Page 1248 of 1274 [ 20384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1245, 1246, 1247, 1248, 1249, 1250, 1251 ... 1274  Next

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 1:37 pm

Last night I watched:

Revenge of the Creature [1955]
<=>"Weird Monster Escapes! Terror Seizes City!
<=>!Weird Monster...a woman's beauty the lure for his dangerous desires!"

This is the second Gill-Man movie. In the first an expedition goes deep into the Amazon jungle, to the Black Lagoon, and discovers the Gill-Man...who just wants to be left alone.

In this movie another expedition goes back to the Black Lagoon, uses explosives to cause a shock wave that incapacitates the Gill-Man, allowing them to capture it. And they take it back to a Sea-World kind of place, put him on display, and chain it to the floor of its tank to keep it there. And then they experiment to find out what level of intelligence they are dealing with...using an electric prod for negative reinforcement.

Gill-Man escapes and flees the area. With humans in pursuit.

When I stop to think about it, I feel sorry for the Gill-Man.

Oh, the Gill-Man somehow seems to have developed a fixation on the blonde female researcher. As did a couple of the lab's scientists.

One extra tidbit: Clint Eastwood's IMDb entry lists this movie as his first movie appearance. It was a very small part, in one scene, but he did get to say a few words. (He didn't trust the lab's cat!)

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 2:18 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Last night I watched:

Revenge of the Creature [1955]
<=>"Weird Monster Escapes! Terror Seizes City!
<=>!Weird Monster...a woman's beauty the lure for his dangerous desires!"

This is the second Gill-Man movie. In the first an expedition goes deep into the Amazon jungle, to the Black Lagoon, and discovers the Gill-Man...who just wants to be left alone.

In this movie another expedition goes back to the Black Lagoon, uses explosives to cause a shock wave that incapacitates the Gill-Man, allowing them to capture it. And they take it back to a Sea-World kind of place, put him on display, and chain it to the floor of its tank to keep it there. And then they experiment to find out what level of intelligence they are dealing with...using an electric prod for negative reinforcement.

Gill-Man escapes and flees the area. With humans in pursuit.

When I stop to think about it, I feel sorry for the Gill-Man. 1

Oh, the Gill-Man somehow seems to have developed a fixation on the blonde female researcher. As did a couple of the lab's scientists. 2

One extra tidbit: Clint Eastwood's IMDb entry lists this movie as his first movie appearance. It was a very small part, in one scene, but he did get to say a few words. (He didn't trust the lab's cat!) 3

1 - I agree. He's not being a predator. He is not coming to sea world wanna-be and terrorizing everyone. He is brought from his natural habitat.

2 - He's got a thing for human females. First there was Julie Adams. Then Lori Nelson. Finally, Leigh Snowden.

3 - Nice. Does not trust cats. That seems very Eastwood, although I am 100% certain he did not say it in that Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry way. In my imagination, however, he does.

I watched The Creature Walks Among Us a week or so ago. I cannot remember what it was on, except I was in my living room and viewed through my television. Maybe Svengoolie? I didn't post it.

You know, it is obvious it is a man in a suit, but it is really a beautiful design. I've never seen the Gill-man as a man in a suit, but a man-like creature. I've seen BAD imitations. Milicent Patrick designed it and Bud Westmore did not give her the credit she deserved. Thanks Bud Westmore, because of you, I was raised on lies. (By the way, I could not remember her name. I had to look it up.)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 11:37 am

I agree, Gill-Man looks good! And I expect to view The Creature Walks Among Us sort of soon. However, last night (by her choice!) we watched:

Machete [2010]
<=>"He was given an offer he couldn't refuse..."

Machete Kills [2013]
<=>"Trained to kill. Left for dead. Back for more."

Fun, violent, ridiculous action.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 10:33 pm

Fitzcarraldo: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083946/

One of the most amazing movies you'll ever see.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 5:14 pm

Last night I watched:

Eyes Behind the Stars [1978]
<=>"Inter galactic Sci-Fi terror"

<=>/\/\NOT RECOMMENDED/\/\
<=+=>except possibly for intellectual curiosity

This is a low budget, shallow science fiction film...that does a commendable job of hiding its low budget.

There is an alien flying saucer. You see it. But it is probably a toy-sized prop carefully filmed.
You never see anyone, alien or human outside the flying saucer to give it scale.

You do see the aliens. But only a small number. Always in the same control room in the flying saucer.
The control room is simple and the controls are simple; the set was probably very inexpensive.
If you look closely at the alien-looking aliens you might conclude the actors are wearing knit jumpsuits and knit balaclavas, with a large, rounded visor in front of the portion of their faces not hidden by the balaclavas.

Outside the flying saucer the aliens spy on humans and attack them, but they are invisible when doing this!
The camera shots show you what the aliens would be seeing and a clever sound track creates tension.
And the human actors act scared.

But since the aliens are invisible you are really just watching the human actors acting.

It appears to be a very low budget film that goes to great lengths to hide that budget.

The filming is competent drama.

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2024, 6:56 pm

Pretty in Pink
Legend with Tim Curry

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 9:08 pm

The Whole Wide World.

Director's cut biopic of Robert E. Howard, the father of American Heroic Fantasy, best known for creating Conan the Barbarian. Follows his life from when he fell in love with local school teacher, Novalynne Price, his depression stemming from caring for his ailing mother, and his eventual suicide. Very moving, very sad movie. Highly recommended for Conan fans.

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 12:38 am

The Beekeeper, a standard Jason Statham movie, with the usual amount of action and mayhem. I enjoyed it, even if it was a little light on storylines.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 11:45 am

Last night I watched:

The Creature Walks Among Us [1956]
<=>"The second sequel to The Creature from the Black Lagoon!" Second and final sequel!

<=+=+=>Ignore the bit in the trailer about The Price of Fear...the two films were released as a double feature.

They go out again to recapture the Gill-Man who was in the Florida swamps after escaping in the previous film. The Gill-Man, however, did not want to be recaptured...but after dousing him in gasoline andsetting him on fire they were able to catch him anyways.

Fortunately for the Gill-Man his unusual body biology allowed him to survive this, but he lost the use of his gills and his outer layer of scales. Unfortunately for the Gill-Man the scientist leading the expedition was delighted by this because he hoped to someday make fundamental changes like that to humans so they could better adapt to life in space.

Also unfortunate for the Gill-Man is that scientist was not psychologically stable and killed a crew-member who had gotten fresh with his wife...and framed the Gill-Man for the murder.

Yes, the Gill-Man escapes again and is now loose somewhere on the Pacific coast of California.

The two male leads seemed familiar to me so I looked them up afterwards: Jeff Morrow and Rex Reason. The year before they were stars in This Island Earth which I think is one of the top-ten 1950s Sci-Fi movies.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 3:41 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Last night I watched:

The Creature Walks Among Us [1956]
<=>"The second sequel to The Creature from the Black Lagoon!" Second and final sequel!

<=+=+=>Ignore the bit in the trailer about The Price of Fear...the two films were released as a double feature.

They go out again to recapture the Gill-Man who was in the Florida swamps after escaping in the previous film. The Gill-Man, however, did not want to be recaptured...but after dousing him in gasoline andsetting him on fire they were able to catch him anyways.

Fortunately for the Gill-Man his unusual body biology allowed him to survive this, but he lost the use of his gills and his outer layer of scales. Unfortunately for the Gill-Man the scientist leading the expedition was delighted by this because he hoped to someday make fundamental changes like that to humans so they could better adapt to life in space.

Also unfortunate for the Gill-Man is that scientist was not psychologically stable and killed a crew-member who had gotten fresh with his wife...and framed the Gill-Man for the murder.

Yes, the Gill-Man escapes again and is now loose somewhere on the Pacific coast of California.

The two male leads seemed familiar to me so I looked them up afterwards: Jeff Morrow and Rex Reason. The year before they were stars in This Island Earth which I think is one of the top-ten 1950s Sci-Fi movies.

Well, if the Gill Man comes up here to Washington, I'll buy him a beer.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 2:31 am

I watched The Circle - a 2017 fear of big tech movie with Emma Watson and Tom Hanks. It wasn't very good. Some interesting ideas here and there but generally not good.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 2:37 am

Bladerunner 2049

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 2:41 am

cyberdad wrote:
Bladerunner 2049

What's your verdict?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 2:44 am

Hollywood Dreams And Nightmares: The Robert Englund Story.

Documentary on the life of actor Robert Englund, his early life, career in acting, and his eventual status as a horror movie icon when he landed the role of Freddy Krueger.
Very enjoyable, and highly recommended.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 2:45 am

Night Swim - First movie to star a haunted swimming pool. Was ok … Enjoyed getting out to a cinema, first time in a good while.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 2:47 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Bladerunner 2049

What's your verdict?

I prefer Ridley Scott's original with Rutger Hauer from 1982....but...they both effect me emotionally