Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2007, 5:23 pm

I assume many people have heard about the tv writers' strike. I've been following it closely, and wrote a 9 page paper on it for my Communications class. Because my AS obsessions are TV shows and all that relates to them, I've had a lot of high anxiety lately, because it looks like we could go for long periods with no new TV. Ellen is a show that really calms me down - it shut down, but Ellen crossed the picket line and it will resume Friday. I figured a lot of people here are also really into TV, and might be worried about it too, so I figured I'd start this topic (I dont think one's been started?)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 5:38 pm

Are animated sitcoms being affected by this?

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

JimmyNeurtonRules
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 6:03 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

No, just live action shows

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2007, 6:51 pm

From what I understand shows such as Late Night Shows (David Letterman, Tonight show...), certain daytime talk shows and maybe a few sitcoms.

alex
Developer
Developer

07 Nov 2007, 7:00 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6hqP0c0_gw&eurl=http://defamer.com/[/youtube]

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 7:21 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

Certain ones may be affected if the strike continues much longer.

Novinha
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2007, 9:32 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

I don't know why they wouldn't be. They rely on scripts as much as any other show...
Personally, I'm really hoping they'll pack it in soon. I know a lot of writers don't earn much, and could use the extra money they're asking for... but that's the risk you take when you get involved with Hollywood (or the music business. Or pretty much anything else related to entertainment). There are plenty of actors, musicians, directors, etc. who are paid very, very poorly and are lucky even to find that work. Why should writers get special treatment? And in any case, they're ready to put a lot of innocent people out of work just to make these demands.
Sorry if I'm being cruel, but... I do not sympathize with the writers. Even if I like what they produce. Even though I write (not screenplays) myself. End of story.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 10:17 pm

Anything that relies on daily writing teams is already affected. The late night talk shows are already shut down (and in reruns), some dramas have shut down (and have a couple shows left to broadcast). Soap operas are said to be okay until the new year. Reality shows supposedly don't use writers.
My favorite show only has two shows left, The Office. And Steve Carell isn't crossing the picket line so they aren't filming. They employ writer-performers.

alex
Developer
Developer

07 Nov 2007, 10:46 pm

Novinha wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

I don't know why they wouldn't be. They rely on scripts as much as any other show...
Personally, I'm really hoping they'll pack it in soon. I know a lot of writers don't earn much, and could use the extra money they're asking for... but that's the risk you take when you get involved with Hollywood (or the music business. Or pretty much anything else related to entertainment). There are plenty of actors, musicians, directors, etc. who are paid very, very poorly and are lucky even to find that work. Why should writers get special treatment? And in any case, they're ready to put a lot of innocent people out of work just to make these demands.
Sorry if I'm being cruel, but... I do not sympathize with the writers. Even if I like what they produce. Even though I write (not screenplays) myself. End of story.

I don't think you understand how Hollywood works. The writers have good reason to strike. They're part of a union and the idiot studios are not paying the writers for the display of their work online through a sneaky loophole among other things.

AspieMartian
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2007, 2:32 pm

I support this strike 100%. There needs to be changes in the entertainment industry over rights and royalties that match the changes in media outlet, like DVDs and the Internet, for the people who are the creative force behind the industry, and it needs to start somewhere. Musicians aren't unionized in this way, and guess what, the Actors' Guild have been planning a similar strike for next summer. It's due time, in other words. Sorry if you are inconvenienced and have to make effort to find other ways to amuse yourselves - don't expect sympathy from me. This is America. People deserve to be paid properly and fairly for their work, not exploited and screwed over by big corporation bullies. That's why unions and guilds are part of our nation. And God bless them.

And yes, this will effect workers in the industry on many levels, as Eva Longoria so pathetically whimpered about on camera the other day. That's how strikes work - by demonstrating to the higher-ups have valuable to the industry these people are. And it's not like they didn't try negotiating before this. It's not very ethical to say the writers have to put up with unfair practices so Susie the Make-Up Artist can work this week or because the non-paying coach potatoes at home will be annoyed because they don't get a full season of "24.". How would you feel if someone told you that? That you don't deserve to be paid fairly for your work, and then you shouldn't complain because it might hurt someone else's paycheck or it might cut into someone else's veg time? Yeah, I wouldn't be very happy about that myself.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 7:17 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

It's a separate union that's not on strike. In fact, the Writer's Guild has a deal with them to allow WG members to write for animated shows if the strike goes on too long.

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2007, 8:21 pm

AspieMartian wrote:
I support this strike 100%. There needs to be changes in the entertainment industry over rights and royalties that match the changes in media outlet, like DVDs and the Internet, for the people who are the creative force behind the industry, and it needs to start somewhere. Musicians aren't unionized in this way, and guess what, the Actors' Guild have been planning a similar strike for next summer. It's due time, in other words. Sorry if you are inconvenienced and have to make effort to find other ways to amuse yourselves - don't expect sympathy from me. This is America. People deserve to be paid properly and fairly for their work, not exploited and screwed over by big corporation bullies. That's why unions and guilds are part of our nation. And God bless them.

And yes, this will effect workers in the industry on many levels, as Eva Longoria so pathetically whimpered about on camera the other day. That's how strikes work - by demonstrating to the higher-ups have valuable to the industry these people are. And it's not like they didn't try negotiating before this. It's not very ethical to say the writers have to put up with unfair practices so Susie the Make-Up Artist can work this week or because the non-paying coach potatoes at home will be annoyed because they don't get a full season of "24.". How would you feel if someone told you that? That you don't deserve to be paid fairly for your work, and then you shouldn't complain because it might hurt someone else's paycheck or it might cut into someone else's veg time? Yeah, I wouldn't be very happy about that myself.

It might bad for consumers though. I definitely see the MPAA and others utilizing this to push for greater Digital Rights Management and more draconian Copyright measures.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 8:44 pm

It kind of sucks because I enjoy watching primetime shows, but in a way I'm not too bothered by it because I could use a break from those shows. Too many shows to keep up with and so little time.

Novinha
Toucan
Toucan

09 Nov 2007, 7:36 pm

alex wrote:
Novinha wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

I don't think you understand how Hollywood works. The writers have good reason to strike. They're part of a union and the idiot studios are not paying the writers for the display of their work online through a sneaky loophole among other things.

That would be how a just world would work, taking care of sneaky loopholes. But speaking as someone who lives there? Hollywood is a forest of sneaky loopholes. Anyone who avoids them is lucky, and anyone who doesn't think they are there is naive. There are an awful lot of people looking for as big a piece as they can get of what TV and movies make, and I get the feeling that either the writers are not going to come out with what they want (and so will have hurt a lot of people for nothing), or the money to pay for their increased cut is not going to come out of the pockets of the people who could stand to give up a little extra.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 7:37 pm

As a writer myself I think that they deserve to get paid more. :P But I'm obviously biased.

Seriously, though. Screenplay writing is easier said than done. Watch the quality of the writing in TV and movies go downhill when they hire second-rate scabs....

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2007, 4:11 pm

Considering that I get most of my news from the Daily Show and the Colbert Report, I am taking this very well.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!