Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

zee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 3:33 am

iceb wrote:
I'm a bit of a sucker for detectives and I must say Poirot is one of my favorites,

I have just been searching my HD (and failed to find) an essay I wrote called Poirot V Columbo it was about machine resoning proccesses spesificly the diffference between forward and backward reasoning.

Well if you do find it, I would be interested in reading it. :)

Does forward and backward reasoning mean inductive and deductive logic? If so, one can't really get far going forward.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 3:45 am

I like detective shows too -- especially British detective shows. I've not read any of the books, but seen the whole series, and I have a copy of "Death on the Nile" on DVD. It's very good and I enjoy the most recent series.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 3:48 am

ping-machine wrote:
I like detective shows too -- especially British detective shows. I've not read any of the books, but seen the whole series, and I have a copy of "Death on the Nile" on DVD. It's very good and I enjoy the most recent series.

Which version of Death on the Nile do you have-- the recent British one, or the inferior Peter Ustinov 70's one?

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 3:53 am

The '90s one with David Suchet.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 4:09 am

I love that one... the characters are great, and it's quite funny. If you get the chance, watch the older version just to compare... Mia Farrow is extremely annoying and miscast as Jacqueline de Bellefort, but Angela Lansbury is hilarious. :D

There is also a PC game version of the newer movie which I found really fun; you can play one hour free at this site:

http://www.playfirst.com/game/agathachristiedotn

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 12:34 am

...And recently bought "Cards on the Table." So that's two.

And ones I want to get:

"Three Little Pigs"

and the one with Paul McGann in it. (Can't remember the title.)

Miss Marple showing every Sunday evening on ABC TV, which is pretty sweet too.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 4:42 am

ping-machine wrote:
...And recently bought "Cards on the Table." So that's two.

And ones I want to get:

"Three Little Pigs"

and the one with Paul McGann in it. (Can't remember the title.)

Miss Marple showing every Sunday evening on ABC TV, which is pretty sweet too.

Sleeping murder is the McGann one--it's terrible. I wouldn't buy any of the Marples, you won't want to watch them more than once.

Five little Pigs is by far one of the best Poirot stories, though. And the cinematography is really interesting, everything in the present is cold, stark and still, while the past uses warm diffuse colours and kind of a shaky camera movement. The actors are really great too, especially Rachel Stirling who plays Caroline Crale.

What did you think of Cards on the Table?

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 1:45 pm

I love Poirot.

We have an IS guy at work who rather resembles him and so has been dubbed "Poirot" by myself (not that anyone else under 60 gets it).....

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 7:57 am

zee wrote:
Sleeping murder is the McGann one--it's terrible.

Hmm. Just remember I quite enjoyed that one.

zee wrote:
I wouldn't buy any of the Marples, you won't want to watch them more than once.

Agreed. They're good to see one time on the telly. But unless some actor or whatever I really liked was in one (not so far) I'm not going to buy any.

zee wrote:
Five little Pigs is by far one of the best Poirot stories, though. And the cinematography is really interesting, everything in the present is cold, stark and still, while the past uses warm diffuse colours and kind of a shaky camera movement.

"Five". My bad. :oops:
Yeah I agree that was a really good episode. And for some reason it quite sticks in my memory.

zee wrote:

Liked it, lots. The only person I can think of who wasn't good in it was the woman who sold the stockings. (idunno somehow her accent seemed... fake.)
There were times when the sort of "quiet sounds" in the background were a little over-pronounced. ~ not sure whether this was designed to make everything uneasy or whether it's just me being sensitive. Perhaps both.
But I also thought Mr. Siddig off star trek was being a really interesting character in this one too.

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 9:02 am

Huge fan of Poirot here :wink:
I started a thread about him a while back and several other people did too. I love David Suchet's interpretation of Poirot and my favourite episode at the moment is 'ABC Murders'.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 10:09 am

Nico wrote:
Huge fan of Poirot here :wink:
I started a thread about him a while back and several other people did too. I love David Suchet's interpretation of Poirot and my favourite episode at the moment is 'ABC Murders'.

That's a great episode; a really unique storyline. I also like how it was filmed in that dark style, and with all the clips of letters and black and white movies.
And don't forget Cedric, the cayman! I hope they bring Hastings back for future episodes. :)

zee
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 10:18 am

ping-machine wrote:
zee wrote:
Sleeping murder is the McGann one--it's terrible.

Hmm. Just remember I quite enjoyed that one.

zee wrote:
I wouldn't buy any of the Marples, you won't want to watch them more than once.

Agreed. They're good to see one time on the telly. But unless some actor or whatever I really liked was in one (not so far) I'm not going to buy any.

zee wrote:
Five little Pigs is by far one of the best Poirot stories, though. And the cinematography is really interesting, everything in the present is cold, stark and still, while the past uses warm diffuse colours and kind of a shaky camera movement.

"Five". My bad. :oops:
Yeah I agree that was a really good episode. And for some reason it quite sticks in my memory.

zee wrote:

Liked it, lots. The only person I can think of who wasn't good in it was the woman who sold the stockings. (idunno somehow her accent seemed... fake.)
There were times when the sort of "quiet sounds" in the background were a little over-pronounced. ~ not sure whether this was designed to make everything uneasy or whether it's just me being sensitive. Perhaps both.
But I also thought Mr. Siddig off star trek was being a really interesting character in this one too.

What annoys me most about the Marple movies is Geraldine McEwen herself. I mean, I'm not British or anything, but doesn't her voice seem overdone? So annoying! Also, I don't see the point in turning all the stories into gay/incestual issues. It may have been an interesting twist in one of them, but not necessary.

I was not familiar with Siddig before I saw him in Cards, but I really enjoyed his performance as well. His character is the central theme in many ways. I also really liked the eerie music. There was once piece of music that sounded like 'Neptune the mystic', that reflected the themes of world-weariness and "a dive into the infinite".

I think 5 Little Pigs is such a memorable story because of the injustice that takes place.

What did you think of the film version of Roger Ackroyd, compared to the book?

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 4:19 am

zee wrote:
What annoys me most about the Marple movies is Geraldine McEwen herself. I mean, I'm not British or anything, but doesn't her voice seem overdone? So annoying!

Honestly, I couldn't say. Although my parents have a copy of "Barchester Chronicles" from the eighties. (Same production as has Alan Rickman, Nigel Hawthorne, and Donald Pleasance in it.) and Ms. McEwen plays the bishop's wife Mrs Proudie. She overacts a bit in that -- even more than in Miss Marple -- but it turned out so great because that was essential for the character she was playing.

But a lot of the voices in productions of Agatha Christie stuff (especially with the mid twentieth century British high society) turn out a little overdone.

zee wrote:
Also, I don't see the point in turning all the stories into gay/incestual issues. It may have been an interesting twist in one of them, but not necessary.

:lol: well I agree but that would be something to take up with Ms. Christie, if you could.

zee wrote:
I was not familiar with Siddig before I saw him in Cards, but I really enjoyed his performance as well. His character is the central theme in many ways. I also really liked the eerie music. There was once piece of music that sounded like 'Neptune the mystic', that reflected the themes of world-weariness and "a dive into the infinite".

yup. Not to mention the most interesting character in that story even though he essentially has very little screen time.

Are you talking about the opening theme? Really liked that! Also there was quite a large framed photograph on one of the walls which was really interesting and weird.

zee wrote:
I think 5 Little Pigs is such a memorable story because of the injustice that takes place.

...And the split between "past" and "present" makes it interesting too. I thought the flashback scenes especially were very well done.

zee wrote:
What did you think of the film version of Roger Ackroyd, compared to the book?

To be honest. Don't know. Haven't seen / read either.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 7:33 pm

I prefer Morse.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 7:53 pm

Yep, haven't seen his stuff on TV for a while though. :cry: