The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Page 4 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 3:39 pm

I don't understand how anyone can enjoy this. Amazon and actors in this show have shown that they hate the LoTR fan community.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 5:17 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
I don't understand how anyone can enjoy this. Amazon and actors in this show have shown that they hate the LoTR fan community.

If the shadow has taken hold over the fan community, then good riddance.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 5:31 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

[waves to Feyokien]

Hello other moderator, I thought they were only 2 here.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 5:32 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

[waves to Feyokien]

I haven't moderated in maybe 2 years, I'm just stuck with the role

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 5:47 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

[waves to Feyokien]

I haven't moderated in maybe 2 years, I'm just stuck with the role

Stuck? Is becoming a moderator a bit like the mafia - in for life :skull:

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 9:10 pm

Feyokien wrote:
I doubt most people are even aware of the source material so how can they tell they dislike the show or actually Tolkien's source material. Lol.

They can easily find out though. Tolkien's source material is readily available in book form, I myself watched Harry Potter and Game of Thrones first before reading the books. Movies and teledrama will never capture the original writer's imagination or do justice to their creativity and the atmosphere they created in their original books.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 9:19 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Show has been alright so far. Galadriel is a little too wooden and time compression has been whacky. .

The actress playing Galadriel has some big shoes to fill. Australian actress Cate Blanchett is much more ethereal in the LOTR adaptation but here's the thing.

Galdadriel at the time of the LOTR is older, wiser and seen more of life than the Galadriel of the ROP. The ROP Galadriel is younger, impulsive and was still getting over the death of her brother at the hands of Sauron. Despite squeezing a lot into 4 episodes (so far) I can see she is driven by a sense of justice fueled by revenge.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the ROP Galadriel mannerisms seem remarkably similar to Snape in HP.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 9:23 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:

Disney and Amazon know that fans will pay for subscription regardless of what the content is. They self evidently changing the storylines to attract new fans e,g, younger generation, POC, women etc....

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 9:23 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

Let me put it this way. Many fans have stated they're not gonna watch this. Amazon and the actors attacked these fans by calling them racist and misogynist. Fan backlash has been strong because once again Hollywood likes to label people who don't like their work.

Do I think the Peter Jackson trilogy was better? Yeah.
Does that mean I deserve to be labeled a racist or sexist by Amazon? No.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 9:25 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Let me put it this way. Many fans have stated they're not gonna watch this.

Of course they will. Otherwise how will they know what to critique when they moan on social media :lol:

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 9:25 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

Disney and Amazon know that fans will pay for subscription regardless of what the content is. They self evidently changing the storylines to attract new fans e,g, younger generation, POC, women etc....

I cannot completely boycott Amazon Prime since it's my mother's account so I just won't give their content any attention and focus on whatever else I find on there. Thank god even she won't watch RoP either.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 9:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

Of course they will. Otherwise how will they know what to critique when they moan on social media :lol:

Well, some do have to watch and analyze a full episode before deciding a verdict that will completely tear into it.

Like so.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 9:37 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

Well, some do have to watch and analyze a full episode before deciding a verdict that will completely tear into it.

Like so.

There may be a few fans who resort to watching other fans criticise ROP but I think most (being fans) will pay the subscription. And that's all Disney and Amazon care about. If anything the negative social media feeds into getting free press advertising in articles. All that does is promote the franchise to a new market. Disney and Amazon can't lose.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 9:52 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

Like so.

There may be a few fans who resort to watching other fans criticise ROP but I think most (being fans) will pay the subscription. And that's all Disney and Amazon care about. If anything the negative social media feeds into getting free press advertising in articles. All that does is promote the franchise to a new market. Disney and Amazon can't lose.

There's more than one way a show can get cancelled rather than be renewed. Netflix's Resident Evil series didn't do so well.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 10:03 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
There's more than one way a show can get cancelled rather than be renewed. Netflix's Resident Evil series didn't do so well.

Resident evil doesn't have the fan base that SW, LOTR and HP has. On the flipside the Predator franchise is back with the movie "Prey" which went direct to streaming and is now a bigger success in terms of $$ than the original cinematic productions ever were.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 11:40 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
Show has been alright so far. Galadriel is a little too wooden and time compression has been whacky. .

The actress playing Galadriel has some big shoes to fill. Australian actress Cate Blanchett is much more ethereal in the LOTR adaptation but here's the thing.

Galdadriel at the time of the LOTR is older, wiser and seen more of life than the Galadriel of the ROP. The ROP Galadriel is younger, impulsive and was still getting over the death of her brother at the hands of Sauron. Despite squeezing a lot into 4 episodes (so far) I can see she is driven by a sense of justice fueled by revenge.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the ROP Galadriel mannerisms seem remarkably similar to Snape in HP.

Galadriel is approximately ~4500 old by the end of the second age and was already one of the eldest of her race still dwelling in the realm of the Noldor in Middle Earth. If we're to accept time compression then she's still like ~3000 years old in the show and still one of the eldest.

She is High King Gil Galads great aunt