Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TealOtter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2015, 5:10 pm

I've heard some people say that they really like how one of the characters is depicted with his struggles with Aspergers. What do you guys think? Does the show represent the struggles of Aspies well or poorly?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 6:55 am

I managed to get by never getting into that show. Found it to be more annoying than anything else.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 10:36 am

Given the wide diversity of how ASD can present, I imagine it well portrays someone's experience. For me, I found it stereotypically played and annoying.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 8:43 pm

There are actually two characters. Max is the first. The other is the character Hank, played by Ray Romano. After spending time with Max, and reading about Asperger's, he realizes that he is possibly on the spectrum. I really liked Ray Romano's character. There are parts of the show I really liked, and there are aspects of the show that I found annoying. The annoying part is personal. The characters sometimes take some nasty mood swings. I don't know how to describe it expect the writers needed some drama. Sometimes it just seems irrational. I also found it annoying how young people who supposedly had little money seem to live beyond their means, and everyone has a bottle of wine in the fridge.

Still those are my petty personal gripes, and I didn't let it stop me from watching. Like I said, I really liked Ray Romano's character.

AhsokaLives
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2015, 3:17 pm

pcgoblin, i totally agree with you. it actually bothered me how the family talked about and treated max (the aspergers kid), not to mention the shameless plugs and fals info from Autism Speaks (episodes on that false divorce statistic, for example). The guy evaluating me for autism actually suggested I start watching it, since my appointments were so spread out (i was waiting months!). If i wasn't an aspie, maybe I would have taken the hint!

HOWEVER i LOVE ray romano's character!! !! SO MUCH! and he was my favorite character from the first episode that he was in, well before they started the asperger's story line.

so: i liked the show more when they weren't talking about asperger's, until ray romano shows up.

"I often wonder if I should have been born at another time. My senses are unusually, some might say unnaturally keen, and ours is an era of distraction. It's a punishing drumbeat of constant input. It follows us into our homes and into our beds. It seeps into our... Into our souls, for want of a better word. [...] In my less productive moments, I'm given to wonder.... If I had just been born when it was a little quieter out there, [...] Might I have been more focused? A more fully realized person?"
-Sherlock, in Elementary ("The Marchioness")