Australian soap Neighbours is ending forever

Page 1 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 8:56 am

This will probably only appeal to Brits and Australians, but it is a real end of an era. Neighbours has been going since 1985 and seen me and numerous other people through happy and sad times, got us through difficult times etc.

They are now all riding off into the sunset forever.

Hooroo, you flamin' mungrels!

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 11:56 am

We watched it as teenagers and commented when the characters did something innapropriate due to bad screenwriting or exaggerated personality traits. we enjoyed it :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 3:27 pm

klanka wrote:
We watched it as teenagers and commented when the characters did something innapropriate due to bad screenwriting or exaggerated personality traits. we enjoyed it :lol:

Yes, I reckon it's a sign of the times. People don't know their neighbours anymore like that so it isn't relevant. Pretty sad though, Neighbours has kept me going through very difficult times.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 5:25 pm

I have to admit it cheered me up a bit because it was always sunny and the characters were friendly.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 5:44 am

klanka wrote:
I have to admit it cheered me up a bit because it was always sunny and the characters were friendly.

Yes. English soaps are always miserable but Australian ones tend to be sunny, warm, and people care about each other.

The opposite of real life!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 10:39 am

I always preferred home and away but I've not watched either of them for about 30 years

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 1:07 pm

babybird wrote:
I always preferred home and away but I've not watched either of them for about 30 years

And now you'll never, ever be able to see Neighbours again :(

A sign of the times. People want reality dating shows now, not happy, cosy escapism. :roll:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 3:25 am

KitLily wrote:
Yes. English soaps are always miserable but Australian ones tend to be sunny, warm, and people care about each other.

I'm afraid the reality of suburban life is that, Nobody talks to their neighbours.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 4:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I'm afraid the reality of suburban life is that, Nobody talks to their neighbours.

We used to when I was little (in the 70s and 80s). My family was friends with all the neighbouring families, we'd have parties and events like Bonfire Night together. Drinks parties at Christmas etc. Happy days.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 5:50 am

I was 6 when it started so it's been a constant companion throughout my life. I'm sad it's ending although for my money it's a pale imitation now of what it was. My partner still watches it religiously, I dip in when I've got nothing better to do.

I'd like them to start repeating the old ones when it ends. Or even better, use CGI to reinstate all the old characters and set design into the storyline before it ends and work the entire narrative back to the beginning so it exists as an infinite loop of melodrama and can run indefinitely. They won't do that. But they should.

Also, this is me outside the Kennedy's house. I was in Melbourne so I couldn't resist a pilgrimage.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 5:54 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

We used to when I was little (in the 70s and 80s). My family was friends with all the neighbouring families, we'd have parties and events like Bonfire Night together. Drinks parties at Christmas etc. Happy days.

For us it was the 70s. By the 80s only the kids talked to their neighbour's kids. The neighbourhood we lived in started transforming into a bourgeoises place where people became pretentious and walked around with airs.

Ramsey street is a fantasy of how things were, they no longer exist except maybe in remote rural towns.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 9:41 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Also, this is me outside the Kennedy's house. I was in Melbourne so I couldn't resist a pilgrimage.

Wow! *bowing to you* What a photo to have! Well done, sir! Very well done.

I still like Neighbours, but not the storylines involving stalkers and explosions. My favourite storylines are relationships, where people are getting tangled up with saying the wrong thing, misunderstanding, and having to untangle all of that. And they still do pretty good funny storylines, which are lacking in American soaps and probably British ones. Australians have the closest sense of humour to Brits IMO.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 9:43 am

cyberdad wrote:
For us it was the 70s. By the 80s only the kids talked to their neighbour's kids. The neighbourhood we lived in started transforming into a bourgeoises place where people became pretentious and walked around with airs.

Ramsey street is a fantasy of how things were, they no longer exist except maybe in remote rural towns.

I think you're probably right. The 70s was definitely very friendly. The 80s was all yuppies and 'greed is good'. Although my parents were VERY sociable so we had parties til I was in my 30s.

We had games nights too- Monopoly, Cluedo etc. I miss those. No one goes to each other's houses now. It's all done via internet.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 11:25 am

KitLily wrote:

My partner has one of her hugging Harold Bishop. That one makes me jealous.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 12:24 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
KitLily wrote:

My partner has one of her hugging Harold Bishop. That one makes me jealous.

OMG! Me too! Lucky her! I couldn't find a jealous emoji though :oops:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 4:34 pm

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I think you're probably right. The 70s was definitely very friendly. The 80s was all yuppies and 'greed is good'. Although my parents were VERY sociable so we had parties til I was in my 30s.

We had games nights too- Monopoly, Cluedo etc. I miss those. No one goes to each other's houses now. It's all done via internet.

Additionally kids no longer play in the street so the organic way we met and made friends in our local neighborhood doesn't apply anymore.