Page 3 of 14 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 12:56 pm

Tw1ggy wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:

In the video you have shared, the lady resembles Scarlett's behaviour, poise, vibes--if not Scarlett, another character, she would fit in fine in that film as an extra.

Saucy vibes, but polished and gracious (?) too.
en:

Such women here in Georgia are referred to as "Georgia Peaches". :) They tend to be plump and curvy with a pleasant complexion and sassy attitudes yet they are also warm and charming. I've known many women in Georgia who look and act just like this woman from the video. Lol

I love how a type of person is distinctive enough from others...
yet have enough common characteristics themselves...
that they have a name for it. :mrgreen:
I cant think of equivalents..

Maybe 'valley girls' 'cholas' etc? Those aren't intended to be flattering though

Tw1ggy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2020, 1:07 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
Tw1ggy wrote:
blooiejagwa wrote:

In the video you have shared, the lady resembles Scarlett's behaviour, poise, vibes--if not Scarlett, another character, she would fit in fine in that film as an extra.

Saucy vibes, but polished and gracious (?) too.
en:

Such women here in Georgia are referred to as "Georgia Peaches". :) They tend to be plump and curvy with a pleasant complexion and sassy attitudes yet they are also warm and charming. I've known many women in Georgia who look and act just like this woman from the video. Lol

I love how a type of person is distinctive enough from others...
yet have enough common characteristics themselves...
that they have a name for it. :mrgreen:
I cant think of equivalents..

Maybe 'valley girls' 'cholas' etc? Those aren't intended to be flattering though

I think Valley Girls often come across as dim-witted, while Georgia Peaches are only playing the part when it gets them what they want (like Scarlett often did but Rhett always saw right through her unlike those other men). My mom refers to it as being "country sneaky". Lol

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 1:11 pm

Yeah my dad always finds it cute when others do it including little kids....his sisters...
Tv characters etc..

and my mom gets mad ...because she is a total Aspie type and she never gets her way from being straightforward. And is incapable of slyness.

A dollop of charm goes a looooong way. Hence ...everyone adores my XH and he never fails in getting his way including with me.

Tw1ggy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2020, 1:25 pm

I think I'm a mix of charming and straightforward and sometimes I am insufferably batshit insane. :lol:

Also I think one reason people liked Rhett and Scarlett was because despite their serious flaws as human beings they had redeeming qualities too. Rhett truly loved his daughter and was heartbroken when she died, and sociopath or not Scarlett showed that a woman can defend herself and her family during times of war without the help of a man. It's like despite the blatant racism in the movie there was a strong feminist message at least.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 2:11 pm

Well Scarlett wouldnt have been able to do it at that time without a former MALE slave who helped them regularly at that time. Or the other former slaves that she had no isdue mistreating. The credit doesnt go to her alone.

Tw1ggy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2020, 2:26 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
Well Scarlett wouldnt have been able to do it at that time without a former MALE slave who helped them regularly at that time. Or the other former slaves that she had no isdue mistreating. The credit doesnt go to her alone.

But the point is she killed an enemy soldier who most likely would have raped or killed her (as soldiers often do to civilian women during times of war). She wasn't afraid to pick up a gun and defend herself which was a rare thing in movies at that time. The idea that a woman can protect herself from danger. Most leading ladies in movies of that era were depicted as frail damsels always needing a man to protect her. Scarlett was anything but a damsel.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 2:35 pm

Hm true dat. I still think aside from that she could not have got by to the level she did without manipulating mainly men and using their money.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 2:36 pm

If it was a true feminist type of ideal she wouldn't have stolen her sister's beau intentionally (so much for family) for the $$ he would bring her, or talked badly of other women or mistreated them etc.

Tw1ggy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2020, 2:41 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
If it was a true feminist type of ideal she wouldn't have stolen her sister's beau intentionally (so much for family) for the $$ he would bring her, or talked badly of other women or mistreated them etc.

True, but I guess that's what added to the appeal of her character in a way. She had actual flaws as a human being and most people prefer a flawed character over a perfect one.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 2:46 pm

Definitely without Vivien Leigh's skills that wouldnt have come across so well... It would seem like pure just messing with ppl for the sake of it...like sadism...
While Leigh showed... in the way she spoke and acted... the /need to survive at the core of it..

She balanced it the way she showed genuine goodness too which wasn't really in the dialogue .

Tw1ggy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2020, 2:51 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
Definitely without Vivien Leigh's skills that wouldnt have come across so well... It would seem like pure just messing with ppl for the sake of it...like sadism...
While Leigh showed... in the way she spoke and acted... the /need to survive at the core of it..

She balanced it the way she showed genuine goodness too which wasn't really in the dialogue .

She and Clark Gable were very good actors. Even the people who don't like this movie for the same reasons I don't will admit that they had fantastic chemistry together.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 3:01 pm

They made every scene funny, except when the daughter died. Poor Mammy trying to make them come together after that..angel.

Tw1ggy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2020, 3:09 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
They made every scene funny, except when the daughter died. Poor Mammy trying to make them come together after that..angel.

Indeed, and I sympathized with poor Mammy. I was afraid Scarlett would take a bullwhip after her! :|

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 7:33 pm

How do you make a film about the antebellum south and slave owners without racism?

If you find the dated attitudes of older and old films ruins whatever other artistic or entertainment merits of these films for you do not watch any film then is more then a few years old.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tw1ggy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2020, 7:56 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
How do you make a film about the antebellum south and slave owners without racism?

If you find the dated attitudes of older and old films ruins whatever other artistic or entertainment merits of these films for you do not watch any film then is more then a few years old.

By choosing realism over fantasy. Show me how the slaves were ACTUALLY being treated back in those days with the whippings, the lynchings, and the raping of black women by their white masters. We actually have movies set in the south that do show that now you know. But I can imagine such movies 'bother' certain white people because it doesn't show the slaves as being these funny black people who are happy to serve their white masters. :roll:

Tw1ggy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2020, 7:58 pm

Also I will watch whatever movies I want to watch thank you. And criticize them too!