Page 5 of 39 [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 39  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 12:50 am

^^^ :idea: if they could do it for "the handmaid's tale" and "the man in the high castle," Ellison should be next on the list, I wonder why more of his stuff hasn't been made into visual entertainment?

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 6:33 am

I'm Starting a Star Trek Marathon. I am going to Watch the Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager, in that order. Thanks to my local library, I can. I never really paid attention to them before, just the movies, but now I will. I am nearing completion of Season 1 one the Original and I am already hooked.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 6:49 am

I should watch "city on the edge of forever" again."

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 5:25 pm

Out of the reboot films so far (and I'm probably in the minority on this), Star Trek Beyond was very much a great improvement over Star Trek Into Darkness which IMO, was just a rehash of The Wrath Of Khan despite great cast performances.

Even though Benedict Cumberbatch was terrific as Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness, nobody IMO will ever be as good as Ricardo Montalban.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 6:02 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^ :idea: if they could do it for "the handmaid's tale" and "the man in the high castle," Ellison should be next on the list, I wonder why more of his stuff hasn't been made into visual entertainment?

I think that some of his best, like I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream would be really difficult to portray on the screen, so that's part of the reason. But I suspect that Hollywood's formulaic and profit-centered approach to film/TV is probably an even bigger factor. There's a wealth of unused material out there.

Here's a thought concerning the original City as envisioned by Ellison, maybe a fan-based treatment along the lines of Star Trek Continues could work.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 10:20 pm

thoughtbeast wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I think that some of his best, like I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream would be really difficult to portray on the screen, so that's part of the reason. But I suspect that Hollywood's formulaic and profit-centered approach to film/TV is probably an even bigger factor. There's a wealth of unused material out there.

Here's a thought concerning the original City as envisioned by Ellison, maybe a fan-based treatment along the lines of Star Trek Continues could work.

hopefully his heirs are not as mercenary as he was regarding appropriation of his work. he would definitely have frowned on fans doing any such thing.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 12:16 am

Another "Short Trek" has appeared:

There Are Four Lights!

EventualZen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Nov 2018, 9:45 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
I'm Starting a Star Trek Marathon. I am going to Watch the Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager...

I'm watching TOS and DS9, would you care to rate out of 10 and discuss each episode with me?

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 5:27 am

EventualZen wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:
I'm Starting a Star Trek Marathon. I am going to Watch the Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager...

I'm watching TOS and DS9, would you care to rate out of 10 and discuss each episode with me?

I'll try, but so far I just finished Season 1 of TOS. They introduce everybody, except for Chekov, and I'm already hooked. The usual early installment weirdness is seen. I heard Trelene is a part of 'Q' Continuum. Of course, a highlight is Khan and Space Seed.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 11:57 am

KyleTheGhost wrote:
I'll try, but so far I just finished Season 1 of TOS. They introduce everybody, except for Chekov...

As I recall, Chekov was supposedly introduced for two reasons: complaints that this shameful Cold-War American propaganda had excluded the great Russian people and their space program; and also that they show needed another character to appeal to potential girl viewers, so they introduced Chekov whose appearance was based on the then-popular Monkees. :mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 10:10 pm

Time to put my Christmas decorations up.

There Are Four Lights!

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 10:01 am

If Nero's Future MINING SHIP Was powerful enough to destroy several Federation Starships, then what are the WARSHIPS from his time like??? 8O

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 5:21 pm

Chekov worked the night shift during season one. That's why none of us ever saw him, but Khan remembered him.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Dec 2018, 8:31 pm

About half a year ago I bought a shell casing of a Vulcan Cannon Round. They were used in military fighter jets. I'm wondering if the Vulcan Cannon Round came out before Star Trek or after & I'm wondering if the name Vulcan inspired the other thing or if they both use the word Vulcan cuz of coincidence. I'm hoping someone might know something or do some research for me :lol:
Here's a pic of what the shell casing I bought looks like. I found this pic on the net so it's not my hand holding it :arrow:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 1:39 am

My grandfather operated a vulcan cannon in Vietnam. From a c-130 airplane. The nickname for those planes was puff the magic dragon, because of the tracers and smoke the cannons produced.

Anyways, Vulcan was a Roman god who used a forge. That's where word "volcano" comes from too.

They usually borrowed names in Star Trek, like Romulans (Romans), rather than make them up. Klingons is original though. I think.

Last edited by EzraS on 02 Dec 2018, 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 1:46 am

^ And then there's the Vulcan Hello.

There Are Four Lights!