Page 1057 of 1262 [ 20185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1054, 1055, 1056, 1057, 1058, 1059, 1060 ... 1262  Next

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 4:21 pm

Just saw Goodfellas again... in the cinema, even...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 4:34 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Nobody.

First rate action adventure, shoot-'em-up movie! An unlikely hero with an unlikely past goes up against evil Russian mobsters who threaten his family. Highly recommended. Bill Odenkirk is a first rate actor.

Sounds good.

It is.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 4:38 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
First Cow. A Western about 2 blokes who were secretly milking a very powerful and dangerous rich man's cow behind his back, to make tasty biscuits that they sold for a decent profit. Very authentic-looking historical detail, no gratuitous sex or violence, and I liked the two guys because they were moderately kind, human, intelligent outliers.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that they kind of left it hanging at the end, either that or I was too stupid to figure out what finally happened to the protagonists.

I didn't analyse it as I watched it. As usual I was mainly focussed on following the plot, though with so few characters that wasn't hard for once. Mostly I just enjoyed it.

Sounds like a different movie! See that's what I kinda meant when I posted this.. usually I have to analyse certain things to actually follow the plot .. unless it's very simple IE horror movies, some thrillers and certain type of comedy ones. I swear I'm the stupidest person and the only person I know who can't seem to follow along and then I become disinterested. My folks used to watch movies and I'd never go out and watch it cause I knew I couldn't really follow it usually and I'd probably ask stupid questions. :(

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 4:44 pm

The Terminal. Absolutely adored it.

Wreck It Ralph

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 5:29 pm

skibum wrote:

I saw that a few years ago. Liked the way they portrayed the jobsworths at the airport cynically passing the buck and just leaving the poor guy in limbo. I can't remember if it was a true story or not, but it's just the kind of thing they'd do.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 5:55 pm

Danusaurus wrote:
Sounds like a different movie! See that's what I kinda meant when I posted this.. usually I have to analyse certain things to actually follow the plot .. unless it's very simple IE horror movies, some thrillers and certain type of comedy ones. I swear I'm the stupidest person and the only person I know who can't seem to follow along and then I become disinterested. My folks used to watch movies and I'd never go out and watch it cause I knew I couldn't really follow it usually and I'd probably ask stupid questions. :(

Yes I tend to like things that are a bit different. Judging by the little blurb about it I found, I feared it might just be another cliche about entrepeneurs pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and going from rags to riches, but thank god it was nothing of the kind.

I rarely absorb the names of characters and can barely tell them apart unless they look very different, and their family relationships to each other are pretty blurred to me, so I often get confused and lose the plot very quickly if those elements turn out to be important, though if I take the trouble to rewind and study it carefully, I do well - just that I rarely take the trouble, and of course with live TV and cinema it would be impossible, which is probably one reason I don't watch live TV and rarely go to the cinema these days, though I also can't stand paying to watch movies (in the UK the BBC charges a license fee if you watch live TV even if you never watch BBC, so I just get the few good things they have from DailyMotion or other free sources - I hate most live TV content anyway).

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 6:04 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Danusaurus wrote:

Yes I tend to like things that are a bit different. Judging by the little blurb about it I found, I feared it might just be another cliche about entrepeneurs pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and going from rags to riches, but thank god it was nothing of the kind.

I rarely absorb the names of characters and can barely tell them apart unless they look very different, and their family relationships to each other are pretty blurred to me, so I often get confused and lose the plot very quickly if those elements turn out to be important, though if I take the trouble to rewind and study it carefully, I do well - just that I rarely take the trouble, and of course with live TV and cinema it would be impossible, which is probably one reason I don't watch live TV and rarely go to the cinema these days, though I also can't stand paying to watch movies (in the UK the BBC charges a license fee if you watch live TV even if you never watch BBC, so I just get the few good things they have from DailyMotion or other free sources - I hate most live TV content anyway).

I'm glad I'm not the only person who struggles with this :D yeah I just frequent YouTube and watch some live TV free tv it's called .. haven't in a few months though.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 6:16 pm

Fenn wrote:
Calamity Jane
1953 (American Technicolor western musical film loosely based on the life of Wild West heroine Calamity Jane, and explores an alleged romance between Calamity Jane and Wild Bill Hickok in the American Old West. The film starred Doris Day as the title character and Howard Keel as Hickok)

The record from that, "The Deadwood Stage" is one of the first records I remember hearing on the radio, I must have been about 2 or 3 years old. Might watch the film one day, though I don't enjoy many musicals, "Ligmalion" being a notable exception (yes I spelled it right), though AFAIK it's unavailable.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 7:20 pm

Just watched the new Black Widow movie. Loved it! Action packed from start to finish!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 7:22 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
skibum wrote:

I saw that a few years ago. Liked the way they portrayed the jobsworths at the airport cynically passing the buck and just leaving the poor guy in limbo. I can't remember if it was a true story or not, but it's just the kind of thing they'd do.

The film is partially inspired by the true story of the 18-year stay of Mehran Karimi Nasseri in Terminal 1 of Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport, France, from 1988 to 2006.

Wreck It Ralph

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 11:23 pm

skibum wrote:
The film is partially inspired by the true story of the 18-year stay of Mehran Karimi Nasseri in Terminal 1 of Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport, France, from 1988 to 2006.

18 years 8O The mind boggles at how he survived. I'm wondering what he did about dental work, healthcare, and a lot of other things we see as essential for survival.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 11:31 pm

Danusaurus wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only person who struggles with this :D yeah I just frequent YouTube and watch some live TV free tv it's called .. haven't in a few months though.

I can't stand ads so that's another reason why there's no live TV for me. I've seen some good stuff on YouTube but these days I always download it first, because I don't want to be halfway through something when they do a takedown order or the broadband goes wonky. And the playback of downloaded movies is more stable, and it's often easier to replay bits if my attention has lapsed, as it often does.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 7:37 am

GGPViper wrote:
Just saw Goodfellas again... in the cinema, even...

A true classic!

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 7:41 am

Juliette wrote:
Just watched the new Black Widow movie. Loved it! Action packed from start to finish!

I can't wait to see it.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 6:40 pm

^ Will be good to hear what you think of it. I’ve just watched a movie released last week, “The Tomorrow War”.

Reviews describe it is a “leave your brain at home” while you watch it type film, and they aren’t wrong! This is a bit of save the world alien silliness :P

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 10:30 am

Juliette wrote:
^ Will be good to hear what you think of it. I’ve just watched a movie released last week, “The Tomorrow War”.

Reviews describe it is a “leave your brain at home” while you watch it type film, and they aren’t wrong! This is a bit of save the world alien silliness :P

Sometimes I am really in the mood for a film like that.