Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 5:16 am

Merida, hands down!! !

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 5:49 am

I always enjoyed watching young female characters coming of age in the adventure/fantasy/science fiction genre. It makes for a nice contrast to the usual prince or young male who becomes a prince or king which are of course fairy stories that hark back to the middle ages.

Apart from Disney/Netflix princesses there's really good female characters like the girl in Pan's labrynth.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 7:03 am

I'm allowed to be creepy and have an opinion on Disney princesses because I have a daughter who watches them a lot.

I like Merida and Moana - they both kick ass and I guide my daughter towards these as role models rather than the more 'princessy' ones.

I find it strange that girls respond so strongly to Elsa. I feel that Anna is the star of the Frozen movies. I asked my daughter about it and she said she liked Elsa because she has magic powers. I posited that Anna was the better character because she gets stuff done without using magic powers, but she didn't agree.

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 3:52 pm

I haven't seen most of those films in a long time and I haven't seen Frozen or Raya (although neither are on the list anyway)
I'm rather stuck between Mulan, Rapunzel and Moana.

I'd like Merida if only she hadn't been so conveniently vague about how she wants her mum changed and avoided the second half of that film full of clichés and characters that turn into complete idiots. Ugh, sorry, I like the film but it could've been so much better than it was.

Anyway, I can't make up my mind to be honest so I haven't voted yet. Gravitating toward Rapunzel although I couldn't tell you why.

And I'm a 23 year old dude.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 4:11 pm

I've never seen the last four on this list ^ (Tiana, Rapunzel, Merida, Moana).

I pick Belle, because I'm a lot like her. We both read a lot, we're devoted to our father, we speak French, and we're afraid of falling in love with monsters. Our hearts are in glass cases, like the bell jar. We also personify inanimate objects by giving them names. She has great clothes and she learns how to love in the end. None of the other princesses learn to love. They just love foolishly, or they don't love at all.

I can relate to the townsfolk calling her "dazed and distracted" or "strange and peculiar" -- with a "dreamy far-off look" when her nose is stuck in a book. :heart:

Shouts out to Mulan who is also really cool.

One of my favourite animated heroines is Anastasia, but she technically isn't Disney.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 11:58 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
I find it strange that girls respond so strongly to Elsa. I feel that Anna is the star of the Frozen movies. I asked my daughter about it and she said she liked Elsa because she has magic powers. I posited that Anna was the better character because she gets stuff done without using magic powers, but she didn't agree.

Yeah I noticed that too with my daughter. Her specific reason she prefers Elsa is that Elsa is more powerful than Anna, Before Frozen my daughter loved Hermoine Grainger (who isn't a princess of course :lol: ) but again was a powerful young witch.

rottingpetal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2021, 11:20 pm

Personally I've preferred non-princess women like Megara and Esmeralda, but if I had to pick I gotta say Jasmine. I'm 27 btw.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 8:38 am

Princess Jasmine...
... because she reminds me of my wife
:heart:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 8:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
Princess Jasmine...

Hubba hubba!!....wait isn't she like a teen?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 9:26 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Princess Jasmine...
Hubba hubba!!....wait isn't she like a teen?
Maybe ... however, my wife, being Asian, tends to look much younger than she actually is.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2021, 9:31 pm

I chose belle, it was my favorite as a kid. I could relate to belle unlike the others. I love to read and just really wanted that library :lol: I'm in my late 30s.

Also agree with cyberdad about princess mononoke, I prefer the Ghibli heroines to the Disney ones. And the little girl in Pans labyrinth definitely has spunk. ( its one of my favorite movies).

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 5:16 pm

Mulan.

22 / Gen Z here.

Shout out to Tiana and Rapunzel though.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2021, 5:52 pm

Let's see...

Magic hair?
Magic hands?
Do animals talk to you?
Were you poisoned?
Cursed?
Kidnapped or enslaved?
Do people assume all your problems got solved because a big strong man showed up?

The answer is obvious: Bucky Barnes is a Disney Princess.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 9:33 pm

Dial1194 wrote:
Let's see...

Magic hair?
Magic hands?
Do animals talk to you?
Were you poisoned?
Cursed?
Kidnapped or enslaved?
Do people assume all your problems got solved because a big strong man showed up?

The answer is obvious: Bucky Barnes is a Disney Princess.

Your expanding the remit a little too far, in that case Hermoine Grainger would be a princess...

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2021, 8:47 am

cyberdad wrote:
Your expanding the remit a little too far, in that case Hermoine Grainger would be a princess...

New headcanon accepted!

DmitriNicholaev
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2021, 12:58 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've never seen the last four on this list ^ (Tiana, Rapunzel, Merida, Moana).

I pick Belle, because I'm a lot like her. We both read a lot, we're devoted to our father, we speak French, and we're afraid of falling in love with monsters. Our hearts are in glass cases, like the bell jar. We also personify inanimate objects by giving them names. She has great clothes and she learns how to love in the end. None of the other princesses learn to love. They just love foolishly, or they don't love at all.

I can relate to the townsfolk calling her "dazed and distracted" or "strange and peculiar" -- with a "dreamy far-off look" when her nose is stuck in a book. :heart:

Shouts out to Mulan who is also really cool.

One of my favourite animated heroines is Anastasia, but she technically isn't Disney.

Look at my username

You know where this is going.......