Old Children's Movies that are now Politically Incorrect

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 5:41 pm

Last night we watched Babes in Toyland (1961). They got to the part where they were selling Tom to the Gypsies, and I thought "oh-oh! THAT wouldn't be acceptable today, with the implications about Gypsies!"

Song of the South I guess was banished.

Peter Pan (1953) had that politically incorrect song "What Makes the Red Man Red?" Later remakes of Peter Pan have completely omitted the Indian tribe from Never Never Land.

What are some other films that wouldn't make today's grade?

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 6:07 pm

Honey69 wrote:
Last night we watched Babes in Toyland (1961). They got to the part where they were selling Tom to the Gypsies, and I thought "oh-oh! THAT wouldn't be acceptable today, with the implications about Gypsies!"

Peter Pan (1953) had that politically incorrect song "What Makes the Red Man Red?" Later remakes of Peter Pan have completely omitted the Indian tribe from Never Never Land.

Another remake difference for you - Pete's Dragon (1977)

The original versions made it prominently clear that the child Pete was purchased with money by his evil adoptive family, and as such they had every right to work him to death since they legally owned him. There was a whole song about it. "We've got a bill of sale right here, he's our until he's dead!" was a lyric from it. This seems to have been entirely omitted from the more recent 2016 remake, where now he's an orphan living in the forest.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 6:11 pm

ha! Its a trick question - no children's move made before 2020 will pass a test for political correctness (nor will some that come after). :D

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 7:11 pm

DanielW wrote:
ha! Its a trick question - no children's move made before 2020 will pass a test for political correctness (nor will some that come after). :D

Indeed :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 7:18 pm

WARNING - Spoilers

"Bambi"

His mother is killed by a hunter with a rifle. This scene is extremely traumatic for many children.

"Old Yeller"
The dog catches rabies and is put down with a gunshot to the head.

Bugs Bunny cartoons
He dresses in women's clothing, so he must be bi/trans/gay/liberal/lefty/commie and a threat to the American Way, so his cartoons must be banned.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 7:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
WARNING - Spoilers

"Bambi"
His mother is killed by a hunter with a rifle. This scene is extremely traumatic for many children.

"Old Yeller"

Bugs Bunny cartoons
He dresses in women's clothing, so he must be bi/trans/gay/liberal/lefty/commie and a threat to the American Way, so his cartoons must be banned.

We know you're being facetious with the last one, but as far as Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, I have two words for you: Censored Eleven.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 7:32 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Fnord wrote:
WARNING - Spoilers
"Bambi"

"Old Yeller"

Bugs Bunny cartoons

We know you're being facetious with the last one, but as far as Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, I have two words for you: Censored Eleven.
Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, and all those other Warner cartoons were funny, and their humor still holds up today.  Sadly, I have to report that the humor was not always Politically Correct, insofar as Political Correctness is defined today.  So I was being only partly facetious.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 7:36 pm

Looney Tunes also had lots of smoking and gun violence.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 7:46 pm

Children's programming is so bland nowadays, its a wonder kids even bother with it.

ElmersTrueLove
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2024, 7:58 pm

Elmer Fudd, he needs to be banned

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 8:07 pm

DanielW wrote:
Children's programming is so bland nowadays, its a wonder kids even bother with it.
Why should they, when on-line pronz is so readily available?  Every kink, every perversion, and every combination seems to be out there -- Rule 34 applies, after all.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 8:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
DanielW wrote:
Why should they, when on-line pronz is so readily available?  Every kink, every perversion, and every combination seems to be out there -- Rule 34 applies, after all.

I'm no prude, but its scary how easily accessible it is - one website, no login, no cash needed, and no age verification (pronzhub anyone?)

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 6:56 pm

I remember these Fractured Fairy Tales on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show, back in the '60s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UaJZM-lts

Not exactly as wholesome as Barney. But, maybe the next generation will think that Barney is too risqué.

DazyDaisy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Yesterday, 9:38 pm

How about poor Pepe!?

Pepe Le Pew was banned because his actions towards Penelope Pussycat were described as "sexual harassment, stalking, and abuse" :| :?.

[url="Criticism" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pep%C3%A9 ... cism,-edit]Criticii[/url]

Felt kind of weird about it, Pepe was always one of my favorite cartoon characters. Not because he's harrasing the poor pussycat but because he portraits excellently this type of guys most of women had to deal with at some point of their lives - not a real stalker and abuser but just a persistent, annoying, intrusive suitor who won't easily accept "No!" for an answer and who can't realize he's not that hot as he thinks. Pepe is just a parodical version of them.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 11:44 pm

Looney Tunes wasn't originally meant for children. Most early cartoons weren't for kids, they were shown in theaters and adults were usually the ones who had the money to go see them. But even nowadays a lot people still think that animation has to be at South Park level to be adult, otherwise it's only for kids. Which is dumb. When I was a kid I watched videos of Golden Age cartoons with plenty of adult stuff, even in Disney. Like that one where Goofy is keeping house while his wife is out for the day, and he gets smooched by the milk man, the mail man, and the grocery delivery man. What was Mrs. Goofy up to when Goofy wasn't home?? 8O

And then there was a cartoon called "Mickey's Parrot" that showed Mickey and Pluto listening to a story on the radio that went something like, "And as the chipmunk chased the pretty butterfly across the field, he slipped and fell on his fat little -- NEWS FLASH!!":lol:

I'm about 80% positive they'll cancel all Woody Woodpecker cartoons just because of his name. And then they'll change the name of real woodpeckers. Like, tree-chiselers or something. :roll:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 12:03 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
Honey69 wrote:

Another remake difference for you - Pete's Dragon (1977)

The original versions made it prominently clear that the child Pete was purchased with money by his evil adoptive family, and as such they had every right to work him to death since they legally owned him. There was a whole song about it. "We've got a bill of sale right here, he's our until he's dead!" was a lyric from it. This seems to have been entirely omitted from the more recent 2016 remake, where now he's an orphan living in the forest.

The Chipmunk Adventure movie. I really liked the movie and the new Chipmunk movies are trash, but they had scene where the Chipettes, who are supposed to be little girls, are dressed up like belly dancers while being held captive by an Egyptian prince who wants to make Brittany one of his wives when they are both adults, and they escape by charming a room full of cobras, dancing with them while singing the song "Gettin' Lucky". When I was young I thought it was funny and did not get the innuendo at all. And later the Chipmunks get captured by an island native tribe that take away their clothes and make them wear skimpy loin cloths, and one of the natives goes strutting by while wearing Alvin's shirt and carrying to a ghetto blaster that Alvin offered them, which I also found funny, but no no no that was wrong too because they're showing a bunch of stereotypical brown-skinned tribal people, but people don't seem to mind that part of the movie as much. Oh and the two bad guys in the movie smoke a lot, but they're the bad guys, so...