Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 5:16 am

Like the subject says. Poor Things seems to be making a feminist statement, but the writers and director are all male. I am surprised the film hasn't caught more shade from feminists.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 2:11 pm

Maybe, like me, the feminists found it intelligent, funny and thought-provoking?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 5:17 pm

To me it seemed very validating for someone who fancies himself a male feminist. Not the sort of hard core feminism one finds on https://reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes. So I decided to go look there and found:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/19cyw7v/the_movie_poor_things_is_a_male_fantasy/

This is how I would have expected most women to react, but what would I know?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2024, 4:25 pm

Sorry for being late for the party, but I totally agree with you. Here's my Letterbox review for the film that addresses some of my issues with it:
Socially acceptable ableism and pedophilia.
Subverts the "Born Sexy Yesterday" trope just to play it straight.
How many fking shots of Emma Stone's body do you need? The message of feminism is clear; you can only play a strong, self-actualized woman if you strip down to your socks.
How can no one see this for the Oscar bait it is? Non-disabled actors playing disabled characters for cheap laughs, what is this, Forest Gump?
I don't have a problem with sex scenes, though they bore me, I can understand they're important thematically. Watched Oppenheimer after this and didn't care when one jumped out at us in a movie about literal nuclear warfare. But this movie... Sometimes things are excessive on purpose.
"That's the point!" they cry. But that doesn't make something above critique.
The whole movie is just an excuse to play dress up and walk through honestly beautiful sets under the flimsy guise it follows the plot. Make an art exhibit, not a movie if you want to be offensive and then not explain yourself.

"Really? I'd like to meet him."

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 9:01 pm

I really have no idea what anyone is talking about. Maybe I ought to watch this one?