Final Instalment of Netflix's "Last Kingdom"

Page 6 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 12:22 am

Sigbold wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fascinating. Wasn't there a belief in the old days you would your death if you took a bath?

Most likely the answer to that question is no. And that believe can probably be traced back to misconceptions that where formed during the Victorian era.

I imagine a Victorian nobleman running away in his finest tunic from a knave with a bar of soap :lol:

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 12:25 am

cyberdad wrote:
Sigbold wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fascinating. Wasn't there a belief in the old days you would your death if you took a bath?

Most likely the answer to that question is no. And that believe can probably be traced back to misconceptions that where formed during the Victorian era.

I imagine a Victorian nobleman running away in his finest tunic from a knave with a bar of soap :lol:

Well London during the industrial revolution was dirtier then during the Middle Ages anway :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 12:29 am

Ah yes! the industrial age in Britain

Justin Trudeau would have loved this time :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 2:56 am

cyberdad wrote:
Actually the military pedigree is 2000 years older than the Romans who arrived in Britian around 50BC.
In 2000BC the a nomadic semi-pastoral Indo-European speaking people called the Bell Beakers (named after the "beaked" pottery). In northern Europe these people were also known as the Corded ware people and they basically wiped out the paleolithic people of continental Europe in a matter of one generation. Their use of the horse and bronze weapons made them far superior to Paleolithic populations of Europe, The paleolithic builders of britain's stonhenge shared culture and religious belief with other peoples of pre-IndoEuropean peoples.

The Bell Beaker people wiped out the British population leaving them to dominate Britain from 2000BC to 500BC by which time the modern celts arrived in Britain (from which Britain gets its name). The Celts did the same wiping out the Bell Beaker people leaving perhaps the remnants in northern Scotland (Picts?). These tribes ruled for 500 years before the Romans arrived. From the Romans we know that the Celts fought amongst themselves in constant wars and practiced human sacrifice. So even before the Romans Britain was populated by a fiercely warlike people. The Romans did introduce the idea of a regimented military which was adopted.

I think that just shows how violent humans are in general, I expect this happened all over the world, not just Britain. When humans want territory, they kill each other.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 2:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
btw Cyberdad, did you know The Last Kingdom has 5 series and a film to finish the series off? I'm not sure you saw my comment earlier.

Yes I've seen all 4 series + the film. As with a lot of series the first made the biggest impact watching the story of Uhtred and how he was cheated out of his birthright to Bamburgh Castle by his uncle and his (and a young Saxon girl's) adoption by invading Danes. Enjoyed his relationship with young Ragnar and his first contact with the then King of Wessex Alfred.

It was great wasn't it. A brilliant series, obviously the books are brilliant too but I prefer TV/films. I haven't got the good eyesight to read long books anymore :(

I liked the last series where we saw Uhtred's son, young Uhtred and daughter Stiorra, grow up into adults and cause their own problems with him! Kids eh.

Last edited by KitLily on 06 May 2023, 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 3:07 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Then there was a period in the 18th century when English kings were German and didn't speak English.

England/Britain has been invaded A LOT! :lol:

Oh yes! completely also forgot about the Royal family and their ancestry to the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha line of Germany. I don't want to say anything unkind about seeing HRH as a child with her favourite uncle doing this.
Or hearing the new King of England speak perfect German.

Yes, it's hard to keep up with all the invasions and foreign powers which have taken over Britain over the centuries! No wonder we're a mixed bunch of people!

It's quite weird in a way that England and Germany went to war, as they are all related! You'd think it would be some other countries that fought.

Apparently Edward VIII was an actual Nazi collaborator, I watched a documentary about him that said he actually gave away secrets to the Nazis! Thank god he wasn't king for long!

Why is it odd that the King speaks perfect German? He speaks lots of languages.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 3:55 am

KitLily wrote:
I liked the last series where we saw Uhtred's son, young Uhtred and daughter Stiorra, grow up into adults and cause their own problems with him! Kids eh.

Oh yes, I kinda lost track of the kids but one of them became a monk I think. Did Stiorra leave?

Last edited by cyberdad on 06 May 2023, 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 4:00 am

KitLily wrote:

I was actually talking to my wife about this! traditionally the male heirs would receive a mix of military training, schooled in the best private schools and universities and private education at home on the arts and languages.

The British royals might actually all speak several languages. Phillip could certainly speak Greek. It would be quite funny to hear the Queen talking privately to a young Charles "Charles, spuck das aus und iss dein Abendessen"

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 5:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Oh yes, I kinda lost track of the kids but one of them became a monk I think. Did Stiorra leave?

She was in series 5 but not the film, which was a bit odd. Young Uhtred became a monk and changed his name, can't remember what to. I'm not sure if he became a monk because he wanted to or because of the terrible injury he suffered in series 5, that was horrible. He was in the film, he obviously survived the injury.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 5:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I was actually talking to my wife about this! traditionally the male heirs would receive a mix of military training, schooled in the best private schools and universities and private education at home on the arts and languages.

The British royals might actually all speak several languages. Phillip could certainly speak Greek. It would be quite funny to hear the Queen talking privately to a young Charles "Charles, spuck das aus und iss dein Abendessen"

Yes they are royalty, they only have to hint they like something and they get it on a plate! e.g. lessons, training.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 6:26 am

KitLily wrote:
She was in series 5 but not the film, which was a bit odd. Young Uhtred became a monk and changed his name, can't remember what to. I'm not sure if he became a monk because he wanted to or because of the terrible injury he suffered in series 5, that was horrible. He was in the film, he obviously survived the injury.

I was actually worried all Uhtred's Danish kids would end up victims of King Ethelred's long night of the knives.

Last edited by cyberdad on 06 May 2023, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 6:33 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Yes they are royalty, they only have to hint they like something and they get it on a plate! e.g. lessons, training.

They have access to a lot of privilege. But I suppose they are born to it. I feel Prince Harry's foray into escaping his royal duties is a decision he is already regretting. While he may live financially comfortably of his name for the rest of his life (much like his distant relative Edward did before WWII) he has lost a lot of respect and access to special rights that his children Archie and Lilllybeth will miss out on. The latter are going to grow up as Californian and will be estranged from their grandfather King Charles, Uncle Prince William and their cousins, especially their cousin George, the future king.

I feel it would have been better for them in Buckingham palace surrounded by people at their beck and call.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 8:33 am

I'm so sick of hearing about the royal family's arguments, and Harry and Meghan's ups and downs.

There's a lot of poverty in Britain, people are struggling to live healthily, we have real problems. We don't want to worry about rich people's first world problems!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 10:11 am

KitLily wrote:
I'm so sick of hearing about the royal family's arguments, and Harry and Meghan's ups and downs.

There's a lot of poverty in Britain, people are struggling to live healthily, we have real problems. We don't want to worry about rich people's first world problems!

What did you think about King Charles forking out 100m pounds of taxpayer money to see him and his adulteress consort parade around in stolen jewels from India?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 10:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
What did you think about King Charles forking out 100m pounds of taxpayer money to see him and his adulteress consort parade around in stolen jewels from India?

They and our government are in league to bankrupt the UK.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 10:53 am

Liz's coronation cost approx £1.5 million in 1953 which today equates to approx £53 million + cost of living crisis :jester: