Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 4:21 pm

Can you have a streaming service & get an antenna for local channels?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 5:15 pm

I do that, but the TV set I bought in 2004 wouldn't receive the new digital channels, so I had to buy a new TV set. The new TV set will stream via WiFi.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 5:47 pm

Do you have a Smart TV?

garysoneji
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2017, 5:56 pm

If you have an older TV, you'll need to get a digital converter box to plug the antenna into. Otherwise, yes, you can do that.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 5:58 pm

Yes, I just checked an it is a Smart TV. But, it is just loading an App for the first time, so I can't tell you much about it. I got it as a Black Friday sale item for $300+sales tax.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 6:04 pm

My wife and I use an outdoor antenna for local OTA (Over-The-Air) channels -- true HD where cable, satellite and internet channels are not -- then we have a Roku device for getting more free channels [as well as a Sling TV subscription] from the internet. The Roku needs an HDMI connection at the TV, and be cautious about 720p vs 1080p if you might need a new TV.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 6:55 pm

My mom brought my tv around 2008, I have an internet video on my tv remote. I want a smart tv if I have to, it might be hard to set it up. What is the best to stream Roku, Sling or Amazon Prime Video? I like Netflix & Hulu.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 9:25 am

Think of Roku as a "hub" with all the others you have mentioned being available from there. Also, our Roku device works best while wire-connected to our router rather than through Wi-Fi...but that might be different for you depending upon which Roku device you have and the speed of your router's Wi-Fi.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 9:42 am

You may want to do what I did--see if you can buy a new Smart TV set when they go on sale for Christmas this year. Some stores will sell stuff a few days before Black Friday at the advertised sale price, so you might check the week before for great deals. This year Black Friday is on November 24th.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/3944384/black-friday-date-2017-deals-discounts-websites/
The stores in the UK also do Black Friday.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 5:39 pm

BTDT wrote:
You may want to do what I did--see if you can buy a new Smart TV set when they go on sale for Christmas this year. Some stores will sell stuff a few days before Black Friday at the advertised sale price, so you might check the week before for great deals. This year Black Friday is on November 24th.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/3944384/black-friday-date-2017-deals-discounts-websites/
The stores in the UK also do Black Friday.

I been reading about Sling & Roku, I think Roku is better, do Roku have they own TVs? It’s said it’s easy to set up, but easy stuff can be hard to understand for me. I don’t know which one to buy.

garysoneji

19 Oct 2017, 8:16 pm

A new TV isn't necessary. If you have an HDMI port, you can easily hook up a good streaming device. I recommend the Amazon Fire Stick. As for the local channels, you need an antenna either way, so if it doesn't work alone, you know you'll need a digital converter box.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 8:15 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
I been reading about Sling & Roku, I think Roku is better, do Roku have they own TVs?

Roku is a device as well as a service, and Sling is available from Roku if you want more channels. The Roku TVs I have seen only have 720p resolution and you want 1080p for the best display of HD.