Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 2:29 am

I have seen a couple youtube videos, talking about this movie and saying it was really creepy and not the fun whimsical family film adverts may have portrayed it as. I plan to watch it soon but before I watch I was curious if any of you have seen it do you think it is worth watching or a waste of time.

I just have seen videos about it on youtube describing it as one of the creepiest children's films ever, so I am curious to see it but just curious what people who have seen it think, though I don't want spoilers as I have never watched it before just want to know if it really is disturbing or if random youtubers are jsut trying to make a hype about it.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2022, 4:02 am

I didn't see it until I was an adult. It is creepy. I don't know if it's an entirely successful film, but what made me appreciate it was seeing other Oz sequels, like the animated "Journey Back to Oz," which do less with the same source material.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2022, 11:39 am

I saw it as a kid & really wish I hadn't. It includes a dark healthcare facility & electroshock therapy. Oz is dark & decrepit.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2022, 12:56 pm

I was creeped out by it as a kid and I loved it. I agree with Jim Henson, although this isn't one of his films. It's ok for kids to be a little scared. Nothing in it is as freaky as watching the emperor Skeksis crumble. Ok maybe the Wheelies are and the heads... The many heads....

You need to watch it. Now that you're an adult the 80s special effects won't be as realistic, but I still think it's a great film.

The tok tok man had a real grown man inside him.

I can't find a video of him. It's pretty impressive how he squeezed himself into it.

Edit: I watched it at my Mum's friends house with a group of other children. I can't remember who was there. I wish I could ask them what their memories of it were. I wore an 80s red jumpsuit.

Mephitidae
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Oct 2022, 11:26 am

hurtloam wrote:
The tok tok man had a real grown man inside him.

the cool part is that person is upside down 'walking' with their hands..

yes you need to see this move, i watched it as a kid and loved it and watched it as an adult and loved it more...

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 12:19 pm

I found it creepy when I saw it as a kid. I haven't seen it since. Trivia: Dorothy is played by the actress who played the neo-nazi girl in American History X. She was equally scary in both roles.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 12:40 pm

It seems to be a cult classic. There's a loyal group of fans that love the movie for being darker and edgier than MGM's The Wizard of Oz, while others said it traumatized them as kids. I wouldn't know since I've never watched it and don't plan to any time soon.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 1:01 pm

This is shockingly faithful to the books. If you've read them you'll love it. Everything instantly recognizable. No shying away from the 19th century mentality.