Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (here be spoilers)

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 7:55 am

I just watched this movie tonight, and really enjoyed it. Anyone willing to discuss it?

I will not mention any spoilers until someone else does. :)

On sabbatical...

Matt_the_Rat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2007, 11:22 am

For the most part I liked the movie. I just found all of the alliances and betrayals confusing. I also felt the ending could have gone a different direction.

jstrewth
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2007, 2:04 pm

Saw it last night. Very good, even though some of it was too surreal for my tastes.

Anybody else think something happened to Jack's mind when the Krakken took him away to Davy Jones's locker?

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 6:02 pm

Matt_the_Rat wrote:
For the most part I liked the movie. I just found all of the alliances and betrayals confusing. I also felt the ending could have gone a different direction.

Did you watch the after-credits sequence?

jstrewth wrote:
Saw it last night. Very good, even though some of it was too surreal for my tastes.

Anybody else think something happened to Jack's mind when the Krakken took him away to Davy Jones's locker?

It probably just unhinged an already....well, I couldn't say 'unstable', but a rather 'unique' mind. Remember, Jack could have engaged in a number of those monologues when at sea just before the first POTC movie (remember, he makes his grand entrance into Port Royal perched on top of a sinking ship...).

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 6:04 pm

Actually, now that I come to think of it, much of the main and recurring cast are either Poms or Aussies. Only Johnny Depp breaks that mold.

On sabbatical...

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 6:29 pm

i don't get how people can say the alliances and betrayal were that hard to follow....i thought it was a fun movie and really good overall.

eh, i guess most people don't enjoy having movies that are that involved.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 6:30 pm

skafather84 wrote:
i don't get how people can say the alliances and betrayal were that hard to follow....i thought it was a fun movie and really good overall.

eh, i guess most people don't enjoy having movies that are that involved.

Yeah, I enjoy working out those machiavellian motivations....

On sabbatical...

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 10:19 pm

IT WAS BLOODY AWESOME! YAAAAY!

XD

Dude, convoluted or not, damn if that wasn't one of the funnest 3 hours I've had in the theater for a loooong time. (Granted, I loved Lord of the Rings, but those weren't fun--those were depressing. Depressing in a good way, but not "fun.") Soooo much better than Dead Man's Chest...the action worked, the comedy worked, the special effects were awesome, Davy Jones kicked ass, Barbossa kicked ass...a lot of great little moments...though, I still don't think they correctly captured Jack Sparrow's character in it. In the first one, he had this Columbo thing going on--this brilliant trickster mastermind who pretended to be a fool. But in the second and third, those two layers were sorta reversed, so that he was more like a fool who thought he was brilliant. But oh well--at least in this one we got to see how bloody insane he actually is, so that makes up for it for the pure entertainment factor of seeing an entire crew of Johnny Depp's.

FUN! I mean...the shivering monkey...the dog's keys (how'd he escape from the cannibals?)...Keith Richards...the wedding scene...whirlpool battle...the midget pirate coming out a hole then firing the huge gun and being launched right back into it...the eel-headed crew member...

But, yeah, it isn't perfect. Voodoo Lady/Calypso's lines were typically so cheesy and nonsensical that I was glad her accent was too thick to understand half the time, especially when she got all big in her last scene there. And poor Elizabeth, living on the island all that time! Sheesh, how'd she survive? Off of rum that might have been buried there? Did her child live off of rum too? Did they have drinking laws back then? Do they even apply on an island like that? Ah well, who cares, it's fun. XD

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 10:54 pm

was elizabeth living on the island the whole time?

i kinda assumed because she was a pirate (pirate-king at that!), she was just meeting up with him there and didn't actually live there with him.

and how could you say jack was a fool? he tricked all the pirates by actually not voting for himself but instead voting for elizabeth. then there's the whole setting the chain of events into motion by booting will turner and giving will the compass and tricking beckett (though this was more for the purpose of getting to davy jones' heart...not for how things ended up).

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2007, 9:58 pm

I saw it today!! ! It was very good expect for the ending but the writers did redeam themself with the 2 min. after the credits. However, my friend and I thing the writers wrote themselves into the hole and couldn't get out. I enjoyed it and couldn't stop talking about since I got home from watching it. The only thing that i saw was a problem was the writing but if you watched the special features on the Pirates 2, you would know that the writers with kind of writing the scprit while they were filming the movie. However, I loved the movie and could watch it over and over again.

Side note: I like these kind of movies that have twists in them and are much more involved.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 1:52 am

SPOILERS AHOY!
This explains the ending and the post-credits sequence.

Spoilers about the ending and post-credits sequence wrote:
According to the writers, a series of scenes cut from the movie explain that, while Will is cursed to be captain of The Flying Dutchman for eternity, if Elizabeth stays faithful for the first ten years he is away, he can visit Elizabeth and his son whenever he wishes.

On sabbatical...

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 2:01 am

It seems like it could just repeat itself over and over.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 6:32 pm

skafather84 wrote:
was elizabeth living on the island the whole time?

i kinda assumed because she was a pirate (pirate-king at that!), she was just meeting up with him there and didn't actually live there with him.

and how could you say jack was a fool? he tricked all the pirates by actually not voting for himself but instead voting for elizabeth. then there's the whole setting the chain of events into motion by booting will turner and giving will the compass and tricking beckett (though this was more for the purpose of getting to davy jones' heart...not for how things ended up).

Hah. I don't know, it's definitely possible that she wasn't there the whole time. I was kind of joking. Thanks to Quartermass for explaining the rest.

Good points about Jack. Adding one: the last scene, with the hole in the map. XD I guess he was better in this one than the 2nd one, then.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 7:33 pm

I thought it was great. It was my favorite of the three. :D

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 7:45 pm

i missed after the credits...can someone tell or pm me what happened?

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 8:17 pm

skafather84 wrote:
i missed after the credits...can someone tell or pm me what happened?

Basically it said "10 years later" and showed Elizabeth on the island with a 10-year-old kid. Oh, goodie, they're going to meet Orli.