Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2023, 1:37 am

On many streaming services, particularly those with lower-tier prices, you will likely have no choice but to sit through a bunch of ads. If you go with a higher tier (meaning higher prices), you won't have to sit through ads.

However, doesn't physical media, such as DVDs, Blu-Rays and, earlier, videotapes, have ads, too?

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2023, 3:22 am

VHS, DVDs, etc. didn't have ads, but they do have previews. Those are typically considered different because they're at the start & don't interrupt the show. They are also usually at the start, as when first loading the DVD, not before each episode.

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2023, 12:08 am

Blue_Star wrote:
VHS, DVDs, etc. didn't have ads, but they do have previews. Those are typically considered different because they're at the start & don't interrupt the show. They are also usually at the start, as when first loading the DVD, not before each episode.

But you also have to sit through these ads before you can watch the VHS, DVD, etc.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2023, 1:55 pm

mharrington85 wrote:
Blue_Star wrote:

But you also have to sit through these ads before you can watch the VHS, DVD, etc.

Yes.

Sometimes they allow you to skip through them, and sometimes disc producer was a little %$#*$% and forces the viewer to play it through to the end. It feels like a waste of time. Sigh. I suggest making a list of things to do to preoccupy oneself during these commercials. They are commercials. They are for other discs you may enjoy buying, or renting, and if you happen to already own those discs, too bad.

Here is a gripe. One of my discs has an ad for the show Alphas. I don't recall if it was for "buy season 1" or an ad for the television show. Does not matter. I loved this show and it was canceled following a season ending cliff hanger. So I'm never going to buy season 1. I've been burned too many times by incomplete stories. Joan of Arcadia, Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me, are examples. There should be a punishment for people that cancel shows mid story. Jail time would be appropriate. Nothing excessive. Just a day or week in jail for each episode produced for the show. It could be a reality TV show. While in jail, their only form of entertainment could be books missing the last two chapters. At least Wonderfalls got a "sort of" ending.

So what are your thoughts on the previews and ads.
The notion of previews on a fixed media is really a waste, dare I say stupid. It is no different than including expired coupons from 1974.

Still. I love my DVDs and Blu-Rays. I just need to buy a few backup players and I'm ready to cut the internet. :D