Sexual Harassment against celebrities has me concerned

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 7:37 am

With more celebrities being outed for what they've done it gets me concerned because while I am not a big fan of most of those people I may like they're work. I remember Bryan Singer was accused of something like this back in 2014 and something tells me this might come back. I'm not a fan of Bryan Singer. Heck I've never even seen The Usual Suspects which had Kevin Spacey in it and I don't really care if I do but I do like the X-Men movies. Particularly X2 and Days of Future Past. The first one is OK and Apocalypse has its moments but if Singer is accused does this mean I'm not allowed to enjoy those movies anymore? Is it disrespectful to the people he might have hurt? I mean I don't think about that stuff when I'm watching those films so does that make me a bad person?
One of the people who worked on Arrow is accused now and I love that show. Particularly the first two seasons. Does that mean I can't revisit those in the future? If I did would that make me disrespectful? I think you know what I'm trying to ask. Are we being disrespectful for enjoying the works of these accused celebrities and not thinking about what they did to those people? I mean it's not like they don't deserve justice or anything but well I'm very confused and concerned.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 8:33 am

I know what you mean. I'm still going to watch Spacey's movies, because he has always given me "what a creep, I don't like that guy" vibes, so nothing changed there. Same with Louie CK, although he's definitely a different kind of creep, and I feel like he has known for a long time that he needs help but was just too afraid to seek it. I hope he can get things sorted out, but I have this fear that he'll sink into depression and attempt suicide =/ Maybe I'm wrong. I'm kind of bummed that Louie's stuff is getting cancelled, because unlike Spacey, I actually liked him a lot, and now I'm interested in seeing his movie.

I hope they get Singer, I hope they get a lot of pedophiles, I hear it's really bad in Hollywood and has been for decades and decades. I hope people start taking Corey Feldman seriously, but it's so much easier for the media to laugh in his face, call him a nut, and pretend that no one will ever take down the pedophile ring. They think all their money and power will protect them forever.

I did watch Apocalypse after the allegations, but I didn't know he directed it, I didn't know that they bought his way out of that court mess. Every X-Men film I've seen (haven't seen First Class) made me think "well, maybe the next one will be better", but I would much rather just watch the animated series. I will still watch them (if they keep making them, but not at full price), and maybe rewatch the old ones, but I can separate the film from the politics, so to speak.

What worries me most is that so far, the charges have been against people who are no surprise...how will I feel if some sick serious dirt comes out about some of my favorite people?? 8O Or if things get out of hand and it turns into a witch hunt against innocent people? (which Jeremy Piven is claiming)

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 10:21 am

SabbraCadabra wrote

Quote:
I did watch Apocalypse after the allegations, but I didn't know he directed it, I didn't know that they bought his way out of that court mess. Every X-Men film I've seen (haven't seen First Class) made me think "well, maybe the next one will be better", but I would much rather just watch the animated series. I will still watch them (if they keep making them, but not at full price), and maybe rewatch the old ones, but I can separate the film from the politics, so to speak.

Well I watched Days of Future Past after the knowledge of what Singer was accused of and I loved the movie and have watched it many times after and I still want too. Does that make me a bad person? I mean can't I still enjoy this movie despite what Singer might have done? I mean I know he was the director but other people worked on this movie too and it probably would have still been made (though probably differently) and it's not like he was in the movie. I mean he did make a cameo but that doesn't count.

The Abdominal Snowman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Nov 2017, 11:16 am

Quote:
The first one is OK and Apocalypse has its moments but if Singer is accused does this mean I'm not allowed to enjoy those movies anymore?

If Singer is accused.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 12:36 pm

Quote:
Quote:If Singer is accused.
Tells me all I need to know about you.

Quote:
Or if things get out of hand and it turns into a witch hunt against innocent people?

A witch hunt to sort out the innocent from those that (gasp) engaged in quid pro quo with ambitious females.
Scandalous.

I can't understand your gibberish are you saying I am a bad person for liking that movie despite what Singer might have done.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 12:54 pm

First, stop saying witch hunt. Find another metaphor.

Powerful people have exploited their power to "ask but not really just ask" various inappropriate favors from their subordinates. Others have engaged in more flagrant abuse of power. Anyone who has had women trust them enough to confide in them has known this for a long time. It turns out we didn't have especially unlucky friends; that was the general scope of the problem.

The important thing is to take the power away from people who have abused it. If you have the stomach for it, enjoy their art. Buy used or pirate it, so you don't add to their power.

This tired old lie that all women falsely accuse men is dying. Trust women. Most have the sense not to betray that trust. Women will repudiate false accusations.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 4:44 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:

Powerful people have exploited their power to "ask but not really just ask" various inappropriate favors from their subordinates. Others have engaged in more flagrant abuse of power. Anyone who has had women trust them enough to confide in them has known this for a long time. It turns out we didn't have especially unlucky friends; that was the general scope of the problem.

The important thing is to take the power away from people who have abused it. If you have the stomach for it, enjoy their art. Buy used or pirate it, so you don't add to their power.

This tired old lie that all women falsely accuse men is dying. Trust women. Most have the sense not to betray that trust. Women will repudiate false accusations.

It is a witch hunt though--we woman are all witches, and we're hunting rapey pervs. :wink:

So be afraid, pervs. The witches are coming for you.

And if you're not a rapey perv, you've got nothing to worry about from witches.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 9:37 pm

I had an interesting conversation with someone I know well. He led with saying that it had become fashionable to complain about sexual harassment. I replied that a flood of women had started to come forward only when they felt they would be believed. The next thing I know, he's telling me about how a man reached down his pants when he was just a kid, and that he had not told his mother about it. Then he tells me that his brother had a similar incident on a bus.

He's much older than I, so his incident would have happened soon after WWII. The horrifying scope of this problem seems to cover anyone who has no power to press a complaint, and has probably gone on forever. The times do seem to have changed, and things look better for nearly everyone. Except, obviously, for preferential abusers.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 9:47 pm

tb86 wrote:
Well I watched Days of Future Past after the knowledge of what Singer was accused of and I loved the movie and have watched it many times after and I still want too. Does that make me a bad person?

Yeah, I don't really know how to answer that =) At least not in a way that will make sense to anyone but myself, and I certainly don't want to risk sounding like a villain on such a touchy subject.

But you're right, there were a TON of people who worked on that movie, and he's just one of them. Do you deny everyone else a royalty check just to spite the director?

...or do film workers even get royalty checks? I don't know, I just woke up.

jrjones9933 wrote:

Would you prefer "McCarthyism"?

jrjones9933 wrote:

I never said "all women falsely accuse men", but I know that a lot of PEOPLE, regardless of sex, enjoy lying. And in this case, with all of the accusations currently going around, it seems to be split fairly evenly between males and females, so I would say there isn't really a gender bias regarding the victims. The most recent accusation, against George Takei who denies it, is from a male.

I had some serious FALSE sexual molestation charges brought against me when I was young, by a group of -friends- (who were all male), so I know well how it feels...and it is completely awful. I was hurt, and I was confused, still to this day I have no idea why they did it. It's very easy for a group of people to conspire together, create the same story, and pin it on someone else. It's the type of allegations that figures of authority take VERY seriously, and when it's their words against yours, you feel completely helpless; no one believes you, the accusers have the higher ground, and there is absolutely no evidence to prove your innocence. I can only imagine how it feels when you have an entire lifelong career at stake, and a spouse and children to protect.

I'm getting a little swept up in emotions here, these bad memories keep getting dug up lately. I'm certainly not saying that ALL of the allegations in Hollywood right now are false, but I've seen both sides of the story (I won't get into the other side though), and there are very great probabilities of this getting way out of hand.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 11:33 pm

It's my impression that the number of supportable claims of sexual assault which are not made far exceeds the number of false claims which are made. I mean, by about two orders of magnitude.

However, you didn't deserve to be treated like that. It was boys who made the claims, right? Not full-grown women.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 8:39 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
It was boys who made the claims, right?

Yeah, it was boys, we were all boys back then.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 1:37 pm

Women clearly have the capacity to do evil, or to make mistakes. With that understanding, it still makes no sense to generally attribute to full-grown women the motivations, attitudes, or behavior of teenage boys. Thinking of that may calm any irrational fears.

When I say I believe women, I mean it in a probabalistic sense. For my part, however, I have long known about the extent of the problem of sexual assault and sexual harassment. My peer group as an older teen and young adult had a good gender balance and lots of other diversity, and we went deep on difficult topics as a matter of course. By the time I had heard from most of my close female friends, I had heard stories of child abuse, date rape, and rape by armed strangers. Even assuming that everyone had opened up about every single instance and no other women I knew had suffered the same (which I now realize is not at all likely), my personal awareness of the vast scope of the problem in the 70s and 80s in the US made the concept of rape culture fairly easy to understand.

The same applies to trusting the women who now feel supported to come forward. I find it easy, because I have personally heard similar stories from most of the women who know me well enough to feel safe telling me. If anyone has a hard time seeing that the current wave of stories about inappropriate behavior by people in power only represents a change in the willingness of society to listen, I would ask them to consider the size of their sample. Also, to consider whether they have invited that kind of disclosure or shut it down by asserting that "women make a lot of false rape accusations," or whatever the phrase that indicates high levels of doubt on your part. Who would disclose after that?

The measuring implement definitely affects the observed results in this case.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 3:06 pm

It's a good thing that I'm not famous.

On two separate occasions at baseball games over several years when I was sitting next to the aisle/steps, I was putting on a jacket and had my armed stretched out and accidentally brushed the crotch area of a woman walking down the steps. Both times, it was with the back of my hand so it could hardly be called a grab.

After that, I started turning around and looking to see if anyone was coming before I would put my jacket on.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Nov 2017, 5:54 am

I don't think your a bad person for watching & liking things those people have done. Doing something bad should not erase everything good about a person. I think Bill Clinton was a great president even thou he abused his power to pressure sex. I think those were really bad things he did & I'm a feminists but I still think he did a lot of good things as president.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 8:54 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Also, to consider whether they have invited that kind of disclosure or shut it down by asserting that "women make a lot of false rape accusations," or whatever the phrase that indicates high levels of doubt on your part.

Just going to repeat myself here: most human beings lie, regardless of gender. The current accusations in Hollywood are being made by both genders. Any gender can be sexually abused by any gender. Any gender can be afraid to speak about it.

Some human beings have a compulsion to seek justice against other human beings who have genuinely wronged them and/or others.

Some human beings have a compulsion to wrongfully defame other human beings for their own egotistical benefit.

I can't pretend to know who is who, but I know all of these people exist, and I don't give them genders.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 12:05 pm

Should you watch work by a person whose actions you find contemptible be it sexual predation, political activism for beliefs you find horrible, or violent criminal behaviors is a tough choice. If I refuse to watch movies by every person whose actions I find contemptible I would rarely watch movies or listen to music for that matter.

There have been things creative people have done that I found so egregious I feel I have to boycott them.

What about a movie on TV? The person has already gotten paid for it, me boycotting does nothing but make me feel good while causing me to miss good art or good entertainment.

I like chase movies, should I boycott "Baby Driver" because Kevin Spacey is in it? If I boycott the movie I am boycotting other innocent actors. Same idea with a sports team many of them who have known wife beaters on them.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman