Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:22 pm

Before you say to watch them on Netflix, I don't have a Netflix account, never have done. I enjoy looking in the DVD store.

I have bought the older horror movies like The Shining, because movies like that are pretty creepy. But modern movies these days just don't have that same effect. It's like the world has gone too soft.

A few weeks ago I bought a DVD, I can't remember what it was called but it was about these possessed children in a school, and it caught my eye because usually children and school buildings are good sources of horror (horror movies with children in seem to be creepier for some reason).
But this movie didn't give me the creeps at all. It felt like the creators of the movie kind of made the plot up as they went along or were low on good storyline ideas.

And that seems to be with the majority of modern horror movies these days. Even the Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark movie wasn't as scary as the books.

In an odd sort of way, I sometimes find children's scary movies more creepier, such as Coraline, because it's all surreal and "uncanny valley".

Does anyone else feel the same way?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 9:10 pm

I also don't have a Netflix account and have no plans to purchase one.

So, you are not the only one.

It: Chapter One is a great horror movie to watch if you are looking for something creepy to enjoy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:03 am

I don't get Netflix, but even as a horror fan, some - - no, many - - horror films today are nothing to write home about. That's why I prefer written horror fiction. Still, not everything is a waste.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 2:03 am

Joe90 wrote:
I have bought the older horror movies like The Shining, because movies like that are pretty creepy. But modern movies these days just don't have that same effect. It's like the world has gone too soft.

Well then you wouldn't like Netflix anyway, because they focus more on modern and often low-budget horror movies.
I don't know if they have Shudder in the UK, but it's a service that focuses solely on horror. I don't remember how good their selection was, though.
I've found plenty of classic horrors on free services like Pluto, Tubi, and Plex.

But for stuff that I like to watch on a regular basis, I'd much rather have it on DVD/BD, instead of crossing my fingers and hoping someone has it online.
Some of the out-of-print stuff is really expensive, though >_<

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 5:38 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Some of the out-of-print stuff is really expensive, though >_<

Not all of them, mind you with three examples.

Dracula (Spanish-language 1931 film):
This production used the same sets as Tod Browning's film. A print was discovered in the 1970s.

The Intruder (1975 film directed by Chris Robinson):
The original negatives were destroyed by the distribution company.
A print was discovered in 2012 with a Blu-Ray released in 2017.

Blood Circus (1985 horror film):
A print was discovered in 2008 and a release since then has been sought by its producers.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 9:39 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Not all of them, mind you with three examples.

I meant stuff that's out-of-print on VHS/DVD/BD/etc ;)
A lot of the old Anchor Bay stuff has gone way up in price.
Even some of the re-releases from specialty publishers like Scream Factory and Arrow can be a bit pricey.
I was thinking about upgrading my Ring collection to BluRay, but I think I'll stick with my old Dreamworks DVD boxed set.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 12:08 am

The Universal Classic Monsters movies are readily available on DVD or Blu-ray if you don't have any of them in your collection.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 8:48 am

I also love horror movies, but i mainly watch them on free streaming websites.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 8:40 pm

The production company Blumhouse has made some good horror movies over the years.

Get Out

Us

Halloween

The Purge Series

A fifth Purge movie will be released this summer.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 11:54 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
The Universal Classic Monsters movies are readily available on DVD or Blu-ray if you don't have any of them in your collection.

I have a few of them, but honestly, I like Hammer's stuff a lot better.
None of them are as good as the novels they're based on, though. The Dracula movies never made much sense to me.

Actually, Kenneth Branaugh's Frankenstein (1994) is pretty darn close to the book. I have the DVD, but it's in fullscreen. Sony/Colombia DVDs from that era are a lot harder to find in widescreen.

Jewel Robbins
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2021, 11:51 am

I have been a life long fan of horror movies so I wanted to recommend a few that I've enjoyed. I recommend all the movies in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre series especially the remake of the original that came out in theaters sometime around the millenium. There is an older movie from the 1970's called Tourist Trap that I think is equally creepy. There's more older movie from the 1970's called Funhouse that I enjoyed years ago. Hope this was helpful.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 1:18 pm

28 Days Later can be viewed as either horror or sci-fi, but it's a great movie.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2021, 5:14 am

The Shining was Stanley Kubrick at the height of his career, taking on a popular horror novel. It's a bit of a special case, but generally, it's fair to say tha film, as a cultural product, is a 20th century fad, like the novel was in the 19th century.
It used to be that adults would go to the cinema, and kids would watch tv. Around the early 2000s it switched to the kids going to the cinema, and adults watching tv.
And now, everyone's just watching netflix while texting.

As a producer, I wouldn't invest in a horror film. I'd invest in a horror video-game, but only if it was also action-packed and japanese-ish in deaign.

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2021, 4:29 pm

While I acknowledge that most of the recent mainstream horror movies (the ones that rely on jump scares) have been pretty uninteresting, if you're prepared to look further afield- at slightly arty and foregin movies- I think horror cinema is going through a bit of a golden period.

Some examples (big breath): Under the Shadow, The Babadook, The Wailing, Tigers Are Not Afraid, It Follows, November, The Invitation, Saint Maud, Possessor, Colour Out of Space, Host, His House, The Lighthouse, A Dark Song, Relic, The Borderlands, Get Out, Hereditary, Tumbbad, Midsommar, Berberian Sound Studio, Extra Ordinary, In Fabric...

I've been able to pick up some of the above quite cheaply on DVD/BD and many are on streaming services.

If I was going to give just one recommendation out of the above, try "The Borderlands"- A UK found footage movie with a tiny budget that manages to funny and quite creepy (especially at the end). Think H P Lovecraft meets M R James meets Father Ted.

A side note: does anybody else use Letterboxd to record the movies they are watching and what they think of them? Can we share links to it on here?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 6:38 pm

The Cabin in the Woods is a great horror movie with some unexpected comedic moments in it.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 10:10 pm

Falloy wrote:
A side note: does anybody else use Letterboxd to record the movies they are watching and what they think of them? Can we share links to it on here?

I used to write little mini-reviews after watching films, but I haven't in a long time.