Why Do you think people with Autism like Superheroes?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Wolfman1983
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2012, 8:54 pm

It's something I wondered about because I noticed it from friends that a portion of people with Autism Enjoy Superheroes like myself

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 8:57 pm

Wolfman1983 wrote:
Superheroes like myself

What kind of superhero are you??

:roll: Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Wolfman1983
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2012, 9:19 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
Wolfman1983 wrote:
Superheroes like myself

What kind of superhero are you??

:roll: Sorry, couldn't help myself.
I ment including my self is also a fan of Superheroes

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 10:16 pm

For me , it's the same reason I love sci-fi--all the world building and lore....

The only comic heroes I'm really obsessed with are The Phantom and Batman....

Both characters have great origins and a very rich, detailed history... I'm currently reading The Phantom: Generations. Its a HUGE collection of short stories featuring all 21 Phantoms from 1536 to present day! It's an aspie geek's dream come true!

But honestly.... I don't read or watch any fiction that isn't from some kind of genre---Sci-fi, fantasy, comic books, westerns.... I guess I just don't relate to reality.
:?

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 10:21 pm

One of more popular ones is Spiderman. A smart loner that suddenly has a double life where he gets to be the hero.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 10:47 pm

We're like X-Men - we're different, with special abilities, but we hide in plain site.

Vyacheslav
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 2:15 am

My favorite is the Green Arrow. He helps me almost everyday, stopping oncoming traffic at intersections so I can make my left turn. :)

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 8:56 am

I like Captain Planet because he and the Planeteers fight for a great cause. Plus, although Cap is a superhero, the Planeteers are also heroes and do a lot of the work as well. He also has the best powers, too. I like how he can manipulate the elements. It kind of makes me think 'what do you know, people, nature does have ways of fighting back,'. Although he can't solve everything. Some things it's about people needing to pitch in to help, too.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 10:44 am

It has been claimed that those on the spectrum have an unusually high interest in justice, and in seeing it done, which is a superhero's stock-in-trade. Add to that the wonderfully convoluted histories of some of the heroes or hero teams (the Green Lantern Corps, for instance, or the Legion of Super-Heroes - have they gotten a fourth incarnation with the New 52 reboot at DC?), so that there are all these beautiful details to pore over and learn about, and you have a long-term special interest just raring to go!

(And Captain Planet is nothing more than an environmental-extremist ripoff of the Psi-Hawk, from Marvel New U's title Psi-Force. In the comic, five teenagers who had been gifted with psionic powers by the White Event, the event that kicked off superpowers in the New Universe, found that when they concentrated on a medallion given them by their mentor before he was killed, they could combine their powers to summon up the Psi-Hawk, a large humanoid figure that could use all their powers at once. They tried it once with six, after Tom Boyd (Psyphon) joined the group, but the Hawk went crazy; Michael Crawley (Dynamite), who had been doubting his value as a team member anyway, ran off after that, bringing them back down to five.)

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 12:24 pm

I don't like Superheroes.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 1:35 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
It has been claimed that those on the spectrum have an unusually high interest in justice, and in seeing it done, which is a superhero's stock-in-trade. Add to that the wonderfully convoluted histories of some of the heroes or hero teams (the Green Lantern Corps, for instance, or the Legion of Super-Heroes - have they gotten a fourth incarnation with the New 52 reboot at DC?), so that there are all these beautiful details to pore over and learn about, and you have a long-term special interest just raring to go!

(And Captain Planet is nothing more than an environmental-extremist ripoff of the Psi-Hawk, from Marvel New U's title Psi-Force. In the comic, five teenagers who had been gifted with psionic powers by the White Event, the event that kicked off superpowers in the New Universe, found that when they concentrated on a medallion given them by their mentor before he was killed, they could combine their powers to summon up the Psi-Hawk, a large humanoid figure that could use all their powers at once. They tried it once with six, after Tom Boyd (Psyphon) joined the group, but the Hawk went crazy; Michael Crawley (Dynamite), who had been doubting his value as a team member anyway, ran off after that, bringing them back down to five.)

I still like him and the Planeteers, anyway. And I suppose it's not really surprising that the idea for the show wasn't original. Nothing really is when you stop and think about it. Before watching the show, I had actually come up with a very similar idea. :lol: When I saw it, it was almost as if my own idea had been turned into a cartoon, with the exception of the superhero and the rings. In my 'version', they're more like a big team with a hierarchy and all that. You have the four Elites(one for each element)who are the most powerful and in charge, you have some specializing in energy conservation, others working on game reserves or zoos, and doing different environmentalist things. Maybe that's why I got to like the show so much. Because I already had an interest in environmentalism, and in my own world, had already created some characters similar to the Planeteers.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 3:44 pm

I think it might be that so many of us wish that we could be somebody else that people loved and adored and the fact that Superheroes in a way do this with Secret Identities and such it appeals to us. But then again pretty much f*****g everyone love Superheroes because they are just f*****g cool.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 7:13 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
We're like X-Men - we're different, with special abilities, but we hide in plain site.
So true; that's why I've always loved the X-Men- favorite superheroes/mutants, by far...plus, their range of abilities are so diverse and their life experiences are so similar; they are mistreated and the society that they live in does not accept them for who they are, and therefore try to change them- rather like those on the Autism spectrum. You especially see this in the last of the X-Men trilogy, X-Men: The Last Stand.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 7:19 pm

It feeds my inner nerd?

but seriously, I hang out with boys who like superheroes and it rubs off on me. I was never a fan, until adulthood with all the awesome superhero movies that recently came out.

Fun fact: I dressed up as Wonderwoman today at work :D

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 7:43 pm

Hate superheros.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 9:29 pm

I always liked the Thing of the Fantastic Four. His monstrous transformation had made him a pariah, and so he was always alone. And his self consciousness of his monstrous appearance only drives him to depression and rage. Kind of how I felt growing up at a time when no one in this country even knew what Asperger's was, but I damn well knew there was something different about me - and so did everybody else.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer