Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

aguales
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2008, 6:43 pm

Has anyone seen the film The Science of Sleep? And if you have, what'd you think of it?

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 7:30 pm

Worth seeing, if you like visually interesting films. Since Gondry does the writing as well as directing, the plot isn't as well-thought out and the story isn't as meaningful as you'd get from Kaufman. The animation was wonderful to watch, but not much happened beyond 'emotionally-troubled-young-man-meets-slightly-offbeat-girl-and-their-uniqueness-becomes-an-obstacle-to-forming-a-relationship.'

See almost every popular indie film in the last five years for other examples of this.

I don't mean to diss the film- I really did like watching some of those visual sequences. But overall it was just ok for me.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 9:54 pm

I didn't really like it much. It felt like Gondry was using the film as a vehicle for his visual creativity and didn't bother including an interesting script or engaging characters. His two films with Kaufman as scriptwriter were superior, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in particular.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 1:24 am

I really really wanted to love it. I love Michel Gondry's style. I loved the visuals. I loved the concept: a romantic comedy dealing with a schizophrenic man with a brilliant imagination.

But...it disappointed me really, really badly. I got so annoyed with the protagonist. It was so repetitive. Worst of all was the ending.