Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 7:43 pm

Okay, so..... I think most will agree that movies like "Gone with the Wind", "It's a Wonderful Life", and "The Wizard of Oz" are all classics; but, what constitutes a classic? Is it a movie that is loved by most? Is it a movie that is most memorable? Is a movie a classic, if you remember it, fondly, from your childhood, and still love it? Is it a movie that sets some kind of precedence? Is what constitutes a classic, different to different people?

Please post what YOU think constitutes "a classic", and why.

Also, feel free to post a movie that you would categorize as a classic, and state, why.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 10:55 pm

For me, a classic is a movie that endures. You can watch it when you're young, and then again 20 years later and still be thrilled by it. Or admire it. I can distinctly remember sneaking into a dingy theater back in the 70's to watch a midnight showing of "Clockwork Orange" and feeling shocked but also strangely fascinated by it. Now of course, it's not shocking, but it's still challenging because of the themes that run through it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 12:52 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
For me, a classic is a movie that endures. You can watch it when you're young, and then again 20 years later and still be thrilled by it. Or admire it. I can distinctly remember sneaking into a dingy theater back in the 70's to watch a midnight showing of "Clockwork Orange" and feeling shocked but also strangely fascinated by it. Now of course, it's not shocking, but it's still challenging because of the themes that run through it.

That would definitely be a big part of the definition of a classic film. I would add that such classic films have made an imprint on the consciousness of the public. The original Star Wars trilogy definitely fits the bill.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 1:05 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:

That would definitely be a big part of the definition of a classic film. I would add that such classic films have made an imprint on the consciousness of the public. The original Star Wars trilogy definitely fits the bill.

Classic films are so good, you don't even realize they are that good, but they build a reputation and are just as good going to see a second, third or fourth time without losing any of their excitement.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 10:06 am

I think it can fall in several criteria.

Iconic - Either so different from the style or content of the time, or a perfect representation of it

Zeitgeist - similar to iconic, but it shows the atmosphere, the Gefühl, of the time.

Culturally relevant - no matter what decade or century, the message of the director is still relevant, usually poignant or admonishing. E.g. the still relevant To Kill A Mockingbird

Captivating/compelling - a film whose story is compelling not matter how many times you watch it, or even a story that changes its meaning as you yourself change/age.

Emotional predators - why are The Shining and Psycho classics? Because they prey on your fear that anyone could be crazy.

Though having said all that, I can't say why I think The Italian Job is a classic, apart from it being timeless and fun. Though it could partly be that I'm English, and it's a British made film.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm

Yeah, I definitely think the original "Star Wars" is a classic----but, I can't decide why..... Maybe because it was the first epic, of its kind?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 9:23 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Yeah, I definitely think the original "Star Wars" is a classic----but, I can't decide why..... Maybe because it was the first epic, of its kind?

That, and because that movie and it's sequels had left such a powerful imprint in the popular consciousness. Joseph Campbell had elevated it to the status of modern mythology. Makes it much more than a mere movie, me thinks.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Feb 2015, 7:09 am

Even people who have never seen or sought out information about Star Wars know that Darth Vader is Luke's father. It's a huge meme.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 7:22 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Even people who have never seen or sought out information about Star Wars know that Darth Vader is Luke's father. It's a huge meme.

That actually weakens the movie for people who have not yet seen it, as it removes a major plot point at the end of V. That could also be a problem if someone watches the movies in their in-universe chronological order, as they see both of Darth Vader's children and they know Leia is Luke's sister, which was originally only revealed halfway VI.