Going out and killing something just because you hate it, yeah because that's clearly not psychotic in any way. And don't get me started on Wyoming's "Predator Management", they had a shoot on sight policy for a species with less than 300 individuals in the state and continue to push for it even when it got them in deep trouble three times. Noses right up the Cattleman's Association's backside - a group that considers carnivores "four legged killing machines". Oh wait they have a shoot on sight policy for coyotes too, nice bunch - especially when most of the animals have never even seen a human and do their best to stay out of the way. They have no interest in science or social relationships of animals or the damage they do to the environment, just kill kill kill because humans are too selfish, lazy and stupid.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 6:18 pm

RustDogofAus wrote:
Obvious troll is obvious.

Him or you? If this whole thread was started as a troll, I'm going to be upset.

RustDogofAus

27 Nov 2014, 6:31 pm

Slenkar is.

I don't make light of this sort of thing.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 5:10 pm

I was basically making a statement that we eat cows, so we treat animals badly overall.

What if the choice was between a cow meeting a painful death at the claws of a coyote or the coyote being shot?
Sometimes morality is not so cut and dry.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 5:16 pm

If you're a carnivore, then why stop at eating only socially-acceptable food animals? People all over the world eat domesticated dogs and cats (even the Swiss!), and wild dogs and cats are just so much "Bush Meat", and given the choice of me eating them or them eating me, I'd much rather choose the former.

Sure, shoot the coyotes, but at least put their carcasses to use -- fur, leather, and meat can be harvested and even sold for profit!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 8:10 pm

If coyotes would just stick to hunting road-runners, everything would be fine. ;)