Page 2 of 39 [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,385
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

08 Jul 2018, 12:32 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I’ve been in the mood to watch episodes of Star Trek The Next Generation.

I find it comforting.


Generally I think TNG is the jewel in the ST crown. The best of the series that was everything ST should be and nothing that it shouldn't (DS9 was plenty that it shouldn't--I call it geopolitical Trek).

But it had its turkeys. Eps like the Royale, Skin of Evil, Code of Honor...

One thing that always bothered me was Geordis relationship status. Here you had a guy who was kind, nice, and for 6 seasons chief engineer of the flagship. And Data, the emotionless android; and Worf, the walking frown Klingon, had more luck with women then he did!


I know! Geordi would’ve been a great catch!

I actually had a crush on the actor when I was little. I loved TNG and Reading Rainbow.


Another thing that bothers me about TNG: Riker should have been Captain of his own ship by early Season 4, and Data probably by the middle of Season 7 or so. Their talents were WASTED and its absurd that the two of them would receive no promotions in SEVEN YEARS.


That’s true.

They were probably worried that fans wouldn’t like things to be switched up. The dynamic between the actors was pretty great.

I was happy when Dr. Crusher came back. I didn’t like Pulaski nearly as much.

I guess I don’t like change.


I thought in one episode Riker did get the opportunity to get his own ship but he rejected it to stay where he was or something. I may be mistaking but I thought he did get a chance for that and then rejected it.


_________________
We won't go back.


Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Oct 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,592

08 Jul 2018, 12:43 am

I have watched a few of the series but think its overrated. I feel like the characters lack depth and its Utopian view of humanity and the future is kind of annoying.

I much prefer Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, Farscape, Killjoys, Dark Matter, The Expanse, Andromeda and Babylon 5.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,385
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

08 Jul 2018, 12:58 am

Daniel89 wrote:
I have watched a few of the series but think its overrated. I feel like the characters lack depth and its Utopian view of humanity and the future is kind of annoying.

I much prefer Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, Farscape, Killjoys, Dark Matter, The Expanse, Andromeda and Babylon 5.


Well I really like next generation and deep space nine, I watched battlestar galactica and second time watching it with my boyfriend we just wanted it to end because all the horrible characters but couldn't stop watching it till it did end. Never watched stargate, I think I saw a couple episodes of farscape, did not watch dark matter. But currently I am watching The Expanse and that one is good except two seasons are free on amazon prime but the third season is like 30 dollars to purchase. Don't know what I am going to do because I want to see it all not just stop at season 2. And I have not watched Andromeda or babylon 5.


_________________
We won't go back.


Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Oct 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,592

08 Jul 2018, 1:07 am

I love the fact that the Characters are flawed in Battelstar Galactica it makes it more realistic both sides have legitimate grievances and see each other as the bad guy, the cast actually gave a speech at the UN.

I watch everything online for free.



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,332
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Jul 2018, 10:29 am

I seen all the series including the animated TOS series except for the new series Discovery & they're all good. I haven't seen the last two movies they made either, Beyond & Into Darkness. Those movies & the one they made before that are kind of like if Star Trek was in an alternate dimension. Things aren't the same in those movies as they're supposed to be in the TOS series. I'm NOT saying the 1st movie wasn't good but it's frustrating when you compare it to the TOS series so you have to not think about it too much. I have all this stuff on my comp including the non cannon Of God's & Men except for Discovery which I'm DLing now; I had looked for the complete season a while ago but couldn't find it as a set & I just looked again & found it. Anyways I should get around to watching the rest of this stuff one of these days. Me & my girlfriend do watch Next Generation on BBC abit & we do watch Voyager alittle & we started watching Deep Space 9 on Amazon Prime.


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Jan 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 899

08 Jul 2018, 11:07 am

nick007 wrote:
I seen all the series including the animated TOS series except for the new series Discovery & they're all good. I haven't seen the last two movies they made either, Beyond & Into Darkness. Those movies & the one they made before that are kind of like if Star Trek was in an alternate dimension. Things aren't the same in those movies as they're supposed to be in the TOS series. I'm NOT saying the 1st movie wasn't good but it's frustrating when you compare it to the TOS series so you have to not think about it too much. I have all this stuff on my comp including the non cannon Of God's & Men except for Discovery which I'm DLing now; I had looked for the complete season a while ago but couldn't find it as a set & I just looked again & found it. Anyways I should get around to watching the rest of this stuff one of these days. Me & my girlfriend do watch Next Generation on BBC abit & we do watch Voyager alittle & we started watching Deep Space 9 on Amazon Prime.


Star Trek The Motion Picture wasn't good at all. In fact, some call it ST The Motion Sickness. What saved this franchise was ST2 The Wrath of Khan, which Roddenbury hated.

ST is a brilliant creation that was successful in spite of, and not because of, its creator. Next Gen didn't really take off until after his death, when Bermen and Bragga really took hand of the reigns. And just look at everything Gene tried between TOS and TNG--all of it was awful.


_________________
"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado


RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Jan 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 899

08 Jul 2018, 11:10 am

Fnord wrote:
Many years ago (c.1970s), I attended a mini-con at a local university. The only actors from ST:TOS who weren't there were Misters Nimoy, Koenig, and Takei. Ms. Nichols looked awesome in a tailored all-white outfit, even more so up close.

I spoke with Mr. Roddenberry for a few minutes and tried to pitch my idea for a new series, based on a smaller vessel, and with a crew filled with second-choices and slackers. Their mission was to patrol the "space lanes" to render assistance and intervene if needed -- "Cops and Docs In Space".

Mr. Roddenberry responded as you would expect: a nod, a smile, and a "send a letter to my people".

I sent the letter and got back the standard fan-pack, with photos, news blurbs, and other form-letter stuff.

A couple of decades later, I saw the first few episodes of Voyager. Somehow, it all looked familiar...


I'm pretty sure Gene was dead by the time Voyager was in production, and that it was B&B who made it happen. Even if not, I think its a stretch to claim that the idea was stolden from you.


_________________
"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado


RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Jan 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 899

08 Jul 2018, 11:15 am

Daniel89 wrote:
I love the fact that the Characters are flawed in Battelstar Galactica it makes it more realistic both sides have legitimate grievances and see each other as the bad guy, the cast actually gave a speech at the UN.

I watch everything online for free.


I agree with what you say, but Next Generation is like comfort food for my brain. The crew really worked together, and you have to understand the era in which TNG existed. It wasn't like now, where you have all those other great sci fi shows like Supernatural, BSG, Revised Doctor Who, etc.

In the 80s, Star Trek The Next Generation was the biggest and best show of its kind, nothing really compared with it. Doctor Who was into the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy eras--ie well into the decline of the shows original run. In spite of how popular it is now, back then the BBC saw it almost as an embarrassment and something they wanted to get rid of.

I still remember setting aside the time for watching another adventure Captain Picard and his crew. in an era with no DVDs or TVO or anything like that. You either saw it or you didn't, and I made sure I always did.


_________________
"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado


RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Jan 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 899

08 Jul 2018, 11:18 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I’ve been in the mood to watch episodes of Star Trek The Next Generation.

I find it comforting.


Generally I think TNG is the jewel in the ST crown. The best of the series that was everything ST should be and nothing that it shouldn't (DS9 was plenty that it shouldn't--I call it geopolitical Trek).

But it had its turkeys. Eps like the Royale, Skin of Evil, Code of Honor...

One thing that always bothered me was Geordis relationship status. Here you had a guy who was kind, nice, and for 6 seasons chief engineer of the flagship. And Data, the emotionless android; and Worf, the walking frown Klingon, had more luck with women then he did!


I know! Geordi would’ve been a great catch!

I actually had a crush on the actor when I was little. I loved TNG and Reading Rainbow.


Another thing that bothers me about TNG: Riker should have been Captain of his own ship by early Season 4, and Data probably by the middle of Season 7 or so. Their talents were WASTED and its absurd that the two of them would receive no promotions in SEVEN YEARS.


That’s true.

They were probably worried that fans wouldn’t like things to be switched up. The dynamic between the actors was pretty great.

I was happy when Dr. Crusher came back. I didn’t like Pulaski nearly as much.

I guess I don’t like change.


I thought in one episode Riker did get the opportunity to get his own ship but he rejected it to stay where he was or something. I may be mistaking but I thought he did get a chance for that and then rejected it.


He was offered his own ship after the Borg invasion. Its insanity that he didn't take it IMO.

Another thing that bugs me is Worf asking Picard to be his Chatech. I mean, he can pick anybody on the ship, and he picks the old bald guy? And Starfleet was OK with this??? Hes a Captain FFS!! !! !


_________________
"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado


nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,332
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Jul 2018, 11:29 am

RainbowUnion wrote:
And just look at everything Gene tried between TOS and TNG--all of it was awful.
What things did Gene try :?:

RainbowUnion wrote:
Another thing that bugs me is Worf asking Picard to be his Chatech. I mean, he can pick anybody on the ship, and he picks the old bald guy? And Starfleet was OK with this??? Hes a Captain FFS!! ! ! !
Worf picked Picard because Picard is a great diplomat. He would of been a great ambassador which he was in the last episode when Q brought him into the future.


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Jan 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 899

08 Jul 2018, 11:35 am

nick007 wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
And just look at everything Gene tried between TOS and TNG--all of it was awful.
What things did Gene try :?:

RainbowUnion wrote:
Another thing that bugs me is Worf asking Picard to be his Chatech. I mean, he can pick anybody on the ship, and he picks the old bald guy? And Starfleet was OK with this??? Hes a Captain FFS!! ! ! !
Worf picked Picard because Picard is a great diplomat. He would of been a great ambassador which he was in the last episode when Q brought him into the future.


A Chatech is a fighter. That's what they do. It made no sense to pick Picard and Starfleet should have said no to this.


_________________
"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado


RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Jan 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 899

08 Jul 2018, 12:06 pm

Another thing that bugged me was how Picard was written, specifically the fact that the writers got the fact that Picard the character was French mixed up with the fact that Patrick Steward the actor was English. Tea, Earl Grey, hot indeed.

I don't think any self respecting Frenchman would take comfort in Lord Admiral Nelsons victory over the combined French and Spanish Naval forces the way Picard did in the ep Best of Both Worlds right before engaging the Borg.


_________________
"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado


Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,030
Location: New England

08 Jul 2018, 1:36 pm

Grand Musick.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ7zOFn0QYQ


_________________
 
There Are Four Lights!


MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 May 2007
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,187
Location: Chatham

10 Jul 2018, 1:55 pm

Does anyone remember Star Trek The Adventure? It was something they had at Universal Studios where you dress up in Star Trek costumes and act in a mini movie set in the late 23rd century. When you watch the playback it sees you interacting with the Original Series (Movie Era) Crew. That was how I was introduced to Star Trek.

I watch Star Trek everyday on Netflix at the moment I watch Star Trek The Next Generation. I also play Star Trek Online everyday as well.

What do anyone think of Star Trek Discovery?



RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Jan 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 899

10 Jul 2018, 5:25 pm

MrMacPhisto wrote:
Does anyone remember Star Trek The Adventure? It was something they had at Universal Studios where you dress up in Star Trek costumes and act in a mini movie set in the late 23rd century. When you watch the playback it sees you interacting with the Original Series (Movie Era) Crew. That was how I was introduced to Star Trek.

I watch Star Trek everyday on Netflix at the moment I watch Star Trek The Next Generation. I also play Star Trek Online everyday as well.

What do anyone think of Star Trek Discovery?


I havnt seen STD yet, but the ship is ugly, as well as rejected concept art from Star Trek Phase 2. Also from the few screen shots I've seen it looks like their tech is 100 years ahead of TNG and not a few years before TOS. Oh and did the Klingons need another makeover?


_________________
"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado


SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,418
Location: Michigan

10 Jul 2018, 6:13 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I’ve been in the mood to watch episodes of Star Trek The Next Generation.

I find it comforting.

I saw some of the cartoon of Star Trek, and a little bit of ToS when I was little, but other than that, I was never really into Star Trek at all.

Years ago, I think when I was between jobs, they would show TNG on UPN I think, late at night, and I started watching it before bed (4AM), and I was really starting to enjoy it.

Started watching ToS a few years back on Netflix, but I always get distracted by the amount of shows they have (and what I've got on DVD), and I start getting into some other show...and then that show gets swapped for something else...etc. etc.

There are so many shows I would like to catch up on, but it was so much easier back when we had TV, and you were basically "force fed" (figuratively speaking) whatever was on at that time. And most shows intentionally avoided continuity, so if you missed episodes, it didn't really matter.

RainbowUnion wrote:
ST is a brilliant creation that was successful in spite of, and not because of, its creator.

Sounds like Gary Gygax and Dungeons & Dragons... :oops:

I love the man, but he definitely had a lot of big ideas, and a lot of "feature creep", and (from what I've read) not a lot of people to tell him to keep things concise, or keep things in order. Later in his life, when he would DM, he would return to those original three Little Brown Books. Simplicity.


_________________
he had a lot to say, he had a lot of nothing to say
we'll miss him