Should children be exposed to this on Disney?

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:26 am

I thought this might be a little over the top for Disney to show little kids

PenPen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Feb 2023, 1:08 pm

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you."

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 1:26 pm

As much as I love Disney and think their movies are beautiful, that company is in some hot water right now. For example, they have been sneaking sexual messages into those movies we all love. For example, if you noticed, Aladdin's voice actor said, "All good teenagers take their clothes off." Do I love those movies? Yes I still watch them but I am more careful. Additionally, they are also in trouble for having human trafficking rings.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 1:28 pm

There is Conservative rhetoric about how there is an antiwhite agenda in liberal media. This is NOT helping.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 1:31 pm

perhaps a bit complex for children, but then again the Proud Family has a 10+ (years) on commensensemedia.org which is around the age when children start becoming truly aware of the world around them, and if they are aware of the injustices of the past, they can work to better the future, and other righteous mumbo jumbo.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 4:02 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
There is Conservative rhetoric about how there is an antiwhite agenda in liberal media. This is NOT helping.

Facts are now obliged to care about some people's feelings, otherwise they're part of an anti-white agenda. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 4:36 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

Facts are now obliged to care about some people's feelings, otherwise they're part of an anti-white agenda. :lol:

I would prefer it if both the far right and far left shut the hell up.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 4:47 pm

I don't see what's wrong with it. A younger child might not understand what's going in. The original Proud Family came out when I was 14, about the same age Penny Proud, the main character in this show is supposed to be. Even though I was the same age as her, I couldn't really keep up with her social shenanigans.

But then again, I only watched the show because becoming a veterinarian was/is my special interest and Penny's mother is one. I wanted to see an episode or two about her mother at work.

Anyway, I don't see what's so wrong with this segment in a kid's show. For an older, and more socially aware child, it would be a good history lesson for them. Not all schools teach this stuff. I've seen a few episodes of the new show and it seems like it's aimed at older kids.

Last edited by MagicMeerkat on 08 Feb 2023, 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 4:59 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

I would prefer it if both the far right and far left shut the hell up.

Why are minority concerns and narratives always treated as inherently 'far left'?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:06 pm

I don't want to debate the content of the animated Disney show, I am more interested whether children (perhaps even toddlers) have the cognitive capacity to understand the message??

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:13 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Additionally, they are also in trouble for having human trafficking rings.

There were FOUR Disney employees caught in a state-wide perv sting that netted more than 100 people in total. Disney currently has about 220,000 employees in Florida. One of the four was looking to do nasty stuff with a child online and the other three solicited someone (an adult) they thought was a hooker. Two of them worked in the park; the other two worked in IT.

I have no personal stake in the issue, but I would like to suggest/request you word things more carefullly. Gov. DeSantis has a major grudge against Disney, so I guarantee you will hear crap from a smear campaign or ten. Consider the context and the source and ask yourself if you want to help spread mis- and disinformation.

Last edited by KimD on 08 Feb 2023, 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:18 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I don't want to debate the content of the animated Disney show, I am more interested whether children (perhaps even toddlers) have the cognitive capacity to understand the message??

The show isn't aimed at toddlers though.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:29 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

It's a popular Disney cartoon. parents would let toddlers would watch it even if they don't understand the dialogue.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:37 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

It's a popular Disney cartoon. parents would let toddlers would watch it even if they don't understand the dialogue.

That's not really Disney's issue though. Disney needs to worry about if the show is understood by their target demographic.

If they worried about if every kid that gets plopped in front of their show will understand it they'd only make shows for toddlers.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
That's not really Disney's issue though. Disney needs to worry about if the show is understood by their target demographic.

If they worried about if every kid that gets plopped in front of their show will understand it they'd only make shows for toddlers.

This issue came up numerous times when the Simpsons was first released. I had a cousin who had two toddlers who were absolutely addicted to the Simpsons. In their childcare the Simpsons was the most popular cartoon watched by toddlers at that time. We all know the gags in the Simpsons was actually aimed at adults.

This particular cartoon is > simpsons in terms of "cuteness" so I'm fairly sure its watched by range of ages

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 5:58 pm

Toddlers really shouldn’t be watching much TV. Most parents are aware of this because pediatricians give them guidelines.

I know of parents who take their 6/7 year olds (or younger) to see horror movies.

Companies shouldn’t be expected to limit their content UNLESS it’s to their specific, target audience. Stupid parents aren’t their problem. Kids programming would be awfully boring if it was all based on what is or isn’t appropriate for toddlers.