Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jdibella
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jun 2015, 8:52 pm

Anyone seen the new TV show mr robot. The main character is on the spectrum. I was shocked to see a main charactor with autistism. But I thought it totally worked. Like really enjoyed the first episode. Comments?

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 6:48 pm

This is on the list of TV show I want to watch, but haven't yet, but will.
It just looked interesting.
I did not realize the main character is on the spectrum.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 9:44 am

I have finally started watching Mr. Robot. I'm 10 minutes in and I already like it.

The first three episodes re-aired last night so I recorded them.

eric1g
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2015, 10:25 pm

I just finished watching the third episode.

I feel like Elliot is the only character I can understand. His motivations are really clear, while everyone else seems really hard to figure out.

Does anyone else feel this way? Is that really clever writing? or do NT's think that they can see motivations behind the other characters?

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2015, 6:11 am

This tv series is so amazing! every episode just manages to top the last one as well.

the guy playing Elliot is awesome and the character is so damn well written too

all you people can relate to Elliot ? loved the moment in episode 8 yesterday where the woman says to elliot "why don't you say something!" and he's just stood there looking like he doesn't know how to respond.

I get that feeling all the time :lol:

CBRVA83
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Aug 2015, 11:15 pm

The Elliot character in "Mr. Robot" actually has social anxiety disorder, which he mentioned in the pilot episode that I'm watching now on my DVR along with the other seven episodes I recorded. According to the Wikipedia article on SAD, the DSM-IV criteria stated that a person can't be diagnosed with SAD if their symptoms are more like those on the autism spectrum disorder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_anxiety_disorder

JaxTeller
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2015, 9:41 am

That show is top notch, came out of absolutely nowhere, Rami Malek is incredible in this. Last episode shows that he has a bunch more disorders, I don't even know if there's a term for it. Two more episodes !

catherinewalker

18 Aug 2015, 6:40 am

I have finally started watching Mr. Robot. I'm 10 minutes in and I already like it.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 10:44 am

My husband and I started it last week and binge watched it all within a couple of days. On a work night for him!

I dunno about him having SAD, he seemed pretty spergy to me. But things are sensationalized on TV so who can say. I feel like Elliot is the character that I wanted Will Graham to be in Hannibal.

I didn't see the twists coming toward the end. I can't wait for the next season!

IanMCGuitarguy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Oct 2015, 6:25 pm

It has just come out here in UK on Amazon's video service. Watched first four thus far and I'm quite enjoying it.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2015, 8:35 pm

Watched the whole first season and really enjoyed it.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 11:50 am

I liked it (sorry, i don't have a TV and i'm a bit slow to find new shows to watch on DVD).

Apart from the main character is probably very popular on this forum :)

The show is also quite good when dealing with IT Security, its none of that hollywood BS like Breaking In had (That show also had Christian Slater in it), i'm almost certain that they were mocking Breaking In when the 2 guys were sitting and talking in front of the TV about "TV shows ruining hacker culture" :D

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 7:11 am

I love this show! It's one of the most unique shows I've ever watched, and there are even some realistic seems about hacking and IT security. By default, I usually like any sort of show about those who think differently. The show really impressed me.

I don't totally get Eliot though. Why is dishonesty his default mode, just because he's a hacker? I have trouble relating to dishonest people, and I think his hacker explanation of distrust is a bit simplistic. He's fascinating though.

It's interesting: watching the show, I feel for him, even though he doesn't seem to feel for many others. I even find him sexy, in an unusual sort of way. Really though, why Shala?

Do any of you think Darlene is realistic? I've never actually spoken to a woman hacker, as far as I know, but I just can't quite imagine any of them being like her. Her dialogue and mannerisms seem fake to me, though I can't quite explain it.

Eliot's ideals are awesome, and it was fun to watch a show about vigilante hackers getting thigs done. In practice though, I can't imagine most of what happens on the show ever working out for the greater good in real life. What do you all think?

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 6:49 pm

I really enjoyed that show, although, seeing rami malik (the hero) without a shirt made me laugh everytime.
not the body of a junky-programmer, really.

vegam
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jul 2016, 7:06 pm

Ah, I adore that show. Mostly because I love Rami Malek and everything he does, but the show itself is so incredibly well-made. Really interesting visually with the framing of its shots, and such. I'm never bored during an episode.

I never really thought of the main character before as being an aspie but I could definitely see it. I've always related really well to him anyway just because I have depression.

On a side note, it sort of seems like Malek is starting to get "typecast" as mentally ill characters with tragic stories (first Josh Washington in Until Dawn, now this). Not complaining, as he's a fantastic actor and I think he does a good job with these roles, especially in Mr. Robot. It's just interesting, especially considering that one of his arguably biggest and most well-known roles apart from these is from Night at the Museum.

Contact me at: [email protected]

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 8:38 pm

Rami Malek was excellent in the series, and yes, that's interesting about his typecasting and funny about his shirtlessness. :D

He was on Jimmy Kimmel Live. This clip starts out a little slow and gets quite funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvBwJrc_-ns