badRobot wrote:
Connery is 007 like Reeve is Superman!

George or Christopher?

Christopher!

AliceCooper
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Nov 2021, 5:34 am

I was going to watch this film No time to die. Then the director started virtue signaling when people do that. They have skeletons. Not too long after he did, that he got called out!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10088391/Raeden-Greer-claims-fired-HBO-refusing-topless.html

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 11:07 pm

I think it's in poor taste to for a director to trash the franchise of a movie he/she was hired to direct. Perhaps the producers are in on this too and were on board with him saying this, but again, it's not in good taste to dump on your own franchise.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2021, 10:49 am

AliceCooper wrote:
I was going to watch this film No time to die. Then the director started virtue signaling when people do that. They have skeletons. Not too long after he did, that he got called out!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10088391/Raeden-Greer-claims-fired-HBO-refusing-topless.html

I don't think the issue about an actor refusing to appear topless is equivalent to what Mr. Fukunagi said about early James Bond. I believe what he said is correct. As for why he made a big deal about Ms. Greer appearing topless I have no idea. Nowadays it seems actors believe they'll lose respect if they expose their breasts in film. In the 70s and 80s this didn't seem to be true like it is now. Just because I agree with what he said about Bond doesn't automatically mean he has to be a paragon of virtue. His behavior is probably typical for a Hollywood director of any gender.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2021, 10:51 am

ironpony wrote:
I think it's in poor taste to for a director to trash the franchise of a movie he/she was hired to direct. Perhaps the producers are in on this too and were on board with him saying this, but again, it's not in good taste to dump on your own franchise.

I don't know about the dumping on your own franchise issue but what he said is correct. He's simply acknowledging what any educated Westerner would think if familiar with the situation. Some journalist apparently believed that quoting him on this would attract eyeballs so it did.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 8:45 pm

I can see the original Bond being a rapist, but I still don't think a director of a franchise should say it, because even if it's correct, you are hired to direct a movie in a franchise, and therefore, it is unprofessional to dump on the franchise, even if the comment is correct. Just because it's correct, doesn't mean that you are hired to say it, when hired to direct a movie. He should be promoting the franchise, he was hired to be a part of, not dump on it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 9:02 pm

ironpony wrote:
I can see the original Bond being a rapist, but I still don't think a director of a franchise should say it, because even if it's correct, you are hired to direct a movie in a franchise, and therefore, it is unprofessional to dump on the franchise, even if the comment is correct. Just because it's correct, doesn't mean that you are hired to say it, when hired to direct a movie. He should be promoting the franchise, he was hired to be a part of, not dump on it.

Makes sense.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 9:05 pm

Does this make directors look bad in the business though, or is Hollywood all for directors dumping on their own franchises publically, if it means it will possibly attract people to see the movie more?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 11:13 am

ironpony wrote:
Does this make directors look bad in the business though, or is Hollywood all for directors dumping on their own franchises publically, if it means it will possibly attract people to see the movie more?

The Bond franchise is becoming, if not is antiquated. People who watch and rent movies frequently skew young and are thus more likely to see Bond as sexist or worse. They are your current and future movie watchers. My guess is that the director was told or given permission by marketing to attempt to separate the Bond image from “your fathers Bond”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 11:13 am

ironpony wrote:

The Bond franchise is becoming, if not is antiquated. People who watch and rent movies frequently skew young and are thus more likely to see Bond as sexist or worse. They are your current and future movie watchers. My guess is that the director was told or given permission by marketing to attempt to separate the Bond image from “your father’s Bond”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 2:02 am

About the whole Bond being a rapist. It seems to me that this is possible in two of the movies, Goldfinger and Thunderball.

SPOILERS FROM THOSE MOVIES

But in Goldfinger, why didn't p**** Galore just knee Bond in the nuts if she really didn't want him? She seems to be an expert martial artist, and could have put up more of a fight, so is this inconsistent with her character, if she didn't want it?

Also, in Thunderball, the woman who was blackmailed by Bond into having sex was totally into it, because she was all over Bond after, even though she was blackmailed. So she was turned on by the blackmail and found it naughty, hot and arousing. So is it really rape if the women responded positively? Now it's a perfectly legit argument that the woman would not realistically respond positively.

But does in the context of those movies, is it really rape or is it just unrealistically written women more so? Also, I watched Goldfinger with my gf and she was really turned on by the rape scene, and wanted to have sex after. So is it really that bad by today's standards if a modern woman like my gf was turned on by it? Perhaps women can get into James Bond too, and it's just a fantasy to have fun with and is not meant as realistic?

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 9:43 pm

ironpony wrote:
About the whole Bond being a rapist. It seems to me that this is possible in two of the movies, Goldfinger and Thunderball.

SPOILERS FROM THOSE MOVIES

But in Goldfinger, why didn't p**** Galore just knee Bond in the nuts if she really didn't want him? She seems to be an expert martial artist, and could have put up more of a fight, so is this inconsistent with her character, if she didn't want it?

Also, in Thunderball, the woman who was blackmailed by Bond into having sex was totally into it, because she was all over Bond after, even though she was blackmailed. So she was turned on by the blackmail and found it naughty, hot and arousing. So is it really rape if the women responded positively? Now it's a perfectly legit argument that the woman would not realistically respond positively.

But does in the context of those movies, is it really rape or is it just unrealistically written women more so? Also, I watched Goldfinger with my gf and she was really turned on by the rape scene, and wanted to have sex after. So is it really that bad by today's standards if a modern woman like my gf was turned on by it? Perhaps women can get into James Bond too, and it's just a fantasy to have fun with and is not meant as realistic?

the problem is not that it's a fantasy, and that thibgs can't be enjoyed as fantasies. The problem is that you need to learn to distinguish between a fiction you should only enjoy if you want it, like James Bond, and the fictions that guide human behaviour - like the bible, general moral ideas and so on.
it's not clear to me how I should behave in life, and there's all sorts of fictional characters showing me how to conduct myself - and the consequences. What usually is not part of the story is how much of a fictional environment has been constructed around a character for these results to make any sense.
so, James Bond isn't real, but neither is the woman, the villain, the global conflicts portrayed in these films or the race relationships. It's not just that you could never be as cool as Bond - even if you were, the environment wouldn't respond like it does in the movies, or the bible, or according to the moral sentiments of your peer group.
maybe if we had a way to distinguish reality from fiction, we could enjoy this freely, but for now, it's a bit complicated.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2021, 9:56 pm

But instead of the director dumping on it saying Bond's a rapist, couldn't he say something like, to enjoy the movies in their contexts, and have fun and make sure not to take them seriously, instead?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 6:15 am

ironpony wrote:
But instead of the director dumping on it saying Bond's a rapist, couldn't he say something like, to enjoy the movies in their contexts, and have fun and make sure not to take them seriously, instead?

The media would not have reported that. He needed to say something quotable. Of course he's a dick but who in Hollywood isn't a dick?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 1:37 am

So are you telling me that a rich movie company like EON productions, combined with Columbia pictures, cannot afford in the multi-million dollar marketing to get the director to speak publically without the media having too much control over it? I mean directors all the time talk about their movies without making comments like that, so I would find that surprising.