Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AliceKathleen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jun 2015, 11:06 am

Hi, we went to see this movie about Brian Wilson this week. I found it quite engaging, though unsure about the
female character "Melinda', wondered if she would have hung around Brian if he had been living in a halfway house
and not a beautiful beach house. But anyway, that's a moot point. The movie as a whole is a good one!

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 4:52 pm

I just saw it myself. I enjoyed Love and Mercy very much, and I thought John Cusack did a nice job capturing the tone of the Brian I've seen in documentaries, and I assume real life. I was not worried about Paul Dano has the younger Brian. He came off has Brian in the previews, but John I just saw John Cusack. I was happily wrong.

I remember when I first watched Don Was' I Just Wasn't Made for These Times, there was a woman in a convertible riding around with Brian. I don't know why I didn't realize it until today, but it was Melinda. I realized it after seeing the end of the movie, I and realized that part of the story actually sort of happened in the Was film. I'm sure I have that DVD around here somewhere, but where?

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 7:56 pm

I am suddenly having my doubts about where I saw the footage of Brian and Melinda riding around in a convertible. Maybe it was the Smile documentary? I cannot find that DVD either. I am not a neat and tidy Aspie.

So I do not mean to misrepresent. It only matters to me because they were married in 1995, the same year as I Just Wasn't Made for These Times. So I find that sort of historically cool. If it was from Smile, then it's of mild interest.

I'm not sure if this explanation is needed. Sorry for the diversion.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 2:44 pm

pcgoblin wrote:
I am suddenly having my doubts about where I saw the footage of Brian and Melinda riding around in a convertible. Maybe it was the Smile documentary? I cannot find that DVD either. I am not a neat and tidy Aspie.

So I do not mean to misrepresent. It only matters to me because they were married in 1995, the same year as I Just Wasn't Made for These Times. So I find that sort of historically cool. If it was from Smile, then it's of mild interest.

I'm not sure if this explanation is needed. Sorry for the diversion.

That scene was in the Don Was film. They drive to where Brian's childhood home was and see that it has been demolished to make room for a highway. He laughs at this and Melinda thinks that it's sad. This was prior to this spot becoming a historical site in recent years. I was there 10 years ago and saw the plaque honoring the Beach Boys. I don't believe Melinda is in the Smile documentary, but I could be wrong since I have not watched it in several years. No interview bits with her stick out in my memory.

To the OP, many of Brian's fans do not seem to find Melinda trustworthy, for what it's worth. I personally wish he'd just do what makes him happy, even if that means making music no one else ever hears.

cupter
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jun 2015, 9:33 pm

Unfortunately I will have to travel far to see the movie in theatres around here, but I do intend on doing it. I've been waiting a long time for the movie to come out and I'm a huge Beach Boys (mostly Brian Wilson) fan. "
A lot of fans in the Youtube comments seem to dislike Melinda in favor of Marilyn. I agree that I'm just in support of the guy being happy. He deserves it.
The music Brian made with Marilyn (American Spring and the Honeys) may be the reason they like her better.