Is it a good idea to keep movies on bluray/dvd?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 5:51 pm

DeepHour wrote:
I've never actually come across an instance of a new dvd being scratched, but I've bought a lot of secondhand ones and never cease to be amazed at the appallingly scratched state a lot of them are in. How on earth do people let them get like that - surely the average dvd spends pretty much the whole of its existence either inside its case or in the dvd player (or computer, I suppose)?

I've had the same experience and I wonder the same thing. The ones I've bought as new are still unscratched...

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 5:56 pm

I always have the worst luck with DVDs. :(

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2019, 10:20 am

I'd say so. You'll never know when the streaming servers will shut down, or when your favorite movies will be taken offline. Hard copies are the best thing you can have, so long as they don't rely on access to a network connection. If they do, then you better have some way to crack the DRM.

Rad Rockit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2019, 7:29 pm

I don't think dvds or blu rays will ever truly die out, but they might not be making the players anymore simply because you can use pretty much any game console to play them. Of course the players are cheaper, and it is a bit presumptious that everyone would have a console, but that is probably why they're doing it. Personally I prefer dvds, at least for movies, tv shows can be a pain when it comes to disc.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 7:41 pm

Rad Rockit wrote:
I don't think dvds or blu rays will ever truly die out, but they might not be making the players anymore simply because you can use pretty much any game console to play them. Of course the players are cheaper, and it is a bit presumptious that everyone would have a console, but that is probably why they're doing it. Personally I prefer dvds, at least for movies, tv shows can be a pain when it comes to disc.

Never say that physical copies of anything will never die out.
I think the streaming snobs are a little callous.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 2:14 am

When 4k disks become less expensive the others won't be made as much. That is what we are moving to. 4K. Don't know anyone who seriously watches movies they have streamed. Expensive crap.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 2:32 pm

thewrll wrote:
When 4k disks become less expensive the others won't be made as much. That is what we are moving to. 4K. Don't know anyone who seriously watches movies they have streamed. Expensive crap.

I think we're moving away from physical media all together.

It's still nice to have a hard copy. Especially with TV shows. You can pick and chose which episode to watch when you feel like it. Like with the Simpsons DVD set. Some of those episodes are being removed from streaming, but they're still there on the DVD.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2019, 11:57 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
thewrll wrote:

It's still nice to have a hard copy. Especially with TV shows. You can pick and chose which episode to watch when you feel like it. Like with the Simpsons DVD set. Some of those episodes are being removed from streaming, but they're still there on the DVD.

Don't buy this at all.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 4:56 am

thewrll wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
thewrll wrote:

Don't buy this at all.

You don't buy that it's nice to have a physical hard copy, especially if content is pulled from streaming?

Or you don't buy that we seem to be moving away from physical media?

Explain.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 7:17 pm

Maybe it would be better to switch to streaming... in a way it's cheaper and more convient. Probably less harmful to the planet too if they do away with wasted discs.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2019, 8:51 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
thewrll wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
thewrll wrote:

Don't buy this at all.

You don't buy that it's nice to have a physical hard copy, especially if content is pulled from streaming?

Or you don't buy that we seem to be moving away from physical media?

Explain.

Switch from streaming. Just like vinyl making a resurgence, I don't see physical media being taken over by streaming/purchased movies. Total waste of money. I can still get a blu-ray with hours of bonus features. Can't get that through comcast or any of the other crap services selling that junk.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 12:11 am

DeepHour wrote:
I've never actually come across an instance of a new dvd being scratched, but I've bought a lot of secondhand ones and never cease to be amazed at the appallingly scratched state a lot of them are in. How on earth do people let them get like that - surely the average dvd spends pretty much the whole of its existence either inside its case or in the dvd player (or computer, I suppose)?

That is why I was very surprised when I found a copy of the extended version of Lord of The Rings, Fellowship of The Ring at goodwill in perfect condition, I mean the case was a little scuffed but the DVDs were completely non scratched, that was a good find.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 7:49 am

Every time I get a DVD the center ring chips away over time from being taken out of the case. :(

I prefer bluray now because the cases are designed better and the discs themselves dont scratch easily. :)

Too bad so many of my favorite movies are probably never going to make it to bluray becausr of streaming...

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 2:44 pm

I might save up for an Amazon Firestick so I can stream Netflix, Hulu, TubiTV, and Pluto TV :chin:

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2019, 11:56 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
I might save up for an Amazon Firestick so I can stream Netflix, Hulu, TubiTV, and Pluto TV :chin:

I would recommend roku over amazon.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 12:52 am

I was thinking about this the other day when I saw a film I have on DVD listed on Netflix, but then if my internet is down on a day I'm not well and just want something to watch, I can put a DVD on. I don't pay tv licence, so can't watch live tv... I don't even have tv now.