What character or movie did you most identify with?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 10:45 pm

When i was 5 i was obsessed with Lilo and Stitch, (still can recite the entire movie)
for those who don't know the movie heres the plot:

Lilo and Stitch (2002) is a Disney animated Film about a Blue destructive alien experiment named Experiment 626,created by a alien mad Scientist Jumba, who escapes from Prison and crashes in hawaii on earth. (where else? am i right) Jumba and earth 'expert' Plikli track 626 down. There 626 finds a young girl names Lilo who is an orphan and is being raised by her older sister Nani, Lilo has no friends and just wants to be accepted. When Lilo is looking to adopt a dog, 626 poses as a dog and Lilo adopts him and names him Stitch (unaware Stitch is an alien).

I think I was so attached to this movie because i was a lot like Lilo growing up, all i wanted was to have friends and be accepted by someone, and i also felt like Stitch, throughout the movie people are saying how ugly stitch is and how he is weird and dangerous. its revealed near the end of the movie that stitch too feels lost and longs to be loved.

What movie did you connect with as a child?

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 11:54 pm

I'm trying to remember if I ever connected with any character... I know I empathized with Data a lot, from Star Trek Next Gen, and I always found myself connecting, in a way, with the more nerdy characters like Daniel Jackson from Stargate.
But when the show The Finder came on, I really connected with him for some reason. And Anders from the Dragon Age game series. Those two are the ones I've felt most connected to. Maybe it took me until adulthood to figure myself out, and realize I'm not really an alien.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 4:23 am

Moved from GAD.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 5:59 am

Well, I don't remember actually identifying with a character, when I was a CHILD----but, I always wanted to be one of the Disney princesses and marry a handsome guy, and live happily ever after.

As an ADULT, I can remember identifying with Patrick Swayze's character ("Johnny"), in "Dirty Dancing"----he felt like he was nothing, because he felt like an outcast around all those rich people, and it resonated with me, feeling like an outcast, in MY world.

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2015, 11:52 am

Its a 2 way tie.

Judge Dredd

Kenshiro of Hokuto no Ken Fame

PMs are fine, but my answers are probably going to be weird.

cupter
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jun 2015, 9:28 pm

He's not a movie character, but I identify with Abed Nadir from Community a lot. We're immensely similar.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2015, 7:01 am

I've been a child for a long time. These are in order of appearance in my life.

Pascal from The Red Balloon
Chance the Gardener from Being There
Edward from Edward Scissorshands (without the talent for apiary)
Forrest Gump from Forrest Gump
John Nash from A Beautiful Mind (without the brilliance)
Howard Hughes from The Aviator (without the money)

Before I was diagnosed, I was drawn to characters where were not quite right. Chance and Edward I still identify with the most, but since being diagnosed, I have found I don't relate the same way to characters in films or books. They use to occupy my head differently than they do now. It is like I have literally stopped looking for "me."

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 5:30 am

Twilight Sparkle. To an extent, Luna Lovegood. I guess Simon and Kaylee Tam's hypothetical child, assuming she is also similar to her aunt...

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 7:52 am

Between the age 8 and 10, Lon Chaney Jr.'s Wolfman.
I use to walk around the house on the front pads of my feet with baring my bottom teeth. I'd growl too. I think I did it on the playground at school as well. I was definitely a freak.

Sometimes the Frankenstein Monster, but it was more Glenn Strange's monster, because I don't think I saw Boris Karloff's monster until I was around 11. Not entirely true. I saw Son of Frankenstein when I was 4 to 5, and it left an impression, but it wasn't until I saw House of Frankenstein much later that it made a different type of impression.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 9:30 am

I'm wowed that someone has mentioned the Frankestein monster as this was a big one of mine when I was a kid.

Around the age of 10 I related to the Frankenstein monster as played by Boris Karloff. I felt sorry for him because I realized he felt misunderstood. I felt misunderstood and unloved for my problems and issues, and people did the same thing to him.

He didn't ask to be created, he was cobbled together and wound up being an imperfect "person" who did the wrong things even though he didn't intend to. I felt like an imperfect person who also did stupid things without realizing. He thought he was only playing with the little girl and didn't know she would wind up drowning instead of floating. I haven't made mistakes that serious but the same principle applies to saying or doing the wrong thing at the wrong time, being clumsy, not knowing what's appropriate.

And the monster's bouts of anger and how those made people hate and fear him reminded me of my meltdowns and how they made my family pissed off with me. He was lonely, misunderstood, vilified for things he couldn't entirely help, and ostracized. I felt many of the same experiences as a child. He stood out to me as in many ways someone with some of my problems.

Proteus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2015, 11:35 am

I rarely, if ever, identified with fictional characters as a child. Don’t get me wrong. I was as into watching cartoons and other children’s programming as the next kid. I LOVED 80s cartoons. Still do. Lol. And I was always a big superhero fan. But I never identified with any of them. I didn’t start consciously identifying with characters until I was an adult. Now I have a plethora of characters that speak to me, most of whom are the usual suspects for folks like us: Abed, Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sherlock, Spock, Tuvok and Vulcans in general, Data and Reginald Barclay, Don Tillman from The Rosie Project, Oskar from Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Marcelo from Marcelo in the Real World and Nelson from If You Could Say it in Words are my current favourites.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 7:47 pm

Jason Bourne from the Jason Bourne Trilogy.

tinyteddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2015, 11:15 pm

i saw As Good As It Gets when i was about 12. i identified strongly with jack nicholson's character because everyone thought he was a freak, but he was actually a good guy. it's like i had been trying to say that my whole life. i am a female. but the gender made no difference. i felt how he felt.

AhsokaLives
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2015, 3:12 pm

I strongly identify with Sherlock characters: House (Hugh Laurie's character), Cumberbatch's Sherlock, and lately Johnny Lee Miller's Sherlock (in Elementary). I recently discovered Abed in Community! sometimes Tim Roth's character in Lie to Me (Lightman). apparently I identify with TV characters more than movie ones!

I am female, but it's never bothered me to identify with male characters. Closest female one is Ahsoka Tano (a star wars character), which is funny, because I hated her at first...

"I often wonder if I should have been born at another time. My senses are unusually, some might say unnaturally keen, and ours is an era of distraction. It's a punishing drumbeat of constant input. It follows us into our homes and into our beds. It seeps into our... Into our souls, for want of a better word. [...] In my less productive moments, I'm given to wonder.... If I had just been born when it was a little quieter out there, [...] Might I have been more focused? A more fully realized person?"
-Sherlock, in Elementary ("The Marchioness")

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 9:41 pm

Not many years ago, I found myself identifying very much with the Frankenstein monster; but the Robert DeNiro monster of Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, not the early Korloff version. I saw him as alone and afraid, at first developmentally delayed, but able to more than catch up, that one could call him intellectually exceptional. He so very much wanted to love and be loved, and yet he was judged for his personal appearance as a monster to be shunned and feared. I very much saw myself in DeNiro's portrayal. And this was before I was ever diagnosed with Asperger's.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 10:11 pm

I don't recall any as a child.

Today, I sometimes (jokingly?) say that I identify as a strange mixture of Tyler Perry's Madea and Stewie from Family Guy. :D