The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Page 9 of 9 [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,288
Location: United States of America

22 Oct 2022, 7:55 am

cyberdad wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
The only entertaining thing about this show is the fact that the writers, actors, and Amazon itself are attacking the fans and look how well it's working.

Here's a moral.

NEVER attack the fans. It doesn't matter if the fans are wrong or right. Your work is NOTHING without them.


Many (not all) of the fans haven't exactly been exemplary with their toxic attacks against the actors in these franchises.


And the attacks on fans AREN'T toxic? Hollywood has developed this attitude where they think the artist/writer/director/producer/actor is always right and they won't admit when they've made even a small imperfection and attack anyone who points it out.

Oh we're all racist, sexist bigots in the end. I try to peel off these stupid labels and BAM, a dozen more stick.


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.

I know what I hate in life and I love the fact that I hate these things in life.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,478

22 Oct 2022, 8:02 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
The only entertaining thing about this show is the fact that the writers, actors, and Amazon itself are attacking the fans and look how well it's working.

Here's a moral.

NEVER attack the fans. It doesn't matter if the fans are wrong or right. Your work is NOTHING without them.


Many (not all) of the fans haven't exactly been exemplary with their toxic attacks against the actors in these franchises.


And the attacks on fans AREN'T toxic? Hollywood has developed this attitude where they think the artist/writer/director/producer/actor is always right and they won't admit when they've made even a small imperfection and attack anyone who points it out.

Oh we're all racist, sexist bigots in the end. I try to peel off these stupid labels and BAM, a dozen more stick.


I think some of the fans are confused. They take out their frustrations on the actors who are just paid to act,



Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2017
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,685
Location: UK

22 Oct 2022, 9:20 am

cyberdad wrote:
Trueno wrote:
IThis awful series was totally trashing my magical memories of reading LOTR.


I think this is valid. If you did invest in the original books as a child then it's understandable to feel let down when either Amazon, Netflix or Disney promised so much but didn't deliver what was expected. Especially when they are tied to happy childhood memories.

I think many of the new writers (whether it be Star wars or LOTR) miss how much canonical lore is so closely tied to the characters and to the landscape. But writers are also beholden to commercial imperatives which are linked to the funding of these enterprises and also the need to broaden the horizons of the fictional universe.

But creative license shouldn't just mean "lets throw these characters against a wall and see what sticks with the fans".


Thanks for acknowledging that. I first read the book when I was in hospital. I was told on my 16th birthday that I wasn’t really expected to live. I didn’t even know if I’d get to the end of the book. But here I am 50 years later, still going like a creaky gate. The book was my medicine… other people’s experierencs may differ.


_________________
Steve J

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame


Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2017
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,685
Location: UK

22 Oct 2022, 10:46 am

Ooops. Hope I haven’t killed the thread off… I’m good at that.


_________________
Steve J

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame


blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 69
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,934

22 Oct 2022, 5:08 pm

Good to see you again, Trueno.

I first read the books in junior high school after seeing a Frodo Lives button.

Now, you haven’t officially killed the thread.

This season is over, so comments might fade away.


_________________
The rivers flow not past, but through us, thrilling, tingling, vibrating every fiber and cell of the substance of our bodies, making them glide and sing. – John Muir


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,478

22 Oct 2022, 7:21 pm

Trueno wrote:
The book was my medicine… other people’s experierencs may differ.


And of course you will always have the original books. In some ways the fanbase are really like one long book club who are perpetually exploring the universe created by the original authors.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,478

22 Oct 2022, 7:22 pm

Trueno wrote:
Ooops. Hope I haven’t killed the thread off… I’m good at that.


Nope, that's NTs job :lol:



enz
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 26 Sep 2015
Posts: 1,047

24 Oct 2022, 4:55 pm

cyberdad wrote:
enz wrote:
We need more new Intellectual properties in movies with cool black heroes rather than stirring up controversy for publicity sake


There's plenty
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Cage_(TV_series)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lig ... (TV_series)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162650/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455944/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052448/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraft ... (TV_series)

That's literally the tip of the iceberg. The HBO decision to shelve Lovecraft Country was outrageous. it remains the best TV drama I have ever seen


I would say, not in blockbusters but we got 3 of them in the near future



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,478

25 Oct 2022, 2:03 am

enz wrote:
I would say, not in blockbusters but we got 3 of them in the near future


Fans of specific genres seem to gravitate to blockbusters with A-list white actors.

It's not rocket science. Back in the 70s and 80s (pre-internet) if you walk into a teenagers room the movie posters on their wall would predictably be one type of race.

In 2022 there is more black content in TV and cinema but it's scope to attract audiences outside of PoC is limited.

I did an experiment where i looked at the feed for 50 white teenagers on social media (they have sites/celebrities and podcasts/music they follow). I estimate maybe 5 out 50 had people of colour in their feed whom they follow. And of course of those five only one had any significant proportion of PoC whom they follow.

Therefore if you have a multicultural cast in a movie you still need the main characters to be white to guarantee a return on the investment.



DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,675
Location: City of Roses

15 Nov 2022, 4:30 pm

On second thought, all this politically motivated racial controversy is exactly why I won't ever give this series a chance. I'm not going to be guilted into watching anything and feel forced to like it or shamed for not liking it so f**k that.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,478

22 Nov 2022, 7:26 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I'm not going to be guilted into watching anything and feel forced to like it or shamed for not liking it so f**k that.


Back when the Star wars Phantom menace was released there were literally hundreds of fans saying the same thing about Hayden Christianson and Jar Jar Binks. But here's the thing, nobody was forcing anyone to watch.

Today the same fans who wanted Hayden Christianson and Ahmed Best to kill themselves now think they are legends. Sometimes you need to look past the noise and focus on the talent. The multiracial cast in ROP are absolutely fantastic actors. Don't get caught up in the narrow minded type casting. Sure I too would prefer closer alignment with the canonical literature but at the end of the day I don't care and appreciate whatever it is they dish out.

After all...it's all fiction anyway



Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,288
Location: United States of America

22 Nov 2022, 8:31 pm

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I'm not going to be guilted into watching anything and feel forced to like it or shamed for not liking it so f**k that.


Back when the Star wars Phantom menace was released there were literally hundreds of fans saying the same thing about Hayden Christianson and Jar Jar Binks. But here's the thing, nobody was forcing anyone to watch.

Today the same fans who wanted Hayden Christianson and Ahmed Best to kill themselves now think they are legends. Sometimes you need to look past the noise and focus on the talent. The multiracial cast in ROP are absolutely fantastic actors. Don't get caught up in the narrow minded type casting. Sure I too would prefer closer alignment with the canonical literature but at the end of the day I don't care and appreciate whatever it is they dish out.

After all...it's all fiction anyway


Most people have a more refined taste in what they enjoy when it comes to fiction. Some fiction looks good over time and some doesn't. The reason why the prequels are such masterpieces is because the sequels sucked. The prequels had better storytelling and the sequels had storytelling that dropped in quality from one film to the next. Good or decent, consistent storytelling will start to look good decades from its release. You say you'll appreciate anything they churn out? I want to believe you have better judgement than that. Imagine a fiction about a bag of crap and the story focuses on that bag of crap just sitting there for 20 minutes an episode and the whole season goes on for about 24 episodes. Just because some producer tells you to shut up and consume product and then get excited about next product, doesn't mean you should.


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.

I know what I hate in life and I love the fact that I hate these things in life.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,478

22 Nov 2022, 9:30 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
You say you'll appreciate anything they churn out? I want to believe you have better judgement than that. Imagine a fiction about a bag of crap and the story focuses on that bag of crap just sitting there for 20 minutes an episode and the whole season goes on for about 24 episodes. Just because some producer tells you to shut up and consume product and then get excited about next product, doesn't mean you should.


No probably not. And everyone is free to critique based on their own preferences.

However, none of us have the money/budget/time/skills etc. to create our own franchise. Disney and Netflix control the purse strings to a number of fan fiction novels made into television series.

Disney have had considerable losses over the past few years and sacked Bob Chapak. However this has nothing to do with producing "woke" teleseries and more to do with the failure of Disney + and COVID-19



Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2015
Age: 35
Posts: 2,857
Location: England

11 Dec 2022, 5:41 am


_________________
Children are innocent and love justice, while most of us are wicked and naturally prefer mercy.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,478

11 Dec 2022, 6:09 am

Mikah wrote:


I mean it is funny. But you also need a spoiler warning