Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Dec 2014, 2:30 am

World War Z was a book I really liked and the movie was such a butchering that I couldn't watch it all the way thru u

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 2:39 am

Skibz888 wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
All of them. Books are better than movies. Movies have no means to convey internal dialogue, and time restraints force directors to compress and simplify plotlines.

Disagree. Sometimes conciseness can be an improvement. Stephen King's work comes to mind a lot: he comes up with great ideas but he executes them poorly. Most film adaptations of his I've seen are better than his books because they excise a lot of unnecessary filler and sub-plots, and in some cases, a lot of stupidity. 'The Shining' is infinitely better without the sentient topiary monsters, while 'The Langoliers' is infinitely worse for including the flying meatball monsters.

I agree that movies can be better than the books. I’ve just finished King’s “Cycle of the werewolf” and I liked the movie “Silver bullet” way better, and so much that I wanted it on DVD after watching it online.
Cujo the movie was better than the book, but neither was good IMO.
I like The Shining movie and the miniseries that follows the book closely equally good. I think they’re both really great.
The Green Mile, Langoliers and Dream catcher were equally good as movies and books, Langoliers being really great, and one of my favorite stories. Maybe because it’s slightly reminiscent of my favorite Twilight Zone episode (Odyssey of flight 33). The Fire starter was also equal as book and movie.
Pet Sematary was great both as book and movie, but I prefer the book. Maybe King's very best.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

LupineSnowstorm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 2:24 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
AntDog wrote:
Eragon was wrongly changed to suit a younger audience. The book itself is actually for a much more mature audience than what the movies intended audience was. Without these parts (which were left out) the movie was missing a lot of what the book had. I think it can be remade but it needs to be suited for a more relevant audience. Once you have a proper movie you can then continue with Eldest and so on because the books get even darker.

A Wrinkle in Time, I remember that, it was very trippy both book and movie. Disney using the Frozen directer wants to remake it again.

Oh, yeah, Eragon, too. There's a reason the other four books were never done.

It's a real shame that Eragon turned out to be such a flop (even the author admitted he didn't like it.) I really loved the books and thought that there was a lot of lost potential to make something brilliant of them. I hope someone does a remake of it.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 1:43 pm

I agree with Skilpadde, and others, who said a movie can be better than the book. IMO, both "The Devil Wears Prada", and "Bridget Jones' Diary" were incredibly sucky books, but GREAT flicks!!

I guess, probably, the worst book-to-movie adaptations were, for ME, Harry Potter. For instance, that first screenwriter (he did every movie but no. 5, I think), Steven Knowles (I think his name was) was in LOVE with the character Hermione (actually, it was possibly Emma Watson that he adored), and gave her too many lines----lines that belonged to other characters, that were IN the movie, and there was no reason why they couldn't have delivered their OWN lines!!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 3:11 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I agree with Skilpadde, and others, who said a movie can be better than the book. IMO, both "The Devil Wears Prada", and "Bridget Jones' Diary" were incredibly sucky books, but GREAT flicks!!

I guess, probably, the worst book-to-movie adaptations were, for ME, Harry Potter. For instance, that first screenwriter (he did every movie but no. 5, I think), Steven Knowles (I think his name was) was in LOVE with the character Hermione (actually, it was possibly Emma Watson that he adored), and gave her too many lines----lines that belonged to other characters, that were IN the movie, and there was no reason why they couldn't have delivered their OWN lines!!

L.A. Confidential was a decent enough book, but made an even better movie.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2014, 4:10 pm

The Cat in the Hat (2003)
The City of Ember (2008)
The Great Gatsby (2013)
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 6:41 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I Am Legend.

Actually, it was a pretty decent movie - - until that Godawful ending.

It has been rumored for some time that WB might use a prequel script for a reboot of I Am Legend, which IMO, is just a waste given that the 2007 version is not even 10 years old.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 7:10 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I Am Legend.

Actually, it was a pretty decent movie - - until that Godawful ending.

It has been rumored for some time that WB might use a prequel script for a reboot of I Am Legend, which IMO, is just a waste given that the 2007 version is not even 10 years old.

If WB does - and it's actually good - then there is a God.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 9:05 pm

Just watch The Last Man on Earth if you want a good I Am Legend adaptation. They got it right the first time. It's in the public domain and available on YouTube, Archive.org, and just about everywhere else.

I'll add to this list The Talented Mr. Ripley, which isn't just a bad film (overlong, pretentious, poorly-acted, and self-indulgent) but a travesty of an adaptation written by someone who didn't understand the book at all. The first film version, Purple Noon, screwed up the ending, but the later film screws up just about everything.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 9:14 pm

Jory wrote:
Just watch The Last Man on Earth if you want a good I Am Legend adaptation. They got it right the first time. It's in the public domain and available on YouTube, Archive.org, and just about everywhere else.

I never read the book, but 'The Last Man on Earth' is fantastic. It's a shame that Vincent Price has a reputation as a cheesy horror movie actor, because he was extremely talented and dramatic.

I also think 'The Omega Man' is a lot of fun, but again, I don't know how it relates to the book.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 9:23 pm

The Omega Man has so little to do with the book that it hardly qualifies as an adaptation. Of all the films, The Last Man on Earth is by far the most faithful. If you've seen it, you pretty much know the book, though it's sort of a cut-down b-movie (but still very well-done) version of the book.

The Will Smith movie has its moments, but I can certainly live without ever seeing it again, even with the original ending. Plot and tone-wise, it's even less faithful than The Omega Man. The fact that it's the only film version to use the book's title is a joke.

It's also worth mentioning Night of the Living Dead, which George Romero openly acknowledged as sort of an unofficial adaptation of I Am Legend. Funny thing is, despite all the differences, it's closer to the book than the later two official adaptations.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:10 pm

I guess I'm just a hardcore book lover.
I do enjoy Stephen King movies, especially The Stand and The Shining, but I still prefer the book versions.

HBO's Game of Thrones is so popular, yet so AWFUL compared to the books. Anyone who's a fan of that show and hasn't read the books is seriously missing out.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2014, 11:36 pm

The Bell Jar was awful.

Battlefield Earth hasn't been mentioned yet? Does the entire book have to be done?

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2014, 11:37 pm

The Bell Jar was awful.

Battlefield Earth hasn't been mentioned yet? Does the entire book have to be done?

Lunarflowermaiden
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2014, 6:36 am

Blood and Chocolate.
Ella Enchanted.
World War Z.

All terrible movies.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 7:01 pm

iBlockhead wrote:

Battlefield Earth was awful to the point where the word "awful" wouldn't be an accurate adjective.