Is there a guide to fashion for Aspies?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2007, 12:59 pm

I seem to be absolutely hopeless when it comes to clothes.

I find I look very boring, when everyone else that I see looks alot more interesting, yet I have never really been able to keep up with fashion.

Does anyone here know anything about current fashion, or know where I could find such information?

Or maybe any suggestions on where to buy clothes in or around South Yorkshire? (I'm getting a little board with my parents buying everything).

Cheers
Steve

Cadzie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Aug 2007, 1:34 pm

Me I dress how I like, which is hard sometimes weather permitting, I like cargo pants coats like trench ones, or with a hoodie, fingerless gloves, sun glasses, and I'll wear anything if it seems nice to me

Scramjet
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Aug 2007, 2:13 pm

Here's a thread where a member who's on the "edge" of the spectrum and paired up with a full-blown aspie, giving a bunch of advice:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ic&t=28612

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 2:22 pm

well you basically emphasize the good bits and conceal the bad bits. it depends on height and body shape and colouring.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 4:27 pm

the most important thing about fashion is that you should not concern yourself with the current trends. trendwhoring isnt fashion. fashion is more of an attitude (and sure canb take the form of an obsession). wear clothes YOU like, for whatever reason. maybe you like certain colors or combinations of colors, maybe the look of a certain kind of item just appeals to you aesthetically. maybe you like the symbolism behind some clothes... possible reasons are endless.

i went from blind trendwhoring to feeding exactly my own wishes for fashion. this was a slow progression... it started with small steps, such as starting to wear black clothes only, but still pretty normal stuff: sneakers, jeans and a t-shirt. later on, there were more daring things like bandshirts showcasing my off-mainstream taste in music. eventually, i progressed to a stylized/fashionized military look, army trousers in paratrooper boots and all that.
the important part is that you take steps that make YOU feel more at home in YOUR clothes. dont care what is en vogue or not, care for what you like. once you feel better in your clothes, you may derive more self-consciousness from it and thus, the drive to do your thing in a bolder way.

shales thread (scramjet posted the link) contains some great basic advice if you have trouble considering anything beyond sweat pants and year-old t-shirts, but im sure that more serious questions will be answered there, too.

Amarantha
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2007, 10:34 pm

There's http://www.fashion4nerds.com/ , although it's only for guy nerds.

It contains simple tips like "Never wear socks with sandals" (which, by the way, I am doing at this very moment :wink: ).

imipak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2007, 11:23 pm

Far more important, in my mind, is whether there is a fashion guide BY aspies. Fashion designers never come up with anything wearable (or legal in public), so it's clear we can no longer trust NTs with the important task of picking out clothes. When Hewlett-Packard invented casual-clothes fridays, productivity went up. Aspies are already more productive than NTs in casual clothes, effort-for-effort. Doesn't it make sense, then, that if Aspies picked the fashions all the time, productivity would skyrocket?

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 12:08 am

If anyone has any questions, they can feel free to ask me! I was even voted best dressed in the twelfth grade last year! I mainly know about girls' fashion, but guys' fashion won't be a problem for me to help with! 8)

zee
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 3:23 am

Thrift stores are a great place to shop for clothes. Not only are they cheap and have a HUGE selection of all styles, but most of the clothes are 'worn in' and thus more comfortable.

Iamscientist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2007, 10:25 am

Amarantha wrote:

It contains simple tips like "Never wear socks with sandals" (which, by the way, I am doing at this very moment :wink: ).

That is a fantastic website! I wish I knew those rules 10 years ago. I had to figure out most of those myself.

Truth is, I'm not a scientist. I'm an analytic philosopher, but we like to think we're scientists.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2007, 1:58 pm

Thanks for the information everyone.

Now all I do is need to buy some new clothes. Anyone fancy come shopping with me?

zee
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 7:24 pm

The "fashion4nerds" site gives good advice with the "You can't go wrong with..." section. However, women don't give a rat's a$$ if your belt and shoes don't match. I personally love it when guys wear loud colors, runners, plaid and glasses, etc. It's good to be different. 8)

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 8:22 pm

Amarantha wrote:

I follow some of those rules, and break many of them... purposefully.

I don't really get the hang-up over white socks... or shoes... or Hawaiian shirts.

I wear Hawaiian shirts all the time... they have buttons, can be subdued or colorful... and they are supposed to be loose. I hate tight clothing.

Plus the long hair thing, I plan to be sporting long hair for a while. I like it.

I think being comfortable, yet not wearing clothes that just scream give me attention for dressing so strangely... is all that is needed.

I'm never going to be overly fussy about the clothes I wear...

Edit: Oh yeah, and the uni-brow. I sport one... shaved it once... and didn't really see what the big deal was. Who really cares about a uni-brow? I don't really see the big deal in shaving off all these bits of hair that don't really get in the way...

My criteria... does it smell? does it get in the way? is it just there for attention? These are the criteria I follow when I am grooming... extra eyebrow hair does not fall into any of these categories. It stays.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Mr_Winston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2007, 6:10 am

I follow only one set of fashion rules...my own.

Having said that though, I generally follow the set of 'rules' outlined in the link posted above (with the exception of 'facial hair' as I frequently forget to shave and wearing a belt because I dislike my trousers feeling too tight) - but i've yet to have any females compliment me on what fashion sense I do have. Besides, 30 females is hardly a good representative sample.

Incidentally, whilst at Uni I have noticed that the type of chap to have a girl on his arm is frequently dressed either like a 1950s schoolboy in a pastel or brown-coloured v-neck sweater, shirt and some kind of tie; or almost head to toe in pink with tight jeans, silly belts and spikey dyed-blonde hair which if worn ten years ago, would have been seen only in the confines of a gay bar.

So, I just wear what I wish to wear. Oscar Wilde was pretty accurate when he said "Fashion is an ugliness so intolerable that it must be altered every six months".

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 7:20 am

Amarantha wrote:

im breaking a lot of rules from this site... but then, some of the rules are really weird. "avoid basically everything white" - what a s**t rule... sure, white dont fits me but what about someone with tan or more highly pigmented skin? i think, on such people, a white suit with a jet black shirt and a white tie looks great. to top it off, a white hat. even if it breaks another rule from that site.

to me, these rules that make you look as boring as all people out there. that may be okay for nts who are obsessed with "fitting in", but since we already live in a world that doesnt fit, the least we can do is making our clothes fit. fit US, that is.

UnrelentingHorror
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2007, 3:02 am

gekitsu wrote:
Amarantha wrote:

im breaking a lot of rules from this site... but then, some of the rules are really weird. "avoid basically everything white" - what a sh** rule... sure, white dont fits me but what about someone with tan or more highly pigmented skin? i think, on such people, a white suit with a jet black shirt and a white tie looks great. to top it off, a white hat. even if it breaks another rule from that site.

to me, these rules that make you look as boring as all people out there. that may be okay for nts who are obsessed with "fitting in", but since we already live in a world that doesnt fit, the least we can do is making our clothes fit. fit US, that is.

Some of them are good though like the shirts fitting thing. I'm due for some new clothes cause of that rule :oops: