Horror movies these days are not very scary

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 3:19 pm

OK, I can't speak for ALL new horror movies, but whenever I buy a modern horror movie, I always end up disappointed and totally not creeped out at all.

They seem to involve lots of jumpscares, which I find annoying more than scary.
And there are too many scenes with that music that makes you think something scary is coming but then nothing happens. You might see something creepy for a quick second, or something scary is about to happen, like a shadow getting bigger on a wall, then suddenly a character wakes up, meaning the near scary bit was just a dream. So it's like nothing scary really happens throughout the movie.

I find the older horror movies creepier, like Stephen King's The Shining. The plot is excellent, scary stuff actually happen, and the whole setting of the hotel gives you the creeps. That is what I expect from a horror movie.

Anyone else feel the same about some of the new horror movies? Too predictable and not creepy enough?

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 3:36 pm

That's precisely why I love horror movies. They're NOT scary, and the cheesiness of them helps distract me from the real horrors of this world like war, crime, and disease

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 3:39 pm

I agree they aren't scary. Most of them rely on computerised special effects and the writing is so lame, I don't feel anticipation or dread. A true horror film should be psychological rather than a bunch of animated monsters.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 3:42 pm

I prefer psychological or ghost ones too but i'm such a scaredy cat i get scared at even the really bad ones.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 3:57 pm

Joe90 wrote:

Anyone else feel the same about some of the new horror movies? Too predictable and not creepy enough?

Yes, especially American/mainstream ones.

These days I prefer Asian or European horror.

IsabellaLinton wrote:
A true horror film should be psychological rather than a bunch of animated monsters.

Also this.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 4:10 pm

I like old zombie movies like anything by George Romero before he made Land of the Dead and that garbage after it. I also love those cheesy Italian zombie movies like Zombie and Hell of the Living Dead.

Old Stephen King horror movies like Carrie, The Shining, and Children of the Corn are a winner for me.

Japanese horror movies Ju On and Ju On 2.

Jeepers Creepers is good and it was filmed in Georgia in a town not far from where I lived.

Pumpkinhead was good too.

I aldo like black and white classics like Night of tje Living Dead, Carnival of Souls, Nosferatu, Psycho, and House on Haunted Hill.

But every true horror classic tends to get ruined by crappy sequels and remakes. :|

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 4:12 pm

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
I like old zombie movies like anything by George Romero before he made Land of the Dead and that garbage after it. I also love those cheesy Italian zombie movies like Zombie and Hell of the Living Dead.

Old Stephen King horror movies like Carrie, The Shining, and Children of the Corn are a winner for me.

Japanese horror movies Ju On and Ju On 2.

Jeepers Creepers is good and it was filmed in Georgia in a town not far from where I lived.

Pumpkinhead was good too.

I aldo like black and white classics like Night of tje Living Dead, Carnival of Souls, Nosferatu, Psycho, and House on Haunted Hill.

But every true horror classic tends to get ruined by crappy sequels and remakes. :|

The only ones I've seen from that list are the Stephen King films and Psycho. I haven't seen much of anything in the past 30 years or so.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 4:22 pm

Carrie is a brilliant movie, but it made me feel more emotional than scared. But the plot is still really good and is a good excuse for a horror movie. The only bit I found a bit disturbing was at the end, where it said "Carrie White burns in hell" on her grave (or something like that). It made me feel like everybody hated her so much that they hoped she was being punished for all of eternity.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 4:40 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Carrie is a brilliant movie, but it made me feel more emotional than scared. But the plot is still really good and is a good excuse for a horror movie. The only bit I found a bit disturbing was at the end, where it said "Carrie White burns in hell" on her grave (or something like that). It made me feel like everybody hated her so much that they hoped she was being punished for all of eternity.

It was indeed a very sad movie and I loved it.

I felt like that part of the movie served to remind us of the shittiness of human nature and of society as a collective.

The real monsters who deserved to "burn in hell" were the high school kids who bullied her and the mother who abused her all her life, but the people who wrote that cruel grafitti on the sign will never admit that to themselves.

Sue seemed to be the only girl who truly felt guilt about what happened with Carrie. They went into more detail about her feelings of guilt in the book.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 4:45 pm

I can't say much. Everyone thought I was hillarious when I admitted that I watched a horror movie and they asked what it was... It was a film called Jumanji. They thought it wasn't a horror movie but it is. It has all the traits.. It is scarey too.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 4:48 pm

The only horror movie that ever truly scared me was the Final Destination movies. The idea of being stalked by death as an unstoppable force... :|

The tanning bed scene in the third movie still bothers me to this day. :cry:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 5:01 pm

The only horror movie that ever truly scared me was the Final Destination movies. The idea of being stalked by death as an unstoppable force... :|

The tanning bed scene in the third movie still bothers me to this day. :cry:

Cool - I must see those. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 1:29 am

In all honesty, I don't have to be scared out of my seat to enjoy a horror movie. Rather, I expect good writing, good acting, good direction, and a story that's genuinely disturbing or creepy.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 6:22 am

I don't watch them anymore, but The Exorcist gave me tremendous nightmares when I was a kid. I thought that since a perfectly normal girl could become demon possessed there was no reason it couldn't happen to me. I think it was based on true stories.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Jul 2019, 9:56 am

I'm not into this genera much thou I don't watch many movies anyways. I liked some of the classic horror films when I was a kid but I haven't seen any of the more recent horror movies except for The Intruders which was a straight to DVD film that I only watched cuz Miranda Cosgrove was in it :heart: :hic: The newer horror movies don't seem appealing to me probably cuz they almost all have one of the same few plots & lots of the movies are remakes.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 10:56 am

That's precisely why I love horror movies. They're NOT scary, and the cheesiness of them helps distract me from the real horrors of this world like war, crime, and disease

^ This.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)