Australian soap Neighbours is ending forever

Page 3 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,310

27 Jul 2022, 4:48 pm

KitLily wrote:
And this is a great article about why Neighbours is so important culturally and for mental health. This applies to me as well. Knowing that silly, happy show would distract me once or twice a day helped me when I went through great trials in my life. Not every show has to be gritty realism.

‘Neighbours pulled me through the bleakest points in my life’: readers say farewell to the Australian soap

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... alian-soap


What confuses a lot of Australians is why Brits are so fascinated and invested in neighbors? apparently one theory is that Neighbors and "HOme and Away" were both created to attract more British migrants :lol:



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,310

27 Jul 2022, 4:55 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
In the UK don't people choose towns where there's a local cosy little pub so they can meet and become familiar with the locals?


Not as far as I know? People just tend to stay where they were born, unless they have to move for work.


Ok, I watch too much "Move to the Country"


Yeah, that's absolutely not my experience at all. Many towny people do have an idea of rural country life that involves the friendly 'local' but the reality is that village pubs are struggling to survive now and the ones that do well have switched to doing food for tourists. Some actually get annoyed with you if you only order a drink.

The culture is changing because the older village dwellers are dying off and the younger, drinking-age ones have to move away because they can't afford to live there (partly thanks to all those 'Move to the Country' commuters with their city salaries pushing up prices) and there's no jobs or social scene. Pubs are a casualty of that.


I imagine COVID made things worse for the sustainability of the old village pub? historically here in Australia pubs were never a family environment and always attracted the worst sort who would often pick fights if you weren't a regular. Lassiters in Neighbors is actually based on an RSL (Returned Serviceman's League) restaraunt/bar. They were started up after WWII as a meeting placed for returned servicemen. They eventually started up a separate section for families to eat a meal (today's restaraunt sections) and also have a separate section for poker machines where the old fellows would go throw away their pensions on a slot machine or the horses.



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,582
Location: England

28 Jul 2022, 2:41 am

cyberdad wrote:
What confuses a lot of Australians is why Brits are so fascinated and invested in neighbors? apparently one theory is that Neighbors and "HOme and Away" were both created to attract more British migrants :lol:


It is a fantasy I suppose, seeing lovely sunny weather and people enjoying the beach 24/7. Until recently we never got lovely weather like that and we certainly don't live on the beach. It's usually rain and dull skies in Britain, even during the summer. Climate change is actually improving our weather. lol.

Also, British soaps are miserable, full of gritty drama. We want the escapism of beaches and sun, silly storylines and fantasy with Australian ones.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,582
Location: England

28 Jul 2022, 2:47 am

cyberdad wrote:
historically here in Australia pubs were never a family environment and always attracted the worst sort who would often pick fights if you weren't a regular.


Yes, pubs weren't family orientated in Britain til probably the late 80s or so. It was just the influence of America that changed pubs into family places, because that's what they are like in America with full table service etc. Pub chains like Wetherspoons, Greene King, Vintage Inns, Fullers grew up and now pubs are for families with all the amenities. So blame the Americans, haha.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,310

28 Jul 2022, 3:51 am

KitLily wrote:
Also, British soaps are miserable, full of gritty drama. We want the escapism of beaches and sun, silly storylines and fantasy with Australian ones.


My sister loved British drama like "The Bill" and "East Enders".

I grew up on Doctor Who, the Goodies. Dad's army and Monty Python.

It's funny but I think British TV is far superior to our local productions.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,310

28 Jul 2022, 3:53 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yes, pubs weren't family orientated in Britain til probably the late 80s or so. It was just the influence of America that changed pubs into family places, because that's what they are like in America with full table service etc. Pub chains like Wetherspoons, Greene King, Vintage Inns, Fullers grew up and now pubs are for families with all the amenities. So blame the Americans, haha.


Oh, that's interesting? do you mean like Cheers? I actually like Ted Danson, he seemed like an interesting character to talk to after a few beers. Kelsey Grammar's alter ego of Frasier would have been somewhat tedious to deal with.



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,582
Location: England

28 Jul 2022, 3:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
My sister loved British drama like "The Bill" and "East Enders".

I grew up on Doctor Who, the Goodies. Dad's army and Monty Python.

It's funny but I think British TV is far superior to our local productions.


Gosh East Enders is depressing, ugh.

Those others were good.

Don't worry, the government is working on dumbing down our TV shows. Nothing left wing is allowed anymore. Whatever left wing TV is :?


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,582
Location: England

28 Jul 2022, 3:57 am

cyberdad wrote:
Oh, that's interesting? do you mean like Cheers? I actually like Ted Danson, he seemed like an interesting character to talk to after a few beers. Kelsey Grammar's alter ego of Frasier would have been somewhat tedious to deal with.


I don't know what caused it, I assume Brits went on holiday to America and liked the service. Or American businesses noticed that there was a new market waiting for them in Britain. We are always copying America, we will end up being the same as them. :roll:

I didn't like Cheers, it was boring. Love Frasier though! It is so funny. I'm actually watching an episode right now! The dead seal episode :lol:


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,310

28 Jul 2022, 3:57 am

KitLily wrote:
Don't worry, the government is working on dumbing down our TV shows. Nothing left wing is allowed anymore. Whatever left wing TV is :?


I've got to admit, there's some edgy stuff coming from your shores. Enjoyed Luther and Inspector Ray. I'm a sucker for a lot Scottish and Irish police dramas. You fellows do an excellent job.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,310

28 Jul 2022, 3:59 am

KitLily wrote:
I didn't like Cheers, it was boring. Love Frasier though! It is so funny. I'm actually watching an episode right now! The dead seal episode :lol:


My wife likes Frasier but I'm the opposite, prefer Cheers to Frasier. I think I like the idea of "idealistic" bar where everyone from all walks of life come together at the end of the working day and get a chance to bond, reflect and down a few pints.



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,582
Location: England

28 Jul 2022, 4:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
I've got to admit, there's some edgy stuff coming from your shores. Enjoyed Luther and Inspector Ray. I'm a sucker for a lot Scottish and Irish police dramas. You fellows do an excellent job.


Hopefully that'll continue.

I don't like police dramas though, I'm more of a relationship drama or comedy type of person. :P


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,582
Location: England

28 Jul 2022, 4:07 am

cyberdad wrote:
My wife likes Frasier but I'm the opposite, prefer Cheers to Frasier. I think I like the idea of "idealistic" bar where everyone from all walks of life come together at the end of the working day and get a chance to bond, reflect and down a few pints.


Yes that is a nice idea about that type of bar. It's a shame it's not real. I suppose that's why Cheers was so popular.

I like Frasier because they are so pretentious and their father is the complete opposite. But underneath they always mean well.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,310

28 Jul 2022, 4:36 am

KitLily wrote:
I like Frasier because they are so pretentious and their father is the complete opposite. But underneath they always mean well.


A lot of what Frasier and Niles did was really far fetched. The problem is there really are pretentious people like this (I am related to a fair few). Yes, Frasier's father was a great antidote to his son's silly antics :lol:



DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2021
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 845
Location: Dorset

28 Jul 2022, 5:36 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I like Frasier because they are so pretentious and their father is the complete opposite. But underneath they always mean well.


A lot of what Frasier and Niles did was really far fetched. The problem is there really are pretentious people like this (I am related to a fair few). Yes, Frasier's father was a great antidote to his son's silly antics :lol:


I really like Frasier, more so than Cheers which I remember watching but was a touch too young to fully appreciate. I can identify strongly with that idea of not being what the father expected or wanted his son to be, and the hurt that causes on both sides, but ultimately still loving each other. For a comedy there was some pretty deep stuff going on in that premise. And when it was funny, it was *really* funny.

I struggle a lot with British television. Not so much the older stuff I grew up with, but modern drama and comedy. For some reason I find British accents really hard to take in TV shows and films, it just sounds fake to me. Fortunately there's plenty of excellent US stuff to watch.



KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,582
Location: England

28 Jul 2022, 5:58 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I like Frasier because they are so pretentious and their father is the complete opposite. But underneath they always mean well.


A lot of what Frasier and Niles did was really far fetched. The problem is there really are pretentious people like this (I am related to a fair few). Yes, Frasier's father was a great antidote to his son's silly antics :lol:


Oh yes, farfetched is the point. Like Neighbours is farfetched. Really good escapism. It was a masterstroke to make Martin such a down to earth type of guy and his sons so delicate and affected. I'd love to have seen what their mother was like! And of course there was Daphne Moon and Roz, the no nonsense female characters.

Yet underneath it all, Frasier and Niles have good hearts and mean well.


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.


KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,582
Location: England

28 Jul 2022, 6:05 am

DuckHairback wrote:
I really like Frasier, more so than Cheers which I remember watching but was a touch too young to fully appreciate. I can identify strongly with that idea of not being what the father expected or wanted his son to be, and the hurt that causes on both sides, but ultimately still loving each other. For a comedy there was some pretty deep stuff going on in that premise. And when it was funny, it was *really* funny.

I struggle a lot with British television. Not so much the older stuff I grew up with, but modern drama and comedy. For some reason I find British accents really hard to take in TV shows and films, it just sounds fake to me. Fortunately there's plenty of excellent US stuff to watch.


Yes, parent/child problems are always going to affect most viewers aren't they. My mum is really pretentious but doesn't have a kind heart like Frasier and Niles.

I thought every episode was really funny tbh. Obviously there are some classic, top rate episodes like the ski lodge one, and the one when they bought a restaurant and tried to run it together, and the one where they try to perform a radio play.

I also thought the casting against type was brilliant. In real life Frasier/Kelsey Grammer is a beach bum, surfer type guy. And Martin/John Mahoney, was a quiet intellectual. Excellent actors!


_________________
I am here for interesting, meaningful discussions and thoughtful, rewarding conversations. I very quickly lose interest in long, drawn-out arguments.
***
I'm sorry if I get you mixed up with other people, I'm not good at telling people apart. Just remind me of our last conversation then I'll know who you are.