New Little Mermaid Movie Absolutely Fantastic

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 3:50 am

In Africa and Asia I think their version of mermaid are water spirits or what are called "Sprites" or "nymphs" in European folklore

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 9:10 pm

At least we didn't get this:

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 9:25 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
At least we didn't get this:

You'd be surprised how old the mermaid concept is
http://www.bibleorigins.net/AdapaAdamPi ... shmen.html

Believe it or not the fishman is a precursor to Jesus. This is why jesus is known as the fisher of men, why his disciples were fishermen, why he is associated with the fish in christianity

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 9:41 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Was all the backlash simply because of Halle Bailey?

I did hear that they were changing the lyrics to Kiss the Girl, but Ariel did give non-verbal hints to Eric that she wanted him to kiss her.

My main criticisms would be (a) the notion that one is racist if they don't like this one better than the '89 version, and (b) this one actually applies to many Disney princess films, the whole "you need a man to validate you" mindset.

No it was because Halle Bailey is black, they felt ariel shouldn't be played by a black person. Idk why it matters since mermaids are fish people, they probably would not even have a specific human race to begin with.

I personally think the issue there is that if they wanted something more inclusive, it would have been better to find one of the various mermaid tales from somewhere else to base the movie on. That way, they could have both been inclusive and given us something that we might actually want.

As it is, they've apparently made the movie much longer without giving the audience anything to justify the runtime. Really, people just need to stop going to these retreads, as it's the only way that Disney will bother to create anything new.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 9:45 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
. Really, people just need to stop going to these retreads, as it's the only way that Disney will bother to create anything new.

100% agree....Disney do have a bad habit of milking the marketing value of popular tales whether it be from fairy tales or science fiction novels or past Disney classics re-imagined.

The worst thing they produced recently was a remake of the very popular fantasy movie "Willow" which the remake was dreadful.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 10:00 pm

Oh and to those that say woke = broke

The Little Mermaid (2023) Gross takings
Domestic (63.7%) $138,583,114.
International (36.3%) $78,961,126.
$217,544,240.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt5971474/
Total budget for film = $250m
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Littl ... (2023_film)

It looks set to break even very shortly. Not bad given the global review bombing aimed at Disney and the poor approval ratings from rotten tomatoes and so called experts predicting it would not break $100m at the box office

My response to right wing conservatives

enz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 10:15 pm

Its good that kid's see themselves represented in lead roles on screen. The black elves/dwarves/harfoot didn't affect the power of the rings for me

I'm not so sure about kids seeing "alternative history" that never happened and forming opinions based on that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 10:22 pm

Sophisticated campaign of review bombing aimed at little mermaid globally being carried out by racist trolls
https://thedirect.com/article/little-me ... mbing-imdb

The review bombing may have impacted the Chinese market the hardest where the turn out to see the Little Mermaid was almost non-existence.

Quite insidious

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 12:06 pm

People are enjoying the movie. That's fine. As long they aren't calling me a bigot or whatever just because I have no intention of seeing the film myself.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 6:59 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
People are enjoying the movie. That's fine. As long they aren't calling me a bigot or whatever just because I have no intention of seeing the film myself.

If it's because of she's black, the shoe fits.
If it's because you're a grown man who doesn't have children, it doesn't fit.

The fact that you're so worried about it makes it feel like the former is more likely than the latter.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 7:47 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

The fact that you're so worried about it makes it feel like the former is more likely than the latter.

It's because the film has other inferior qualities, but far left mobs on social media would like to believe I'm a bigot even though those inferior qualities have nothing to do with having a black actress.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 8:03 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

It's because the film has other inferior qualities, but far left mobs on social media would like to believe I'm a bigot even though those inferior qualities have nothing to do with having a black actress.

Care to elaborate? I'm not going to be watching it either, but it's because I don't believe it's a worthwhile investment of my time.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 8:06 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:

I was watching a far right podcaster review the movie and she was picking holes in plot lines, character development and canonical adherence to Hans Christian Anderson :roll:

But even she was "enchanted" by Haile Berry's voice. I mean she (the actress) basically smashed it. After watching the new little Mermaid I can no longer remember (or care to remember) the old original Ariel. This reminded me back in in 1991 when Whitney Houston was scheduled to sing the national anthem at the superbowl. I read an editorial by some whack journalist on why she was going to mangle/ruin the national anthem because somehow he suspected she was "anti-American". What happened remains the single greatest rendition of the US American national anthem in the history of the world. Whitney Houston hit it out of the ball park. Even "old boy" white men in the crowd were silent and I remember suspected some of them has a tear running down their face.

So it's not about politics or believing some stupid review. It's about having an experience. Sometimes you have to put away your biases and prejudices and watch a performance on the big screen. I have been pleasantly surprised watching theatrical Disney performances (which I cringed prior) like Julie Andrew's sound of Music or Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. I'm not a fan of either. But I appreciate good art and take my hat off to both.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 8:09 pm

Sorry Sound of Music is Rogers and Hammerstein (I think?)

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 8:44 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

Care to elaborate? I'm not going to be watching it either, but it's because I don't believe it's a worthwhile investment of my time.

From what clips I've seen, some underwater scenes are too dark. I know the ocean is dark in real life the further down you explore, but sometimes realism isn't a good idea. Sebastian and Flounder look terrible. Again, shooting for realism is not a good idea. Triton's kingdom doesn't even look like an Atlantian kingdom. The movie is way too long. All that runtime going past the animated version's might be for needlessly stretching scenes out or even adding pointless ones. Lastly, Scuttlebutt. Just what we need, another source of noise or a terrible song that makes everyone's brain cells commit suicide one by one.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 10:29 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

From what clips I've seen, some underwater scenes are too dark. I know the ocean is dark in real life the further down you explore, but sometimes realism isn't a good idea. Sebastian and Flounder look terrible. Again, shooting for realism is not a good idea. Triton's kingdom doesn't even look like an Atlantian kingdom. The movie is way too long. All that runtime going past the animated version's might be for needlessly stretching scenes out or even adding pointless ones. Lastly, Scuttlebutt. Just what we need, another source of noise or a terrible song that makes everyone's brain cells commit suicide one by one.

Actually if I was being fair I couldn't necessarily argue against some of these points :lol:
I look at Disney animation like a carnival ride.Just have fun, it's not really meant to be taken seriously.