Page 954 of 1263 [ 20196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 951, 952, 953, 954, 955, 956, 957 ... 1263  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 3:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Missing Link

What's your verdict?

My family and I have seen this before and this was a great movie in our eyes in unison.

We also agreed that stop-motion animation should be appreciated more.

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2020, 5:32 pm

Magic Mike

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 8:44 pm

Pacific Rim

Basically Voltrons vs Godzillas.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 6:54 pm

Rabbit-Proof Fence

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 11:38 pm

The Hunger.

Slow but interesting 1983 vampire flick with David Bowie.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2020, 3:10 pm

Cold Pursuit - Remake of the much better Scandinavian crime thriller In Order of Disappearance. Liam Neeson wasn't so bad, but the other actors? Amateurs at best.

Beauty & the Beast - Czechoslovakian version from 1978. Pretty good film if a bit darker than other versions.

Central Station - Brazilian film about an older letter writer from Rio who helps a newly orphaned boy try to find his father in a rural town. Essentially, it's a road trip movie through super-religious poor villages. That, in itself, was interesting.

The Cleansing Hour - Horror exorcism film with bad acting. Waste of time.

Come To Daddy - Elijah Wood drama/crime/horror film. They tried to blend a lot of genres but it didn't always work.

Contagion - Film about a deadly flu outbreak that originated in China and spread around the world. I'd known about this film for years but wasn't interested because I knew what I would see onscreen. I only acquired it because of the Coronavirus going around now. Interestingly, the movie almost a harbinger of things to come.

The Crimes That Bind - Korean crime thriller. There was a good, twisty story in there somewhere, but the overwhelming sappy background music and over-reliance on sobbing characters ruined an otherwise good film.

The Crimson Rivers - French crime thriller. Finally, we have a winner! Starring two of France's most famous actors (Jean Reno and Vincent Cassel), it's about two lawmen tasked with finding a brutal killer somehow linked to a prestigious secretive college in the gorgeous French Alps. Recommended.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 12:57 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
I watched the new Sonic The Hedgehog movie, I quite enjoyed it. I think that it would be worth comparing and contrasting with the Detective Pikachu movie as adaptions of popular game franchises, like both not super amazing, but are totally passable video game movies, and would love sequels that take more of a risk.

Good to know

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 12:59 pm

Rabbit-Proof Fence

That is a good one.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 2:40 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
Rabbit-Proof Fence

That is a good one.

And timely, especially in regards to the ongoing racial tensions in the US and Trump wanting his wall built which IMO, is the US counterpart to Australia's fence.

Kenneth Branagh gave a great performance (under the brilliant direction of Phillip Noyce) as a Trump-like character who wanted Australia to be nothing more than a white utopia.

Peter Gabriel's score is also wonderful and easily fits into the context of the film.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 2:46 pm

Diamondisis wrote:
Magic Mike

What is your opinion?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 4:58 pm

Color Out Of Space.

Based on the story by H.P. Lovecraft of the same name, a meteor glowing with an indescribable color lands one night on an isolated farm, where the plants, animals, and even the family undergo a monstrous transformation. Great movie about humans facing the existential threat of cosmic horror. Nicholas Cage wonderfully overacts in the starring role.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2020, 6:28 am

Terminator: Dark Fate

To Have and Have Not

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2020, 9:46 am

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
Rabbit-Proof Fence

That is a good one.

And timely, especially in regards to the ongoing racial tensions in the US and Trump wanting his wall built which IMO, is the US counterpart to Australia's fence.

Kenneth Branagh gave a great performance (under the brilliant direction of Phillip Noyce) as a Trump-like character who wanted Australia to be nothing more than a white utopia.

Peter Gabriel's score is also wonderful and easily fits into the context of the film.

Agreed.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2020, 12:26 pm

Birds of Prey (also mentioned earlier in the thread).

Honestly nowhere near as bad as I though it was going to be, although admittedly that was coming off the back of Suicide Squad. Actually pretty watchable. If you didn't know going in that Black Canary had a superpower, that part would be kind of weird, and there were plenty of cliches thrown around (and plenty more made fun of or subverted, so it wasn't either po-faced or trying to be too HEY HEY SUPER WACKY). Plus it kind of got semi-awkwardly bent around bits of DC canon that really didn't need to be included at all and had nothing to do with the story other than to provide background wallpaper. And the 'encoded in the diamond's atomic structure' bit had me rolling my eyes. Just say it was microscopically etched onto it; it's not like anyone needed to go on a quest to find an atomic structure decoder at any point.

But, y'know, overall... when it comes to action movies, I've seen a lot worse. Robbie really did pull off a character which blended both the psychotic, damaged Harley with the educated psychologist Dr Quinzel - not a split personality per se, but knowledge that Harley was able to pull on as comfortably as picking up a giant hammer.

Speaking of qualifications, this version of Harley isn't made out as a waif-fu master or dependent on gimmicks when it comes to close-quarters combat. Her preferred style might be acrobatic, but she's definitely presented as having some solid physical muscle in her own right and an affinity for shotguns. She's not just a ditz with a mental break; she knows what she's doing when it comes to handing out pain. I'm damn sure that her scene of casually storming the police station single-handed is a deliberate homage to the original Terminator movie, for instance.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2020, 2:45 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:

To Have and Have Not

What are your opinions, Sister Ashley?

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2020, 7:20 am

KyleTheGhost wrote:

To Have and Have Not

What are your opinions, Sister Ashley?

Terminator was better than the last two, at least.

Tom Hanks as Mister Rogers? If I didn't know Hanks voice so well, I'd swear he was the real thing.

And classic Bogie