Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 1:52 pm

Did anyone like these series? I watched them recently and was very surprised at how good they were. There was lots of fighting and violence with blood, and also lots of graphic sex scenes. But they told the story of Spartacus very well and made me feel we should all start a revolution LOL

Artificius
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2015, 11:01 pm

I've apparently got a low tolerance for the blood, so I'm slowly working through the early part of the series, but I kind of like it. I'm really looking forward to Crassus turning up. It's a shame filmmakers and scriptwriters focus on the time right around Caesar and the formal transition to empire though, or the later imperial corruption. They really ought to do a series that focuses on the politics and intrigue of the middle Republic, particularly right around the second Punic war. You'd get blood, and much less of it Roman-on-Roman, comradery, a greatness of spirit, and a truly epic conflict, though it might be too big and foreign this far in the future to do it justice even on the big screen.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 1:18 pm

I don't think Crassus turns up until the 3rd series. If you are only on the 1st series you have a way to go but the second series is only 10 episodes. The production seems to get better too, almost as good as a high budget movie. And the original actor from series 1 dies so they have to replace him in season 2 with a new actor but he plays the role well.

I think Spartacus should be regarded as a hero to us all and I think the world needs someone like him now.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 12:52 pm

I watched the final episode of the final season last night and it was sad.

MightyOfus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Mar 2015, 5:29 pm

Love this show. It's "Game of Thrones" in Roman times. One of those shows where the episode ends, and you nearly break your mouse trying to select "Next Episode" because the cliffhanger was that good. :-P

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 4:52 am

MightyOfus wrote:
Love this show. It's "Game of Thrones" in Roman times. One of those shows where the episode ends, and you nearly break your mouse trying to select "Next Episode" because the cliffhanger was that good. :-P

Yeah, that is true. They are so good at making you need to know what happens next. One thing that got me was the final episode of the first series - I was surprised at how satisfying it was to see them slaughter the Romans.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 10:32 am

Artificius wrote:
I've apparently got a low tolerance for the blood, so I'm slowly working through the early part of the series, but I kind of like it. I'm really looking forward to Crassus turning up. It's a shame filmmakers and scriptwriters focus on the time right around Caesar and the formal transition to empire though, or the later imperial corruption. They really ought to do a series that focuses on the politics and intrigue of the middle Republic, particularly right around the second Punic war. You'd get blood, and much less of it Roman-on-Roman, comradery, a greatness of spirit, and a truly epic conflict, though it might be too big and foreign this far in the future to do it justice even on the big screen.

I'd like something about the Migrations Period, and the split&fall of the Roman Empire as well. There is not much about medieval or early medieval on film or as tv series. Discounting legendary stuff like King Arthur or Beowulf.