Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2018, 2:23 pm

I'm looking for some good anime to watch. So let's get this out of the way first...

Animes I like:
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (love unconditionally!)
- D. Gray Man (just started this but I like it so far)
- Blue Exorcist (kinda meh but it kept my attention)
- My Hero Academia (still on the fence. enjoying it so far but hoping Deku stops being so annoying)

Animes I *don't* like:
- Naruto (because Naruto)
- Bleach (tries way too hard to be edgy)
- Tokyo Ghoul (same)
- Sword Art Online (awesome concept ruined by incompetent writing)
- Fairytail (tries to be both funny and serious. changes in tone too jarring)

So based on my likes an dislikes can you recommend any good ones? I'll also say that I don't really like Attack on Titan or Death Note but I'll still agree that they're really good. Just not my thing.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 2:57 pm

You seem to like action stuff so ill stick to that

Steins;Gate - thriller involving conspiracies and time travel

Code Geass - about a war between Japan and its colonial occupiers and a guy who gets mind control powers

Death Note - about a guy who gets a notebook that can kill people

Madoka Magica - about magical girls

Shin Sekai Yori - about how society continues when espers appear in the population

Fate/Stay Night/UBW/Zero - about a battle royale between mages for a powerful relic

Last edited by Enigmatic_Oddity on 16 Jan 2018, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2018, 3:01 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Fate/Stay Night/UBW/Zero - about a battle royale between mages for a powerful relic

I tried to watch Fate/Stay Night but the characters were too boring. I heard one of its sequels/prequels was better though. What do you think?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 4:31 pm

Like or dislike, you seem kind of most effected or watched the same sort shounen stuff. So maybe I will try and recommend you some things outside of the type you seem to have watched.

Konosuba perhaps, it is a parody of many of the power fantasy shows.

Full Metal Panic, what I would consider a relatively popular mecha, that I don't think tries to be too edgy, changes tones too much, or too bad writing.

Toradora. A funny romantic comedy, I see that you don't have any listed as like or dislike, and this is a pretty popular one that you might like.

Haikyuu!!, the volleyball anime. But seriously, I don't really like any sports anime, but this show is pretty exciting, I certainly recmoend it to those who like high energy shows that have a good grasp excitement, action, and character. Actually might surprise how similar it is to Hero Academia.

No Game, No Life, a different kind of power fantasy anime, with a focus more on strategy, with some pretty fun characters, and I guess geeky parts with the game theme.

Even if they might not look like your thing at first, I recommend to give some things a try.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 5:00 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:

I tried to watch Fate/Stay Night but the characters were too boring. I heard one of its sequels/prequels was better though. What do you think?

Actually Fate Stay Night is the one anime I listed I haven't actually watched - I've seen all the other series and loved UBW and Zero, but skipped the original FSN because I heard it wasn't that great. I feel like it is worth seeing before the better series though. I was able to skip it because I'm already familiar with the source material.

This is myanimelist, which may interest you because we have some of the same likes and dislikes https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Primate541?status=7

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2018, 5:08 pm

There are three that I see people talking about a lot: "Gurren Lagan" (spelling?) "Psycho Pass" and "Kill la Kill." Anyone know anything about those three?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 5:42 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
There are three that I see people talking about a lot: "Gurren Lagan" (spelling?) "Psycho Pass" and "Kill la Kill." Anyone know anything about those three?

I am a big fan of Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill, I do highly recommend them. Kill la Kill is part of a line of things from an anime studio called Trigger, which was made by people who came off of Gurren Lagann, and have this very high energy way of doing things. So I recommend Gurren Lagann for its mecha side too, good way to also be introduced to the way it does things, and then after that there is the Trigger line of Kill la Kill, Inferno Cop, Little Witch Academia, Space Patrol Luluco, Kiznaiver, and there is the current airing Darling in the FranXX, which only just had its first episode. The animation of those shows may seem odd at first, like there might be a lack of it, and do crazy things like shifting of character sizes, but it is a fun and cool way of animation when you get used to it.

Psycho Pass could possibly fall into what you said about being edgy. It gets pretty dark, I kind of just personally had a bit of a weak stomach for parts.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2018, 7:59 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
FunkyPunky wrote:

I am a big fan of Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill, I do highly recommend them. Kill la Kill is part of a line of things from an anime studio called Trigger, which was made by people who came off of Gurren Lagann, and have this very high energy way of doing things. So I recommend Gurren Lagann for its mecha side too, good way to also be introduced to the way it does things, and then after that there is the Trigger line of Kill la Kill, Inferno Cop, Little Witch Academia, Space Patrol Luluco, Kiznaiver, and there is the current airing Darling in the FranXX, which only just had its first episode. The animation of those shows may seem odd at first, like there might be a lack of it, and do crazy things like shifting of character sizes, but it is a fun and cool way of animation when you get used to it.

Psycho Pass could possibly fall into what you said about being edgy. It gets pretty dark, I kind of just personally had a bit of a weak stomach for parts.

I'm okay with edginess. What I'm not okay with is FAILED edginess like in Bleach and Tokyo Ghoul.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2018, 10:52 pm

Made in Abyss is a great recent fantasy series I would highly recommend giving a shot. It's definitely dark, but in a way that enhances its storytelling rather than to be "edgy."

Nordperger
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2018, 9:43 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
I'm looking for some good anime to watch. So let's get this out of the way first...

Animes I like:
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (love unconditionally!)
- D. Gray Man (just started this but I like it so far)
- Blue Exorcist (kinda meh but it kept my attention)
- My Hero Academia (still on the fence. enjoying it so far but hoping Deku stops being so annoying)

Animes I *don't* like:
- Naruto (because Naruto)
- Bleach (tries way too hard to be edgy)
- Tokyo Ghoul (same)
- Sword Art Online (awesome concept ruined by incompetent writing)
- Fairytail (tries to be both funny and serious. changes in tone too jarring)

So based on my likes an dislikes can you recommend any good ones? I'll also say that I don't really like Attack on Titan or Death Note but I'll still agree that they're really good. Just not my thing.

Neon Genesis Evangelion. If you can get past the angsty protagonist, it's a really awesome anime. The symbolical references are all over the place. Might be edgy though, idk it's 15 years since I last watched it.

Btw, I agree with you on Fullmetal Alchemist being an unconditionally awesome anime: A good friend of mine happened to surprise visit me one evening back in high school when I had just started to follow Fullmetal Alchemist, around 10 years ago.

"What the- is this some anime cr*p you're watching here?" (my friend was unfamiliar with animes and only had the close minded stereotypes about them to accompany his belief systems.)

"Hi! It's good that you're here. Come, join me and watch if for this one episode... :wink: "

Haha! He ended up coming to me every week to watch the next episode together until the very end of the series :lol:
Those were the times.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 11:26 am

My favorite anime/manga franchise of all time is Hellsing. However, there are two separate anime adaptations with differences in storyline, tone and characterizations.

I personally recommend the Hellsing TV series, because even though the storyline isn't canon, it has a much more consistent tone and characterization, and if memory serves me correctly I don't think it's nearly as edgy as the Hellsing Ultimate Series (probably because Ultimate was direct-to-DVD and they went pretty crazy in the blood/gore department)

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2018, 4:32 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
My favorite anime/manga franchise of all time is Hellsing. However, there are two separate anime adaptations with differences in storyline, tone and characterizations.

Kinda like FMA then. I think that's on Hulu. I'll check it out.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 8:39 pm

Perfect Hair Forever :lol:

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 10:58 am

Galaxy Express 999 - About a boy named Tetsuro Hoshino, who travels the universe in search of a free mechanical body (which allows one to live for over 1,000-2,000 years).

Cutey Honey - About a female android, named Honey Kisaragi, whose main objective is to destroy the Panther Claw, a criminal organization led by the main antagonist, Sister Jill.

Girls Bravo - An anime about a boy named Yukinari Sasaki, who develops a fear for girls at a young age (due to them bullying him for his short height) and also an allergic reaction which makes it very hard to stay around them.

Ranma 1/2 - About a boy named Ranma Saotome, who falls into a cursed spring, which causes him to turn into a girl when doused with cold water, and into a boy with hot water.

Sailor Moon - A magical girl anime about a girl named Usagi Tsukino, who, after rescuing a cat named Luna, later turns into a Sailor Guardian, from a brooch given to her by Luna, and starts a long series of adventures...

Candy Candy - A coming of age anime that starts off in the beginning of the 20th century, when an abandoned orphan named Candy is taken in by the orphanage Pony's Home near Lake Michigan, and later on, begins a long journey for Candy...

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on February 7, 2018)

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2018, 4:01 pm

not strictly shonen but some good suggestions are:

Welcome to the NHK - about a hikikomori guy / weirdly comedic

Comboy Bepop - my fave anime and the soundtrack is SICK (yoko kanno)

Captain Harlock - old school / space pirate / trippy at times / cool old anime art

surely, you've seen Neon Genesis Evangelion? I'll add it just in case

ps you don't like Death Note???? why ???? 8O

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2018, 8:04 pm

I would recommend you watch Erased. I watched the entire series with my dad in one night, it was really good. And if you like movies, Koe no Katachi was really good as well.