Steven King films with swearing children

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 1:27 pm

This could be a question for those around my age.
I remember being shocked at how much the kids in IT, or 'stand by me' swore. This was in the 80's but those 2 movies were set in the 50's or 60's.

Did American kids really talk like that ever? Or in certain bad neighbourhoods?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 8:09 am

Most of my childhood was in the 70s and I don't recall a lot of strong profanity among us. It was usually more saying words that rhymed with dirty words for laughs, and lots of sexual innuendo when we got into our teens.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 11:06 am

Thanks, it seemed really shocking and out of place when I first watched those 2 films.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 8:51 pm

Pfft! Sure they do, they think it makes them sound more grown-up. But it really makes them sound even less mature, and then by the time they're adults it becomes a bad habit.

And a lot of PG rated Hollywood movies I watched in the 80s as a kid have contained swearing basically because they wanted to avoid getting a G rating, because they think if the movie is G rated no one except very young children will want to see it. Which is strange, since most these same movies had other stuff that was really scary or disturbing or had innuendo and junk. But now there are animated kid's movies that are rated PG and they don't really have any of that, which is even more strange.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 7:13 am

Ahh that explains it. Kid's movies since then haven't had kids cussin' up a storm like that.
It was quite obnoxious like someone being too tryhard.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2022, 2:31 pm

Hmm, now that you bring attention to it, I guess they did swear a lot for a movie at the time. I never really paid much attention. There were a few people around me who cursed like sailors so it fell on deaf ears to me. :lol:

But I think sometimes being around it you pick it up too unintentionally. Especially, when they're used as adjectives for everyday use. :roll:

For me it was the problem of autism and parroting what you hear. Yeah. It took me years to flush that mostly out of my vocabulary. And just to be clear it wasn't my parents who cursed, it was the older teenage boys that hung out with my big bro. So I think younger kids in any age will follow what the older kids they look up to are doing.

Or you just pick up the vernacular if you hear it enough.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."