Star Wars: the Force Awakens - Worst Star Wars film ever?

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

I_Heart_Unicorns
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Oct 2016, 10:16 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
Could we all just stop ranting about what we don't like and focus on what makes us happy instead? I mean, I can't stand lemons, but I'm not about to rant on the internet about how much I dislike them. I'd much rather talk about kittens.

Once upon a time there were people who loved lemons. In fact, they liked lemons so much that they set up this special club for other lemon-lovers. They all got together to discuss how much they liked lemons.
And then a strange thing happened. Instead of being happy about how much they loved lemons, they started to actively dislike anyone who professed not to like lemons. They then even started to hate people who didn't like lemons.
Lemon-loving became a religion of sorts, and anyone who said they didn't like lemons was accused of blasphemy and the lemon-lovers wanted them dead.
So the lemon-haters started answering back.
And that's where we are now, minus the kittens.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 7:33 am

Quote:
They then even started to hate people who didn't like lemons.

No one here has stated any dislike for anyone else. Do you really only engage in conversations in which everyone shares the same opinion? It's very hard to learn or contribute anything to the world in that way. :?

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 1:45 pm

^^ :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :scratch: :huh:

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

raisedbywookiees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2016, 12:28 am

I enjoyed The Force Awakens and the new characters, and I did geek out when the Millennium Falcon made it's appearance, and when Han and Chewie made their appearances, and then when Leia made her appearance, and when C-3PO and R2-D2 also made their appearances LoL. I must confess too, that I got very emotional at the final scene with Luke... so very much has happenned between the time I saw A New Hope as a wide eyed 7yo and The Force Awakens as a recently diagnosed 45yo.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to reading Star Wars: Bloodline.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 10:48 am

Quote:
I enjoyed The Force Awakens and the new characters, and I did geek out when the Millennium Falcon made it's appearance, and when Han and Chewie made their appearances, and then when Leia made her appearance, and when C-3PO and R2-D2 also made their appearances

Me, too. What do you think of the theory that Luke is Rey's father? I think it's more likely she's Kylo Ren's twin sister. Luke and Leia were twins separated for their own protection, so it would continue that pattern.

raisedbywookiees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2016, 8:17 pm

I don't think Rey and Kylo are twins as they are different ages but they could still be siblings ;)

My gut feeling is that Rey is Luke's daughter. She has shown to be very strong in the Force. Rey seems to have a connection with Luke's (once Anakin's) lightsaber. Maz even says, “and now it’s calling for you.” I'm not so good with subtext, but I'd like to think that she's not presenting Luke with his lightsaber at the first Jedi Temple, but presenting herself to Luke as his daughter.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 9:20 pm

Meh, I enjoyed it.

I_Heart_Unicorns

02 Nov 2016, 2:41 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
I_Heart_Unicorns wrote:
I bought the DVD of TFA wanting so much for it to (a) explain what had happened since Episode VI and (b) to give us something new and fresh. It failed on both counts. It's not a 100% copy of Episode IV, but I can fully understand why people say it's just a rehash of Episode IV (with nods to V and VI). I mean, directionless individual longing for more growing up on desert planet, space Nazis, plucky rebels, something something something Dark Side, destroy Death Star 3.0, the end, roll credits. It wasn't a 100% copy, just a 99.999% copy.
I found it lame and very disappointing.

Ha, ha, I just got a virtual hug! I'm smiling my ass off!

I_Heart_Unicorns

02 Nov 2016, 2:51 pm

Jono wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
Jono wrote:
...but the ending left the story to potentially go in any direction in the future sequels.

Yeah, but I expected a full movie, not a hour-long advertisement for its "future sequels" and all the merchandise related to it. I don't like that kind of crap. That kind of filmaking doesn't belong in neither Disney or Star Wars films, it belongs in M. Night Shymalan's long line of disappointingly crappy films.

|
|
V

J. J. Abrhams and Disney can go take their sequel crap elsewhere!

Well, it's a trilogy okay? That means that the main purpose of the first instalment of the trilogy is to introduce us to the new characters and set up the plot for the rest of the trilogy. That goes for any trilogy. Now, besides the fact that the plot is actually not exactly the same as "A New Hope", the only thing I really care about when assessing whether I like a movie or not is if I find it entertaining, that's it. A movie can have a similar plot to another movie, I don't care, it can be full of cliche's and I also don't care, as long as it's entertaining, I'll like it.

I've a horrible feeling that Ep 8 will be a remake (of sorts) of ESB and Ep 9 will be remake (of sorts) of RoTJ.
I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't shake this feeling.

I_Heart_Unicorns

02 Nov 2016, 3:23 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
They then even started to hate people who didn't like lemons.

No one here has stated any dislike for anyone else. Do you really only engage in conversations in which everyone shares the same opinion? It's very hard to learn or contribute anything to the world in that way. :?

Yeah, true, no-one on this particular thread has expressed any dislike toward anyone for expressing their dislike of TFA. When I posted my comment I had in mind the hatred that dislikers of the original trilogy experience from those who think it's faultless. And yeah, I realize that's off-topic because this thread is about TFA. But whatever, I wrote what I wrote with the OT in mind (albeit in the wrong thread). People like me who don't think the OT is anywhere near as good as it's cracked up to be are accused by some of blasphemy, heresy, sacrilege. They're only films, yet people have this quasi-religious devotion toward the OT. And conversely, anyone who says they like episodes I, II or III is equally vilified, because the accepted wisdom among the "true believers" is that episodes IV, V and VI are perfect and episodes I, II and III are s**t. That is ridiculously simplistic reasoning and doesn't stand up to in-depth analysis. (For the record, I think all 6 films have good things and bad things about them (to a greater or lesser degree), and all of them could be improved, because none of them are perfect).

As for your question "Do you really only engage in conversations in which everyone shares the same opinion?", the answer is a resounding no. There are films I like that others have told me they dislike/hate and vice versa, but I'll engage in a discussion with anyone about a film if the person can be reasoned with.
But that's a big if. Many Star Wars fanboys/fangirls simply cannot be reasoned with. They're intolerant and illogical.
You point out scientific impossibilities, plot holes, poor acting, poor dialogue, poor plots, and they simply don't want to know. It's as if they're putting their fingers in their ears and going "Blah, blah, blah, not listening."
I'll gladly engage in conversation with someone who doesn't share my opinion providing that person is capable of engaging in a logical conversation. If not, there's no chance of anyone learning anything.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 5:18 pm

Quote:
providing that person is capable of engaging in a logical conversation.

Film is an art form, and therefore opinions about movies will always be at least partially subjective. A film can be objectively perfect (great script, great acting, etc.) and still not everyone will enjoy it. The opposite is also true.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 5:19 pm

^Good point. :cheers:

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

I_Heart_Unicorns

08 Nov 2016, 6:41 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:

Film is an art form, and therefore opinions about movies will always be at least partially subjective. A film can be objectively perfect (great script, great acting, etc.) and still not everyone will enjoy it. The opposite is also true.

Certain things are subjective, but plot holes aren't.
Plot holes are a matter of logic, not opinion.
When they decided not to shoot at the escape pod with R2-D2 and C-3PO on board that was a major plot hole. If they'd destroyed the pod that'd've been the end of the film.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 5:50 pm

I_Heart_Unicorns wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:

Certain things are subjective, but plot holes aren't.
Plot holes are a matter of logic, not opinion.
When they decided not to shoot at the escape pod with R2-D2 and C-3PO on board that was a major plot hole. If they'd destroyed the pod that'd've been the end of the film.

Sadly that's the main problem I had with EpVII. Here are a few of the many annoying plot holes from The Force Awakens:

1. Why did Luke went missing? - The film didn't make it very clear, and I don't mind a good old mystery, but the movie didn't even bother to tease us with some clues as to why he would be missing. I'm pretty sure they did that on purpose. :roll:

2. Why didn't the First Order put all of their efforts to kill Finn as fast as possible? - Finn, one of their stormtroopers, revealed to the Republic/Rebelion the Starkiller base's weak point, and judging by the atronomical damage the base received at the end of the film (SPOILER ALERT: it blew up! :P ) you'd think that the First Order would send, oh I don't know, Captain Phazma or some Boba Fett-esque bounty hunter (or even Boba Fett himself! 8O ) to kill Finn as fast possible so that they would prevent valueble information from leeking out to their enemies. But nope! They just let that happen because... Star Wars Episode IV: a New Hope.

Heck! Even Boba Fett's father, Jango Fett, did just that; he killed one of the bounty hunters that Obi-Wan and Anakin were interrogating Coruscant by shooting a posion dart at her.

I mean, if a character FROM THE PREQUELS does something smarter than what an intergalactic empire did with its whistleblower then I think Star Wars: The Force Awakens has some serious logic problems! :roll:

3. What happened to Captain Phazma after the Starkiller base got destroyed? - I mean, seriously, you have one of the most feminist characters in the movie and you don't reveal her fate? Heck! at least we got to know what happened to Boba fett in Return Of the Jedi! Meanwhile our potential feminist stormtrooper who may enpower many women died offscreen... or at least I think she did.

See? Notice how this annoying plothole made me wonder? I believe the reason why is that is because Disney wanted to cash-in on Five Night's at Freddy's popularity by imitating them. Do you see why I bring it up so often? :evil:

-Thomas Jefferson

LadyRocketRide
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Nov 2016, 2:26 am

Thank you! I'm not the only one who hates this movie! I couldn't make it past halfway through it, that's how boring it was.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 8:14 am

Plot Hole:
In fiction, a plot hole, plothole or plot error is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot. Such inconsistencies include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.

A plot hole is that ghosty Obi Wan asks Yoda, "Was I any different when you taught me?" yet in the prequels Yoda is never his teacher.
A lot of the other stuff you guys are saying does not meet the definition.