Do you Hollywood are making too many reboots of old movies?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Princess Adora
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2014, 4:38 am

I heard that in the next few years they are gonna be alot of reboots of 80 s movies including the rumour of a gremlin reboot so my question is do you think the movie producers are running out of ideas,do you think they are losing originality?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 4:45 am

Hollywood has been pumping out excessive numbers of reboots and superhero movies for at least the last 10 years. Originality is dead in the American film industry. Blame the book "Save the Cat! The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need" for this.

Princess Adora
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2014, 5:27 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Hollywood has been pumping out excessive numbers of reboots and superhero movies for at least the last 10 years. Originality is dead in the American film industry. Blame the book "Save the Cat! The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need" for this.

I agree its been going on for a long time,some movies do not need a reboot and also there have been a lot of superhero movies,though I don't mind superhero movies I still feel like they are churning out the same stuff these days.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 9:32 pm

While I do agree that Hollywood has been rebooting too many movies, not all movie reboots have been awful.

Princess Adora
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2014, 9:59 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
While I do agree that Hollywood has been rebooting too many movies, not all movie reboots have been awful.

Yeah true there are some that I thought were pretty good I just hate it when there is nothing wrong with the original and feel like they need to change it because I feel like with some movies as the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it but on the other hand I can see if the original wasn't that great a reboot may turn out better.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 10:29 pm

YES. It's pathetic and irritating.

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 10:47 pm

Hollywood is in the business of making money not art. They will always go with the concept that has been previously successful & earned money at the box office.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 11:07 pm

Not only have they lost originality, but they've ruined just about every literary genre there is.

Science Fiction? It used to be a more cerebral form of speculative fiction. Now, it seems nothing more that a platform for showing off the latest CGI effects with a mind-numbing onslaught of never-ending explosions, zap gun fights, light-saber duels, starship explosions (that go "BOOM!" In the vacuum of space), and slobbering aliens hell-bent on either enslaving us, impregnating us, or using us for food.

Romantic Comedies? They used to be about people falling in love with their clothes on. Now, if there is not at least one glimpse of a semi-nude woman, a scene that features two (or more) people in bed together, and at least one adulterous encounter, then it is not likely to even go into production.

American Western? Where are the movies about rugged individuals hewing a living out of the wilderness frontier, and facing all odds with little more than the clothes on his back, a six-gun, a pair of boots, and a white hat? Today's cowboy movies are either so politically correct that every Native American has been to Oxford, or they depict events that could have happened within the last decade - just replace the jeeps and ATVs with horses, take away the cell phones, and make no reference to events after 1860, and you have a modern American Western.

Mystery / Suspense? Pfeh! Sparkly vampires, chain saws, pretty girls taking baths in abandoned houses, body parts flying everywhere ... There can be no mystery when you already know 5 minutes past the opening credits who lives, who dies, and how many sequels will be produced.

I tell you that it's more than enough to drive me back to reading books!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 6:04 am

Hollywood's been pumping out remakes for decades. Heck, back before TV, it wasn't uncommon for studios to remake old films that were barely 5-10 years old.

It seems more prevalent now, but remember, it's not really the major studios who can take all the blame: the reason why they make so many remakes and reboots is because millions of people pay to see remakes and reboots. Studios can take a chance on an original film, but if it flops, then they'll just turn all their money towards making a billion dollars off 'Transformers 18' instead. It's supply and demand.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 2:09 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

An example that I thought was really good was The Amazing Spider-Man. The main reason why Sony decided to reboot the Spider-Man franchise was because Sam Raimi didn't like the script for a potential Spider-Man 4, so therefore Raimi left.

Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 6:04 am

With the existence of netflix and microwavable popcorn I question why anyone goes out to the movies. I have an endless library of 20,000 movies I can watch by clicking a few buttons. Why go out to see some over-rated trash, and overpay for it?

Princess Adora
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2014, 6:16 am

886 wrote:
With the existence of netflix and microwavable popcorn I question why anyone goes out to the movies. I have an endless library of 20,000 movies I can watch by clicking a few buttons. Why go out to see some over-rated trash, and overpay for it?

Yeah true while I still go out to see a movie at pictures once in a while I do agree it's way overpriced especially here in Australia it's almost 20 bucks a movie ticket plus the overpriced popcorn and drinks it's not worth it at times.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 6:22 am

To Hollywood's defense they need movies to make money.

The highest grossing films are:

1) Avatar - Yes it is original and in 3D... I feel bad for anyone who bothered with it
2) Titanic - James Cameron did it twice and for some reason this movie was well liked
3)The Avengers - yeah...?
4)Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Pt2, HP fans are loyal...
5)Frozen - Hans Christian Anderson hopefully is proud and not rolling in his grave (it's not done yet)
6) Iron Man 3 - well Steel is near record highs in price
7)Transformers Dark of the Moon (3rd movie) Bay's movies always gross high, it was better than 2.
8)Lord of the Rings: Return of the Kings - I still won't watch any of them.
9)007 Skyfall - I liked this movie, though was it Craig or Adele who made this highest grossing 007 film?
10)Transformers: Age of Extinction (#4 in the series).

6 movies based on books/short stories, 4 direct installments based on nothing.

The remaining 40 on the list are mainly installments and sequels.
The list of the top 50 are here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films.

People prefer established brands and names in all parts of life.
Be it elections, video games, movies, books, music etc...
People are fearful of change and like the same.

Sadly most new products not attached to established series or name, tend to bomb hard in every industry.

The customer in the end is to blame.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 3:55 pm

I'm getting sick of Hollywood remaking or rebooting all kinds of movies and TV shows, both American and foreign. If I was a legendary filmmaker and someone remade one of my films, I'd sue that person.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 8:42 am

tcorrielus wrote:
I'm getting sick of Hollywood remaking or rebooting all kinds of movies and TV shows, both American and foreign. If I was a legendary filmmaker and someone remade one of my films, I'd sue that person.

It always depends on the film. I'm sure Hitchcock wouldn't have been too proud of Gus van Sant's 'Psycho', but how did Kurosawa feel about 'The Magnificent Seven'? Somehow I think any filmmaker would be flattered that their work is being remade for the purpose of introducing to a new audience. A lot of filmmakers even remake their own movies for American audiences: Michael Haneke did it for 'Funny Games' (shot-for-shot), the Pang Brothers did it for 'Bangkok Dangerous' (though they shouldn't have), Takashi Shimizu did it for 'The Grudge' and Google shows me a good number more.

Not to mention, the remakers do have to secure the rights for a film to make a remake, so suing them probably wouldn't hold up in court. :P

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 4:22 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
how did Kurosawa feel about 'The Magnificent Seven'?

No idea, but I know that he thought highly of A Fistful of Dollars. He was just miffed that they remade Yojimbo without his permission and without getting the rights.