The Phantom Menace vs. Attack of the Clones

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 11:39 am

Which is better, or not the more worse prequel?

I feel that Attack of the Clones is a more necesssary story, in that more of the set up happens, which pays off more later. The dialogue is atrocish though. The Phantom Menace has worse looking special effects, so I might have to given it to to Attack of the Clones apart from the dialogue, but the dialogue tempts me to put it as the worst.

What do you think?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 11:57 am

I think that any episode other than "A New Hope" is second-rate, at best.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 12:50 pm

Both have bad dialogue. The climax alone makes Attack of the Clones the better movie. It also has less Jar-Jar.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 12:51 pm

Fnord wrote:

Even The Empire Strikes Back?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 2:05 pm

I didn't mind jar jar as much. I would say that Return of the Jedi beats A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back.

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 6:13 pm

I think Attack Of The Clones is better in almost every way. The love scenes are painful to sit through but I find Phantom Menace's politics, trade disputes and slow pace outright boring. By the end of the film I'm simply too bored to even enjoy the lightsabre battle. None of it really feels important to the rest of the saga, Ep 2 doesn't have that problem too much. Neither are really that good at all but if I was to watch all the films Ep 1 is the only one I would probably skip.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2021, 11:54 am

Attack of the Clones edges out Phantom Menace for me.
Attack of the Clones can be cringingly bad, but it can't compare to Phantom Menace.
PM just felt like it was full of unnecessary, unenjoyable sections and subplots. Jar-Jar was unnecessary and obnoxious (and kinda racist). The pod race sequence went on way too long. The dialogue is subpar, though the same could be said for AotC. Anakin is more of a Gary Sue in episode 1 than in 2 for me personally--the 9 year-old should not be able to destroy the entire CIS flagship on his own. The senate scenes are realistically boring. And the whole movie just feels like an over-long, unpolished snoozefest.
AotC is damn flawed but it has more redeeming qualities imo.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Last edited by roronoa79 on 28 Jan 2021, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2021, 11:56 am

Udinaas wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Even The Empire Strikes Back?
Yes, even "The Empire Strikes Back".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2021, 3:26 pm

It’s hard to say. Of all the movies including the Sequel Trilogy and 2 spin offs these 2 would rank at the bottom. Back in the day I did like Clones more but as time went on I did start to like Phantom a little more because I always kinda thought Clones was kinda boring. But I always change my mind a lot. All I know is that these 2 are at the bottom of my list.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 12:21 pm

The Rise of Skywalker is a lot worse than either. It's the stupidest, most derivative, and most rushed, and feels more like a summary of a movie than an actual movie. Like it was just going through the motions. The prequels are very flawed but they're also very creative, and they take risks, and have actual passion behind them.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 6:11 pm

I've watched "Attack of the Clones" more often than "Phantom Menace", and "Revenge of the Sith" more than either of them. I like the darker tone of II and III more than the bright-and-breezy Ep I, plus I feel they just got better at making these films as they went along. Yeah, they're still pretty clunky in places, but I can forgive that. Also, I'm a fan of "The Clone Wars," the animated series, which is more connected to the 2nd and 3rd films.

(I was pleasantly surprised by all three prequels when I finally got them on DVD, after years of hearing everyone bang on and on and on and on and on....* about how "they are OBJECTIVELY the worst movies that have EVER been or EVER will be made, and George Lucas is literally worse than HITLER AND STALIN PUT TOGETHER!! !! !" Seriously, the level of frothy-mouthed disproportionate hate and rage coming from some of these so-called "fans" is disgusting. It's a film you didn't like. That happens. Get over it.)

*continued on page 94.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 6:20 pm

One thing that both movies have in common are unnecessary subplots. Episode I has the podrace subplot which just takes up such an unusual mount of time and it feels like Qui-Gon Jinn could have come up with a better plan to get things rolling in his favor than hedge all his bets on a kid winning a race. The subplot was necessary in the sense that he didn't come up with a better plan, in that sense.

Episode II has the uneccessary Jango Fett/Boba Fett subplot which didn't add anything at all, and I felt should have been cut, for such an minimal henchman character, you don't see as much of in the original trilogy.