Page 998 of 1263 [ 20196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 995, 996, 997, 998, 999, 1000, 1001 ... 1263  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2020, 12:49 am

True Story Of The Kelly Gang.

Story of Australia's greatest desperado, Ned Kelly, his gang, and the alleged reasons that caused him to break the law. Pretty much good, but some parts were too drawn out. Like America, Australia had a pretty exciting but grim frontier history.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2020, 8:45 am

Buffaloed
Very quirky but fun.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2020, 1:30 pm

auntblabby wrote:
ABBA: the movie

What is your opinion, Aunt Blabby?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2020, 11:07 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ABBA: the movie

What is your opinion, Aunt Blabby?

a vivid slice of late 70s americana. worth renting. boffo surround sound stereo hifi soundtrack.

DeepBlueSouth
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2020, 12:07 am

"Unleashed" with Jet Li, Morgan Freeman, and the late great Bob Hoskins as a particularly nasty loan shark/mobster sort of fellow. I have a short attention span for most films, and this one wasn't very long, and they also must have characters that I believe could exist [even if only in personality, so few films in the past 20 years of mainstream hollowood have more than one characters with personality]. I am much more interested in classic film than modern cinema, and prefer comedy to literally any other genre. This movie was far from a comedy, but played into my 'guilty pleasure' in gritty crime stories without the sort of graphic violence that typically accompanies such movies [Think "Godfather" or "The Matrix" violence moreso than say "Taxi Driver" or "Saw" violence in this movie].

“Politics is the art of controlling your environment.”
― Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2020, 2:37 am

Just watched The Birds for the first time.

Well, that really just... ends. Feels very incomplete. But that may very well be intentional, to make it stick with you more, and I can appreciate that. But I want at least some sort of theory or something as to why this was happening, having exactly zero answers (unless I missed something) really bugs me.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2020, 8:42 am

DeepBlueSouth wrote:
"Unleashed" with Jet Li, Morgan Freeman, and the late great Bob Hoskins as a particularly nasty loan shark/mobster sort of fellow. I have a short attention span for most films, and this one wasn't very long, and they also must have characters that I believe could exist [even if only in personality, so few films in the past 20 years of mainstream hollowood have more than one characters with personality]. I am much more interested in classic film than modern cinema, and prefer comedy to literally any other genre. This movie was far from a comedy, but played into my 'guilty pleasure' in gritty crime stories without the sort of graphic violence that typically accompanies such movies [Think "Godfather" or "The Matrix" violence moreso than say "Taxi Driver" or "Saw" violence in this movie].

I like that movie.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2020, 11:27 am

Ilsa The Wicked Warden

A Jess Franco film from 1977. Seems to be about some sort of prison camp for mentally disturbed women in the jungles of South America, run by the psychopathic character in the title. Really depraved stuff from Franco, some decent laughs owing to the ineptitude of the script and plot, but a lot of this is just painful to watch, most particularly the end scenes, where the Warden is torn to shreds and eaten alive by the inmates. I wonder whether the name 'Ilsa' is meant to hark back to Ilsa Koch, one half of the husband and wife team who ran the Buchenwald concentration camp in the Second World War? The character, played by one Dyanne Thorne, is certainly given a Germanic accent in the dubbed dialogue.

Franco himself has an acting role in this, as in many other films of his, and Lina Romay (Mrs J Franco) is one of the inmates.

DeepBlueSouth
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2020, 1:32 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Just watched The Birds for the first time.

Well, that really just... ends. Feels very incomplete. But that may very well be intentional, to make it stick with you more, and I can appreciate that. But I want at least some sort of theory or something as to why this was happening, having exactly zero answers (unless I missed something) really bugs me.

Director Alfred Hitchcock never really felt that the details of the stories were as important as the cinematography. Several continuity issues in some of his films also give testament to this, for instance the amount of money stolen in the beginning of "Psycho" changes at least twice in the script of that film, as Hitchcock said it wasn't one of the important issues with the film and viewers weren't bothered by it [I was, did it mean that the boss inflated the amount stolen to launder cash from his own business or what...?]. For "The Birds" in particular, he never elaborated upon details such as why it all happened, whether or not it happened anywhere else in that universe [other than what the radio broadcast towards the end of the film suggests], whether or not it was actually over with, and of course why it happened at all in the first place [or how people's eyes simply being pecked out actually killed them]. I still say it's got the most baffling scriptwriting ever for such a great movie, and only Alfred Hitchcock could have made it a decent film with that kind of script. I feel that if just about anyone else had directed it, and if such actresses/actors had not been in the picture, it would be relegated to the bin of notoriously bad "B movies" and only remembered as either a cult classic, or one of those "midnight movies" people watch to make fun of it. I have a degree in media production, and other than the suspense, the cinematography, the acting, and the special effects... I still can't explain why I think it is indeed a great film.

“Politics is the art of controlling your environment.”
― Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Floraptor
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Oct 2020, 2:44 pm

I rewatched retro animated Disney films, including some I watched for hours on end when I was younger. I'm also going to binge the DC animated films when I have the time.

I'm not going to see the new Mulan where she is a Mary Sue written by American-supremacist people. Everyone on the Internet says it sucks, and it just looks and sounds like a time-waster.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 10:23 am

X-Men 1.5

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 5:49 pm

Us (written & directed by Jordan Peele)

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 8:32 am

That's a good one.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 5:32 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:

That's a good one.

My family and I have seen this before and yes, it is a well-made psychological horror film.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 4:05 am

DeepHour wrote:
Ilsa The Wicked Warden

A Jess Franco film from 1977. Seems to be about some sort of prison camp for mentally disturbed women in the jungles of South America, run by the psychopathic character in the title. Really depraved stuff from Franco, some decent laughs owing to the ineptitude of the script and plot, but a lot of this is just painful to watch, most particularly the end scenes, where the Warden is torn to shreds and eaten alive by the inmates. I wonder whether the name 'Ilsa' is meant to hark back to Ilsa Koch, one half of the husband and wife team who ran the Buchenwald concentration camp in the Second World War? The character, played by one Dyanne Thorne, is certainly given a Germanic accent in the dubbed dialogue.

Franco himself has an acting role in this, as in many other films of his, and Lina Romay (Mrs J Franco) is one of the inmates.

Those films were banned in Norway , so were kung fus and certain horror films like Chainsaw , Maniac among others

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 4:11 am

Films set in Venice :

Bond Moonraker (not great but not terrible either imo , fun globe trotting)
Comfort of strangers (great , Walken steals the show)
italian giallo (dont remember the title)
Kidnap in Rome (decent kung fu movie)